• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

Looks like some full sets selling in Adventure Auction...........bummer.

Yeah...especially the Astounding Stories set...I was hoping to bid on the Lovecraft issues if they came up individually.

[font:Arial][font:Arial]The Doc Savage and Adventure MIGHT hit the next auctions, the WEIRD TALES and the Amazing Stories will not.

I just got off the phone with my buddy (1292), he won the Weird Tales & the Amazings, and you can more or less count on him taking both of them. Even though nothing in this life is for certain, he will pull the trigger on the Amazings, and most likely pull the trigger on the WT.

Remember, if the highest bidder wins a lot and the reserve has not been met, the bidder gets the option to buy the set (at the reserve price), if he turns it down, then it goes into auctions #2-12.

The reserve on the WT is probably somewhere in the $250K range.

Dwight[/font][/font]

Edited by detective35DF

Yes, I appreciated that as well. That's one kooky way of running an auction since all your friend achieved was to get first right of refusal on these runs but I wonder, since he is interested, why not have this discussion in private talks and if no agreement is reached then break the file into the auctions? I know that the auction will raise awareness of the material being offered ... but this is a small market and the auction wasn't really advertised beyond the usual suspects and circles so it's still puzzling.

Good luck to your friend :wishluck:

[font:Arial]I know, I was a little upset that I did not get a chance at the Amazing Stories besdsheets and some of the WT's.

What was more frustrating, is that I was live bidding (via someone at Heritage over the phone) at the Heritage Auction on the one of the Shadow bound volumes (#3) from August 32 - Feb. 33 (with The Creeping Death in it).

The guy doing the phone bidding did not get me bid in on time and this was just after the other guy cut the bid, bascially leaving me to win it, but he did not get my bid in on time. I am telling you, I maybe slept an hour that night because I was so angry and upset.

Dwight[/font]

Edited by detective35DF

[font:Arial][font:Arial]The Doc Savage and Adventure MIGHT hit the next auctions, the WEIRD TALES and the Amazing Stories will not.

I just got off the phone with my buddy (1292), he won the Weird Tales & the Amazings, and you can more or less count on him taking both of them. Even though nothing in this life is for certain, he will pull the trigger on the Amazings, and most likely pull the trigger on the WT.

Remember, if the highest bidder wins a lot and the reserve has not been met, the bidder gets the option to buy the set (at the reserve price), if he turns it down, then it goes into auctions #2-12.

Dwight[/font][/font]

:cry:

250k will bring you a complete run in exceptionally high grade condition of the most prestigious pulp ever.

The same amount of money will fetch you what, a mid-to-acceptable copy of Action 1 or Detective 27?

Whole different playground.

I just took another look at that lot.

Did the bid reach the reserve?

I don't think it did.

It did BZ. If you take a look at the auction now, if the lot has a price on it that means it's sold. If no price at all it didn't meet reserve.

Dwight[/font][/font]

Hey Dwight,

Is your buddy a dealer or a collector? Just curious.

I had no clue that if the reserve wasn't met, then the high bidder got another chance at it. Just doesn't sound like the right thing to do. But I digress........

Dwight[/font][/font]

Hey Dwight,

Is your buddy a dealer or a collector? Just curious.

And if he is a collector, does he plan to begin selling his undercopies any time soon?