• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

REH Days - Day 1

Arrived in Dallas around noon yesterday and drove the two and a half hours to Cross Plains through some nasty. Made it one piece though. Here are a few video clips to give you a feel for the town.

Welcome to Cross Plains!

Population: Not a whole lot.

Driving through downtown. Here you can see the public library on the right with the Conan mural on the side. That's where most of the panels will be. They also have a sweet pulp collectionj.

Here you can see first, t

he 36 West Motel where all the hardcore folks stay (the saner fans stay in Brownwood 45 minutes a way). Then almost, next door is the Howard house itself.

Traditionally the members of REHupa and the other fans that show up early on Thursday caravan from the Howard House to Brownwood for dinner at Humphrey Pete's, famous for it's steaks and fried pickles.

This is Jim Harron, Dennis McHaney (who was last year's guest of honor), and Lee Breakiron. The two ladies walking in the background are from Scotland.

hd02-1.jpg

Here we have Al Harron (also from Scotland and my fellow Cimmerian blogger), Paul Sammon (author of Conan the Phenomenon), Rob Roehm (the primary editor for the REH foundation), and Mark Finn (author of the REH biography Blood and Thunder).

hd01.jpg

Usually after dinner we vist the REH gravesite, but the weather was drizzly and we all decided to head back to the pavilion at the Howard House to drink Shiner Bocks and whisley. The he lady in the center is Lou Ann Lord, Glenn Lord's widow (for those who know who Glenn was).

hd04.jpg

Lee and I just went in together on a batch of Phantangraphs, and he had my share waiting for me! :banana:

hd03.jpg

I purchased this recently because I was intrigued by the war-themed cover:

Argosy1940_03_16_640px.jpg

The only other pulp magazine I have is this one posted by Steve:

WTJAN37.jpg

Mine does not have white pages, in fact I think it’s slightly brittle but I had to have an original Weird Tales with a Brundage illustration (I have read most of the Weird Tales stories in italian, translated by the excellent Gianni Pilo in a collection of books).

REH Days - Day 2

Today is the official start of Howard Days. After a wonderfully greasy breakfast at Jean Feed Barn, there was a bus tour of Cross Plains by Rusty Burke, considered the preeminent Howard Scholar. This year the police made us use a real bus instead a flatbed trailer with folding chairs on it, pulled by a pick-up.

hd05.jpg

I've done the tour twice before so I skipped it and went straight to the house:

hd06.jpg

Thanks for the photos and videos, Jeff. :applause:

At this late date are there any new stories ever surfacing with new info about Howard, either from old correspondence newly discovered or personal memories of people who knew people who knew him personally?