• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is that a light color break on a CGC 9.4?

61 posts in this topic

I'm guessing it's a scratch on the CGC holder. There's a slightly larger scan in the Heritage archive, and the white line looks slightly bowed. Also, and I might be imagining this, but the line seems to go beyond the bottom of the cover, into the area where the pages are showing.

I could also be completely full of malarky. T'would not be the first time(or the last!).

Not malarky, I think. I, too, took a close look at the Heritage scan, zoomed in, and it does seem like the line extends beyond the bottom cover -- looking like a scratch on the case. Beautiful book...worth a call to CGC or Heritage?

Dennis

It seems to get more pronounced as you go down which suggests it may be a bend with some of the overlying ink rubbed off.

It may be semantics, but if that's true it's not technically a color-breaking crease.

If the rest of the book is "mint", then technically it's "near" mint - no?

Manipulating the Brightness/Contrast levels of the Heritage scan in exposes a possible crack in the bottom edge of the case about a half-inch in. It also looks plausible that the "crease" is part of that damage, extending up and over from the bottom.

Argument could easily be made that the book has no damage...

CGC grades GA books under the assumption that because they are bigger, a crease of that size would be much smaller on a SA, BA or Modern book. Thus the 9.4.

And yes, I've seen many a Silver Age book get a 9.4 with a small color breaking corner crease. This is consistent from CGC.

Frankly, I don't necessarily agree with the sliding scale theory, but I do agree that a book with a color breaking crease, if very small can get a 9.4.

Don't know whether that book actually has a crease, but if that's the only defect, then I would have no problem giving it a 9.4.

Brent

I had a Sipdey #101 with a partial crease in the same spot and the book got a 9.4 from CGC. I also had the book graded at 9.4 raw before i sent it in.

A lot of times it is not the defect itself that causes the decline in grade but rather the SIZE of the defect.

ie small miswrap, 9.8/9.9, larger miswrap 9.6.

Likewise a very small crease and the book can fetch a 9.6/9.8 but as the crease increases in size the grade drops.

There used to be a chart in the Overstreet Grading Guide (not sure if it is in the current one) that had a table which related size of defect to grade. It's very usefull info.

If that Action is other wise flawless it's probably a 9.4 through and through.

R.

I'm guessing it's a scratch on the CGC holder. There's a slightly larger scan in the Heritage archive, and the white line looks slightly bowed. Also, and I might be imagining this, but the line seems to go beyond the bottom of the cover, into the area where the pages are showing.

I could also be completely full of malarky. T'would not be the first time(or the last!).

I actually hope you are right because I can't see a color break on a 9.4. I also doubt it would be caused by shaken slab syndrom (sp?).

Looks like it was on the book. I love CGC to death, but frankly have grown a bit concerned with some of their grading from 2005-present. I've just seen a noticeable decline in standards for high grade books of every major Age and that concerns me.

Haven't there been a number of threads recently where people are submitting 9.0s and they are coming back as 9.6s? There is no way that should happen, not even accidentally. My last submission (early this year) had several Bronze Age books that I pegged as 9.0s/9.2s also come back as 9.6s. I mean, I don't want to kill the golden goose, but there is a reason I tend to focus on buying old label books whenever I can.

Maybe its just my perception that's erroneous, but I've seen enough books in the last couple of years to the point where its become a noticeable trend.

Can you point me to some of these threads? Based on my resubs in the last 2 years or so, granted a small sample size of 15 or so, this is an erroneous assumption. Off the top of my head, I've had 3 come back one grade higher, 2 come back one grade lower, 1 came back wayyyy lower but it suffered damage somewhere along the line and the rest came back same grade. Except page quality, that seems to be a pretty consistent bump up from the old label slabs. I've had at least 3 books with Cr/Ow come back as Ow/W which is a 2 tier bump up. But hey if your assumption works for you, who am I to rain on your parade. Maybe if more people start to believe this I can get new label slabs cheaper :banana:

There is certainly a big difference between cream/ow and offwhite/white for many people buying GA. I believe that even if the grade stays the same, the change in PQ increases the books desirability. Thank god cgc discovered their poor lighting situation in time.

I actually hope you are right because I can't see a color break on a 9.4. I also doubt it would be caused by shaken slab syndrom (sp?).

Looks like it was on the book. I love CGC to death, but frankly have grown a bit concerned with some of their grading from 2005-present. I've just seen a noticeable decline in standards for high grade books of every major Age and that concerns me.

Haven't there been a number of threads recently where people are submitting 9.0s and they are coming back as 9.6s? There is no way that should happen, not even accidentally. My last submission (early this year) had several Bronze Age books that I pegged as 9.0s/9.2s also come back as 9.6s. I mean, I don't want to kill the golden goose, but there is a reason I tend to focus on buying old label books whenever I can.

Maybe its just my perception that's erroneous, but I've seen enough books in the last couple of years to the point where its become a noticeable trend.

Can you point me to some of these threads? Based on my resubs in the last 2 years or so, granted a small sample size of 15 or so, this is an erroneous assumption. Off the top of my head, I've had 3 come back one grade higher, 2 come back one grade lower, 1 came back wayyyy lower but it suffered damage somewhere along the line and the rest came back same grade. Except page quality, that seems to be a pretty consistent bump up from the old label slabs. I've had at least 3 books with Cr/Ow come back as Ow/W which is a 2 tier bump up. But hey if your assumption works for you, who am I to rain on your parade. Maybe if more people start to believe this I can get new label slabs cheaper :banana:

Here's one. Metro 9.2s coming back as 9.6s...go figure.

I haven't actually resubbed anything in the last year or two, so I can't comment specifically on books that have come back higher. My comment was just to the fact that I tend to find more sharp tightly graded high grade books in old labels (assuming no slab damage) then newer labels. I'm going to submit about two dozen books sometime this year though, some previously graded, and I'll be happy to report the outcome.

The Metro 9.2 to 9.6 isn't a resub. Granted Metro isn't known for undergrading but from what I'm hearing they have really tightened up their grading. I've sub'ed somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 books since '03 and I've had plenty of examples where the grade I thought I'd get was a couple of notches lower than what CGC gave it. This is not a new phenomenon. The only real way to judge if their standards have declined is to resub previously graded books. I'd love to have people chime in that have resub'ed books without any "enhancement" and see what their results were.

The Metro 9.2 to 9.6 isn't a resub.

Never said it was.

The only real way to judge if their standards have declined is to resub previously graded books.

That's one way. I have no problem with anecdotal evidence either. People's perceptions of grading standards, whether justified by empirical evidence or not, are just as important. Like you said, if people are swayed away from new label books because of a perceived slack in grading, its to the benefit of the other buyers in the market.

I'll be happy to report back after my next submission. I have several books I'm cracking and resubbing without "enhancement", and am curious to see if they get bumped up.