• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,115 posts in this topic

Well, it's time for Robert E. Howard Days 2012 and as it's becoming a bit of tradition, I'll be posting an ongoing trip report here. Some of you know I'm in the middle of a family vacation in Maine right now, but I'll be taking a few days off to fly down to Texas first thing in the morning. This year I'll be a participant as well as an attendee as I'm supposed to be on a panel Saturday---that may have changed though as I haven't heard anything in a while. There is also a rumor that I'm going to be refereeing a boxing match Friday night between Howard biographer and comic book writer Mark Finn and his opponent Chris Gruber, the editor of several volumes of Howard's boxing stories. The fight will take place at the old ice house in Cross Plains where Two Gun Bob himself used to box and drink beer with the roughnecks back in the day. Stay tuned!

Sounds like an exciting trip. :applause:

I'm looking forward to the report, and hopefully, lots of photos.

In the meantime here's my favorite vacation photo so far. We hit WW Philly on the way up and it was my son's first show.

521430_3240617386649_739714802_n.jpg

Goodness gracious. :whistle:

Conventions weren't like this when I was a kid. lol

That's not what I've heard! :whistle:

In the meantime here's my favorite vacation photo so far. We hit WW Philly on the way up and it was my son's first show.

Goodness gracious. :whistle:

Conventions weren't like this when I was a kid. lol

That's not what I've heard! :whistle:

Maybe science fiction conventions were different. :shy:

Your son picked a good one! I didn't see anything like that on Saturday!

Your son picked a good one! I didn't see anything like that on Saturday!

Unfortunately he got a really bad rash afterwards. :eek:

What you need is some Conan covers to get you fired up! Have fun, Jeff! I hope to make it one of these years.

Jun 1933

WeirdTalesVol21No6Jun1933-1.jpg

May 1934

WeirdTalesVol23No5May1934-2.jpg

Aug 1934

WeirdTalesVol24No2Aug1934-3.jpg

Sep 1934

WeirdTalesVol24No3Sep1934-1.jpg

Nov 1935

WeirdTalesVol26No5Nov1935-1.jpg

Dec 1935

WeirdTalesVol26No6Dec1935-3.jpg

Jul 1936

WeirdTalesVol28No1Jul1936.jpg

Superb Conan issue group, Todd.

I'm not convinced that Brundage's particular style was well-suited for the Barbarian, but to be honest I enjoy *anything* she did.

:cloud9:

You're not supposed to be looking at Conan in those pictures, anyway. (tsk):baiting:

Todd, congratulations on assembling such a nice set.

Thanks for sending me off in style guys!

Here's my contribution. This recent pickup is a REH item not many people are aware of. "Sam Walser" was the pseudonym Howard used when he wrote naughty stories for the Spicies. His spicy stories all featured "Wild" Bill Clanton, a south seas smuggler and ne'er-do-well who of course always ends up with the lady.

SpicyAdventure1936-08.jpg

I'm not convinced that Brundage's particular style was well-suited for the Barbarian, but to be honest I enjoy *anything* she did.

Thanks Steve! I'm getting close to completing all the Conan issues now.

I love the Brundage covers. Nowadays it seems every new Conan image is trying to channel Frazetta or Buscema, so it's refreshing in a way to look back at Brundage's original interpretations.

You're not supposed to be looking at Conan in those pictures, anyway. (tsk):baiting:

Todd, congratulations on assembling such a nice set.

And thanks, Roger, for your help with it! (thumbs u