• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

I was looking at Coming Attractions and noticed this, of interest to some here I'd wager -

"GABRIEL HUNT - Coming May 2009!

Charles Ardai, Edgar Award-winning author and creator of the acclaimed pulp mystery series Hard Case Crime, announced a new series of pulp novels scheduled to debut in the summer of 2009: The Adventures of Gabriel Hunt. Featuring painted covers in the grand pulp tradition by artist Glen Orbik, the series will chronicle the travels and travails of modern-day explorer Gabriel Hunt, who scours the globe in pursuit of precious artifacts, lost civilizations, and secrets that could save the world...or destroy it.

"These books are for anyone who grew up reading H. Rider Haggard and Edgar Rice Burroughs or watching Harrison Ford wield his bullwhip at the movies," said Ardai. "We're talking classic adventure fiction, complete with horses, snakes, shovels, pickaxes, torches, traps, bottomless pits, barroom brawls, jungles, jewels, and just about everything else that's ever made your heart beat faster."

Authorship of each book will be credited to Gabriel Hunt himself, with the hands behind the Hunt nom-de-plume scheduled to include some of Hard Case Crime's most popular authors. James Reasoner is the author of one of the upcoming Gabriel Hunt novels. The first title is due to hit bookstores in May 2009, with subsequent titles following every other month.

WebImage-1.jpg

Gabriel Hunt's initial adventures are expected to take him to Borneo, Guatemala, Turkey, Egypt, Antarctica, and the Kalahari Desert.

Update: Covers for six of the upcoming novels have now been posted on the Hunt for Adventure website. Check them out! Story titles are AT THE WELL OF ETERNITY, THROUGH THE CRADLE OF FEAR, AT WORLD'S END, BEYOND THE FROZEN FIRE, AMONG THE KILLERS OF MEN, and THROUGH NAPOLEON'S WEB!

http://www.huntforadventure.com/ "

We ran a short thread about the Hard Case Crime books in General last week.

Love the pulp art - but the stone archway motif looks incredibly cheesy - giving the books a "juvenile fiction" look - let's hope it's not on the actual paperbacks.

I agree 100%. I had the same reaction. Let the art scream through. I guess I'd best send them an email to suggest they do that.

Gabriel Hunt already sent me an email when I subscribe to his mailing list :)

Here's another Pulp Stand pic. The interesting aspect of this one is that the pic was taken in Paris!! The stand was located in an area of the city where a lot of foreigners stayed and therefore was catering to that crowd. After all, even when you're visiting Paris, how could you do without Amazing Stories or Black Mask :)

dom00010.jpg

I don't have but 5 different pulps and only two scanned.

Here they are!

PlanetStories28.jpg

PlanetStories25.jpg

Wow! These pulps have such fabulous covers. I only have a few, but I will get a move on and post them finally.... Wondering if anyone has a pic of the 1st Marvel Pulp? I never saw what it looks like.

I don't have but 5 different pulps and only two scanned.

Here they are!

PlanetStories28.jpg

PlanetStories25.jpg

Wow! These pulps have such fabulous covers. I only have a few, but I will get a move on and post them finally.... Wondering if anyone has a pic of the 1st Marvel Pulp? I never saw what it looks like.

I think the Marvel pulp has been posted several times by several people. Here is my copy.

bb

2884830337_02c5143d09_b.jpg

I also like to pick up magazine covers with playing cards on them. There were three "must have" magazines on my list. Today, I got the last of the three and am very happy with the conditions and colors.

z-All-Aces-v1-ni.jpg

My other two favorites:

This Bethlehem copy of Star Western

th_z-Star-Western-December-1943.jpg

A nice non-pulp, oversize Screen Guide from 1939

th_z-ScreenGuideNov1939-1.jpg

Hey fellow pulp collectors! I finally broke down and bought a new scanner this weekend and hope to share some of my pulps with you. I only collect Edgar Rice Burroughs Plups so that is what I will be posting.

This is the only one I have scanned so far.........

Blue Book Oct. 35

BlueBook10-35Cover.jpg

I am guessing Dwight (detective35DF) is actively building up a war chest with the auction coming to Windy City Con # 9. The auction of Frank Hamilton's estate will feature not only a complete Shadow run, the early Doc Savage run with Baumhofer's covers but also Baunhofer's last unpublished painting of Doc Savage.

last_doc_baumhofer.jpg

For more info on the auction and the con, please check out THIS LINK,