• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,257 posts in this topic

[font:Arial Black]Hello,

Just got in my Blue Coal Sign from 1938 and when I saw it, I was absolutely amazed by the graphics and colors on it.

The sign was found in an old barn in Northern Pennsylvania. Since this sign was stored for 75 years in an old barn, I had "Poster Mountain" do some restoration on it, as they were recommended to me as one of the top restoration companies in the world for posters and signs (usually work on high-end movie posters).

I have 14 original Shadow advertising signs/posters from the 1930's and early 40's, but this one stands above the rest.

The sign is very large, about the size of a pulp painting (22" x 28") on thin cardboard. I placed it beside a regular advertising sign (10.5 x 14.5), and it dwarfs it. The colors and graphics are absolutely stunning with the classic image of "The Shadow" with his guns drawn, portrayed on it.

It is the only known example in existence![/font]

Shadow1z.jpgShadow2z.jpg

[font:Arial Black][/font]

Shadow3doublez.jpg

Shadow5triplecomparisonz.jpg

roomb4usezz.jpg

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF

Just got in my Blue Coal Sign from 1938 and when I saw it, I was absolutely amazed by the graphics and colors on it.

The sign was found in an old barn in Northern Pennsylvania. Since this sign was stored for 75 years in an old barn, I had "Poster Mountain" do some restoration on it, as they were recommended to me as one of the top restoration companies in the world for posters and signs (usually work on high-end movie posters).

I have 14 original Shadow advertising signs/posters from the 1930's and early 40's, but this one stands above the rest.

The sign is very large, about the size of a pulp painting (22" x 28") on thin cardboard. I placed it beside a regular advertising sign (10.5 x 14.5), and it dwarfs it. The colors and graphics are absolutely stunning with the classic image of "The Shadow" with his guns drawn, portrayed on it.

Shadow1z.jpgShadow2z.jpg

Shadow3doublez.jpg

roomb4usezz.jpg

Dwight

Outstanding! (worship)

Shadow1z.jpgShadow2z.jpg

Shadow3doublez.jpg

roomb4usezz.jpg

Dwight

:applause: [font:Times New Roman]Stunning, Dwight!

You have the kewlist collection of Shadow original art & memorabilia around.[/font] (worship)

[font:Arial Black]Thanks for all the previous compIiments.

I took pictures of all of my original Shadow Advertising Signs/Posters from the 1930's and 40's, that I have in my collection. I took pics of them and put them into a collage. The hunt for these represents 10 years of research and literally thousands of hours phone calls & networking.

I acquired these signs from private collections, auctions, original owners, and old company buildings.

DwightFuhroOriginalShadowSignsampPostersCollage1930samp40sjpeg.jpg

Top Row (L to R):

#1 - Shadow Blue Coal Silkscreen Sign (18" x 24") - Circa. 1937-38 - Only known example!

#2 - Shadow Blue Coal Silkscreen Sign #2 (18" x 24") - Circa. 1937-38 - Only known example!

#3 - Street & Smith (S & S) cardboard window sign..circa. 1934 (11 x 14) - Rare!

#4 - Street & Smith cardboard window sign (circa. 1933) - Rare!

#5 - Another version of sign #4 (from Walter Gibson's personal S. & S.

Shadow Salesman Book).

Middle Row (L to R)

#1 - "Weird Avenger of Criime" (S & S) 11" x 14" cardboard sign ..circa. 1933

(from Walter Gibson's personal S. & S. Shadow Salesman Book); - 3 Known

#2 - "Goodrich/Silvertown Tires - 11" x 14" cardboard sign (S & S)...circa. 1939

(from Walter Gibson's personal S. & S. Shadow Salesman Book);

- only known example!

#3 - 1941 Blue Coal Shadow cardboard sign (11" x 17") - only known example!

#4 & #5 - "Shadow cardboard Trolley Signs" (2 Sided & High Gloss) - 28" x 5.5"

- circa. 1940-41 - Only known examples!

#6 - (S & S) "Shadow's Justice" large folding paper sign - 22" x 28" - Only 2 known!

(from Walter Gibson's personal S. & S. Shadow Salesman Book).

Bottom Row (L to R)

#1 - "1932 - Shadow Street & Smith (S & S) Cardboard Sign (earliest known

Shadow sign) - Large (24" x 36") - Only known example in decent

condition! (2 others in poor condition).

#2 - Shadow "On the Air" (Blue Coal) cardboard sign -11" x 14"-(Circa. 1934) Rare!

#3a (top) - 1932-33 Shadow Blue Coal Trolley Sign - Large (18" x 34")

- 2 known!

#3b (bottom) - 1934-35 Shadow Blue Coal Trolley Sign - Large (18" x 34")

- Only known example!

#4 - Shadow Blue Coal Cardboard Sign - Large 22" x 28" - Stunning!

(Poster Mountain Restoration) - Found in an old barn in a remote area of

Northern PA! Only Known Example!!

Dwight

[/font]

Edited by detective35DF

Dwight, your posters and advertising examples are just amazing. I can only imagine how hard it was to gather your collection. The rarity of these items must be off the charts compared to the pulps themselves.

[font:Arial Black]Yes,

The rarity of them would be in comparision to original Shadow pulp paintings.

With the paintings, they are certainly one of a kind, while with the posters/signs, there were more than one of the them produced, but some of the signs were done by localized areas, so there is a chance there might have been only one produced at the time.

Dwight[/font]

Okay, it's time for a cheap plug. This was just released this week. The first chapter in this collection is my article on Howard's use of history, anthropology, and geology in creating the Hyborian Age.

978-0-7864-6152-3.jpg

Conan Meets the Academy

Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian

Edited by Jonas Prida

Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-6152-3

Ebook ISBN: 978-0-7864-8989-3

4 maps, 2 photos, tables, notes, bibliography, index

224pp. softcover (6 x 9) 2013

About the Book

In 1932, Robert E. Howard penned a series of fantasy stories featuring Conan, a hulking Cimmerian warrior who roamed the mythical Hyborian Age landscape engaging in heroic adventures. More than the quirky manifestation of Depression-era magazines, Conan the Barbarian has endured as a cultural mainstay for over 70 years. This multidisciplinary collection offers the first scholarly investigation of Conan, from Howard’s early stories, through mid-century novels and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s iconic films, to the 2011 cinematic remake of Conan the Barbarian. Drawing on disciplines such as stylometry, archeology, cultural studies, folklore studies, and literary history, the essays examine statistical analyses of Conan texts, the literary genesis of Conan, later-day parodies, Conan video games, and much more. By displaying the wide range of academic interest in Conan, this volume reveals the hidden scholarly depth of this seemingly unsophisticated fictional character.

About the Author

Jonas Prida is an assistant professor of English and head of the English Department at the College of St. Joseph, in Rutland, Vermont.

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6152-3

http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Meets-Academy-Multidisciplinary-Barbarian/dp/0786461527

This looks like some great reading. I'm gonna hunt it down!

[font:Arial Black]Yes,

The rarity of them would be in comparision to original Shadow pulp paintings.

With the paintings, they are certainly one of a kind, while with the posters/signs, there were more than one of the them produced, but some of the signs were done by localized areas, so there is a chance there might have been only one produced at the time.

Dwight[/font]

And in some cases I would think they are tougher than the paintings due to preservation. Paintings would at least have been kept even if they're locked up in collections. Advertising materials would likely have been tossed in most cases I would think.

For this past year I've been thinking about taking the plunge and start buying some pulps... Now that the new year is coming I'm going to try my luck with this new collecting focus, the thing is I'm all over the place when it comes to buying them, besides ebay are there any good forums to find some of these? Where should I start? Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

For this past year I've been thinking about taking the plunge and start buying some pulps... Now that the new year is coming I'm going to try my luck with this new collecting focus, the thing is I'm all over the place when it comes to buying them, besides ebay are there any good forums to find some of these? Where should I start? Do you guys have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

I hear that pulps come up for sale quite often in a place called the CGC Marketplace. :grin:

Thanks in advance!

For starters check out ebay Books- Magazine Back issues for lots of great selections, search for pulps to narrow it down(but it will also eliminate some options). As with any collectible buy what you like! Some collect for the content, me, I'm a cover guy.

Make sure you look into these two books:

Bookery's Guide to Pulps & Related Magazinesir?t=mysla-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000J1A05U This is a great reference guide for general pricing and info, put out by a boardie!

Adventure House Guide to the Pulpsir?t=mysla-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1886937451 Nice guide for checklist of titles, no pricing info if I recall correctly, I haven't looked at mine for awhile

I picked up this recently(non-ebay purchase), I was drawn to the back cover art as well:

14025.jpg

14025bc.jpg

Thanks in advance!

For starters check out ebay Books- Magazine Back issues for lots of great selections, search for pulps to narrow it down(but it will also eliminate some options). As with any collectible buy what you like! Some collect for the content, me, I'm a cover guy.

Make sure you look into these two books:

Bookery's Guide to Pulps & Related Magazinesir?t=mysla-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B000J1A05U This is a great reference guide for general pricing and info, put out by a boardie!

Adventure House Guide to the Pulpsir?t=mysla-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1886937451 Nice guide for checklist of titles, no pricing info if I recall correctly, I haven't looked at mine for awhile

I picked up this recently(non-ebay purchase), I was drawn to the back cover art as well:

14025.jpg

14025bc.jpg

Nice South Seas!

radjack, just to add to what Andrew said, there are actual two ebay sections for pulps:

Books>Magazine Back Issues>Pulps

Collectibles>Comics>Magazines>Pulps

Heritage will often have some good stuff, but they tend to sell for much more than ebay.

If you're interesting in Robert E. Howard pulps I have a collecting guide on my blog:

http://www.anageundreamedof.com/2012/12/collecting-robert-e-howard-pulps-part-1.html

For Weird Tales in general, check out RedFury's thread here in GA as he's providing quite a bit of content info with each issue he's posting.