• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

Thanks for the photos and videos, Jeff. :applause:

At this late date are there any new stories ever surfacing with new info about Howard, either from old correspondence newly discovered or personal memories of people who knew people who knew him personally?

Funny you should mention that. Some of the guys from the foundation have been going through all of Glenn Lord's papers and have found a bunch of new stuff. New letters, new poems, drafts, fragments, unknown typescripts, drawings, you name it. Lord's passing was serious blow to Howard fandom, but there will be a lot of new material coming to light. He also owned 95% of the surviving typscripts and these will be donated to the Ransom Center at UT after the foundation scans them all---15,000 pages.

His widow Lou Ann and his son have been here all weekend and one of the panels today was a very moving tribute to him and his legacy.

There were several panels during the day including a tribute to Glenn Lord and a panel on Conan's 80th birthday. The guest honor this year was Charles Hoffman, who authored one of the first serious articles of literary criticism on Howard's work back in 1974 - "Conan the Existentialist."

hd07.jpg

hd09.jpg

hd10.jpg

Last night we had the banquet, where Charles spoke and the REH Foundation annual awards were given out. I was very honored to receive the Venarium Award for best emerging scholar (sort like rookie of the year for Howard studies).

hd11.jpg

hd12.jpg

hd13.jpg

After the banquet, we had the Fist at the Ice House panel at the old ice house. It wasn't really a boxing match---we just spread that rumor to get more people to show. It's what Howard would call "Tall Lying." We talked about REH's boxing stories and read some excerpts. I don't have any pics yet, because I was on the panel, but I'll try and get some.

After that it was back to the pavillion for more drinking and swappin' lies.

Day two

Saturday is always the biggest day as far as crowds go. There's were more panels including one REH and Acadamia, with myself, Chuck Hoffman, and Mark Finn. In the early evening everyone caravan out to the Caddo Peak Ranch for a Bar-B-Q, the las official event of HDs. Though of course there was another late night at the pavilion and on last breakfast at Jean's feed barn this morning. It was a smaller more subued HDs this year without all of the drama of the movie and honestly it was more enjoyable thzt way. More time to relax and geek out with friends---and of course that what it's about.

hd19.jpg

hd15.jpg

hd16.jpg

hd14.jpg