• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,155 posts in this topic

Good pulps have been scarce lately, but I did just pick up this one...

GhostSuperDetective1b.jpg

Really nice looking copy you got there, Tim. Cool book. I really like the cover art. (thumbs u

That's an amazing two pages of sci-fi and Brundage covers ,by far that Magic Carpet is my favorite I just love the smell and look of pulps as much as old comics.Gentlemen you should be proud of the history you have amassed ,we all know it's not easy with the delicate nature of old pulps.Salute!

Incredible books guys! (worship)

This one is lower grade, but it's one of the tougher REH pulps. This is an El Borak story. "El Borak" ("The Swift" in Arabic) was the nickname of Francis Xavier Gordon, one of Howard's earliest creations. He's a Texan adventure gone native in Central Asia during the height of the Great Game. Imagine Lawrence of Arabia as western gunslinger and that's El Borak. Some of Howards best adventure stories, imo.

TopNotch1934-06fc.jpg

TopNotch1934-06int.jpg

Very nice collection, Stephen! :applause: We've got quite a few extensive Weird Tales collections here on the boards. Perhaps we should start a dedicated Weird Tales thread?

That's a great idea.

Do it :baiting:

So I've finally completed one of my tough collecting goals by acquiring all three parts of REH's essay "The Hyborian Age" in the rare fanzine Phantagraph. This is quest that has taken several years to complete.

PhantagraphFeb1936-1.jpg

PhantagraphFeb1936Interior-1.jpg

PhantagraphTHApart2and3.jpg

Very cool Todd! Welcome to a very small club. :)

Steve, I would say they're roughly comparable. These early issues are probably a little scarcer, especially the first three issues (the issue above with part one of The Hyborian Age is Phantagraph v4 n3 but is really the third issue---the numbering was continuing from a hectographed sf club newsletter with a different name) These three larger format issues seem to have had a lower paper quality than the later ones and are always brittle are therefore extremely scarce. I'm fairly well tapped in to the REH collecting community and I know of the existence of only 6 copies (with a likely 7th) of the above Phantagraph v4n3 with part one of "The Hyborian Age" (Including the one that Todd just got. Given that nothing seems to be as rare as we used to think I would guess that there are between 10-20 copies that survive. Bowling Green probably has a copy in their collection though I don't know that for sure. Presumably the original print run would have been around 50 copies like Fantasy Fan since the audience was the same. If Xaltotun chimes in he may have a better idea of the scarcity. The later issues, especially the 1940's ones are more common (though still scarce relatively speaking. Of course the early issues of Fantasy Fan are are also much scarcer than the later ones.

For those who don't know, Phantagraph was produced by a young Donald Wollheim who went on to become one of great sf and fantasy publishers and editors of the last century.

Edited by Theagenes

I'd hardly call it expertise. I'm still learning about these myself. There was an index of these 30's zines published in the 1960s and I'd love to pick up a copy. BZ do you the index I'm thinking of?