• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

I'm not familiar with that index.

Do you know who compiled it?

I found it with some searching. It's the Fanzine Index by Bob Plavat and Bill Evans. Apparently it came out in the 1950's in a series of 5 loose leaf sections, then reprinted in 1965 in book form.

I'm a big DAW fan, and have just added one to my Wollheim stack. here, under the Grinnell pseudo, he is both author and editor (the Ace 'D' doubles were the backbone of atomic age PB SF). 1960 with Ed Valigursky cover art

img275.jpg

Zowie!!

That book is in fabulous shape. :applause:

Thanks BZ. :)

It's essentially flawless. I've been holding out for a long time for a true F/F copy. Spine fading is usually a real problem with this book, but this one looks like it's never seen the light of day. Great paper too, which is unusual for a Gnome.

Very cool Todd! Welcome to a very small club. :)

Steve, I would say they're roughly comparable. These early issues are probably a little scarcer, especially the first three issues (the issue above with part one of The Hyborian Age is Phantagraph v4 n3 but is really the third issue---the numbering was continuing from a hectographed sf club newsletter with a different name) These three larger format issues seem to have had a lower paper quality than the later ones and are always brittle are therefore extremely scarce. I'm fairly well tapped in to the REH collecting community and I know of the existence of only 6 copies (with a likely 7th) of the above Phantagraph v4n3 with part one of "The Hyborian Age" (Including the one that Todd just got. Given that nothing seems to be as rare as we used to think I would guess that there are between 10-20 copies that survive. Bowling Green probably has a copy in their collection though I don't know that for sure. Presumably the original print run would have been around 50 copies like Fantasy Fan since the audience was the same. If Xaltotun chimes in he may have a better idea of the scarcity. The later issues, especially the 1940's ones are more common (though still scarce relatively speaking. Of course the early issues of Fantasy Fan are are also much scarcer than the later ones.

Yeah, I think that is about right. I have always heard The Fantasy Fan had a print run of about 60 copies, but don't know where the figure comes from. They are scarce, sure, but much more common (if I may say so) than The Phantagraphs. There are *always* a number of issues of Fantasy Fan floating around (on ABE, for instance), but Phantagraphs are really scarce when you are after the early issues. The REH issues are tough as hell of course, though the two (three? I don't remember) copies of the 2nd and 3rd installments of "The Hyborian Age" that surfaced from this guy's collection drove the prices a bit down.

The early issues (and hence that Feb 1936) *never* come up for sale. Ridiculously low print run, paper cover, overhang, cheap paper...

My copy is abt. perfect, btw, Theagenes, ie no brittleness at all. Still, not the kind of item I like pawing too much...

Phantagraph-1936-02.jpg

Edited by Xaltotun

This one is lower grade, but it's one of the tougher REH pulps. This is an El Borak story. "El Borak" ("The Swift" in Arabic) was the nickname of Francis Xavier Gordon, one of Howard's earliest creations. He's a Texan adventure gone native in Central Asia during the height of the Great Game. Imagine Lawrence of Arabia as western gunslinger and that's El Borak. Some of Howards best adventure stories, imo.

TopNotch1934-06fc.jpg

And here is its little brother, the June 1935 ish, illustrating what is far and away my favorite El Borak story. "Hawk of the Hills", a kind of modern era, non Fantasy, take on "Beyond the Black River" (Conan).

Top-Notch-1935-06.jpg

This one is lower grade, but it's one of the tougher REH pulps. This is an El Borak story. "El Borak" ("The Swift" in Arabic) was the nickname of Francis Xavier Gordon, one of Howard's earliest creations. He's a Texan adventure gone native in Central Asia during the height of the Great Game. Imagine Lawrence of Arabia as western gunslinger and that's El Borak. Some of Howards best adventure stories, imo.

TopNotch1934-06fc.jpg

And here is its little brother, the June 1935 ish, illustrating what is far and away my favorite El Borak story. "Hawk of the Hills", a kind of modern era, non Fantasy, take on "Beyond the Black River" (Conan).

Top-Notch-1935-06.jpg

What a sweet copy! :applause

Speaking of The Phantagraph, Donald Grant published a small limited edition 'best of Phantagraph' collection in 1967, edited by Wollhiem. limited to 420 signed and numbered copies it reprinted material by REH, HPL, CAS, Kuttner, Bolch, Merritt, etc. This is number 236 of 420.

OperationPhantasy.jpg

And here's something fun. I picked up a bound volume of 1916-17 issues of Illustrated World. Although bound like a pulp, it was technically a "slick" and was sort of a precursor to Popular Science. Check out his early robot cover from Dec 1916.

Could this be the new secret weapon that finally breaks the stalemate on the Western Front?

IllustratedWorld1916-12fc.jpg

IllustratedWorld1916-12int.jpg