• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

Many thanks to a Boardie for the following half-dozen WEIRD TALES:

March, 1933: classic Brundage cover, 3rd appearance of Conan, a Clark Ashton Smith story, 'Buccaneers of Venus' serial by Otis Adelbert Kline continues, etc. Just a terrific issue!

WT_3-33FC.jpg

June, 1934: another great Brundage cover, lead story by Jack Williamson, plus stories by Robert E. Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, August W. Derleth, etc. Another excellent issue.

WT_6-34FC.jpg

November, 1934: Brundage cover, 3-part Conan 'People of the Black Circle' by Howard concludes, stories by E. Hoffman Price and August Derleth, and a classic Lovecraft tale reprinted. Another solid issue.

WT_11-34FC.jpg

December, 1937: classic Finlay cover, an announcement that full page Finlay illustrations begin (the interior illos in this issue are just amazing!), verse by Robert E. Howard, a two-page H. P. Lovecraft yarn, plus stories by Robert Bloch and Edmond Hamilton. Superb issue.

WT_12-37FC.jpg

January, 1948: I had little regard for these later issues, but that's because I hadn't really looked at them. Eerie cover, stories by Theodore Sturgeon, Edmond Hamilton, and that old standby Seabury Quinn. Better than I expected.

WT_1-48FC.jpg

November, 1949: A Matt Fox cover was enough to sell me this issue, but we also get a Jules de Grandin story (by Quinn) and an August Derleth tale. Good issue. That's all folks!

WT11-49FC.jpg

good work, Steve. if you're into reading, 'The Sea Witch' is one of the top ten fantasy novelettes ever. I've enjoyed it countless times throughout the years...

I do some reading, and this story intrigued me right off the bat - thnx for the recommendation.

November, 1949: A Matt Fox cover was enough to sell me this issue, but we also get a Jules de Grandin story (by Quinn) and an August Derleth tale. Good issue. That's all folks!

WT11-49FC.jpg

The cover story is great. Creepy.

March, 1933: classic Brundage cover, 3rd appearance of Conan, a Clark Ashton Smith story, 'Buccaneers of Venus' serial by Otis Adelbert Kline continues, etc. Just a terrific issue!

WT_3-33FC.jpg

In addition to its "classic-ness", I believe it's also just her second WT cover. :applause:

WT_3-33FC.jpg

In addition to its "classic-ness", I believe it's also just her second WT cover. :applause:

Third Brundage Weird Tales cover. She did the cover for the September and October 1932 issues.

Well, it's time for Robert E. Howard Days 2012 and as it's becoming a bit of tradition, I'll be posting an ongoing trip report here. Some of you know I'm in the middle of a family vacation in Maine right now, but I'll be taking a few days off to fly down to Texas first thing in the morning. This year I'll be a participant as well as an attendee as I'm supposed to be on a panel Saturday---that may have changed though as I haven't heard anything in a while. There is also a rumor that I'm going to be refereeing a boxing match Friday night between Howard biographer and comic book writer Mark Finn and his opponent Chris Gruber, the editor of several volumes of Howard's boxing stories. The fight will take place at the old ice house in Cross Plains where Two Gun Bob himself used to box and drink beer with the roughnecks back in the day. Stay tuned!