• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2020 at 1:03 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

The topic of Spicy pulps came up on a sales thread so figured I would spice it up a little here for my buddy @Comical Situations with a few of mine  

5AF734B0-0C64-4BFF-8C44-B4D10A3F1586.jpeg

Little late seeing this I guess.....I see what you mean Rick.  Very nice indeed!

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

This is a very rare pulp I got at Pulpfest last year, but I don't think I posted it.

Wild Game Stories, Vol 1 No 2, Jul-Aug 1926

It was published by a small publisher out of Cincinnati, OH.  

uWR4SPch.jpg

Wow, no kidding. Never seen an issue. This is what is so cool about pulps. So many discoveries yet to be found!

55 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

A pulp grading question, let’s say you have an otherwise high grade pulp but it has major compressed overhang that has repeated tears and rips...how do you grade a book like this?

E71782FC-F77D-40C4-85E7-2366679C9CBB.jpeg

00C91946-323A-4810-9C0F-216AF81EB7F9.jpeg

I'm going out on a limb here because i'm new at this so this will be good for my edumacation.  I'd say Fine -/Fine? It looks very fresh and bright and would probably be Fine/VF if not for the torn up overhang. Unless the overhangs are going to be treated like bindery chips. It's way better than a vg but I don't think you can call it Fine or better. If CGC does start to grade these, they're going to have to take a stand.

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

A pulp grading question, let’s say you have an otherwise high grade pulp but it has major compressed overhang that has repeated tears and rips...how do you grade a book like this?

I feel like wear on the overhang is almost unavoidable.  Therefore I don't take it into account as much as otherwise, so long as it doesn't extend inside beyond the page margins.  At least to a point.  I don't think I would go to the truly high grades.  But I'm far from an expert.  

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Quite of bit of damage to the overhang, but you're right, it's an otherwise lovely book.  I'd probably be in the VG/F range.

Thanks for the sage opinions, guys. :foryou:

I tend to agree with buttock that the overhang damage is inevitable (unless the book is trimmed), so I don’t detract much. The overall frontal presentation is key (which means I’m not overly concerned with a faded spine, either).

Just like with comics, we all have our own pet peeves - I’d buy pulps like this one all day long! :cloud9:

8 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Thanks for the sage opinions, guys. :foryou:

I tend to agree with buttock that the overhang damage is inevitable (unless the book is trimmed), so I don’t detract much. The overall frontal presentation is key (which means I’m not overly concerned with a faded spine, either).

Just like with comics, we all have our own pet peeves - I’d buy pulps like this one all day long! :cloud9:

100% I'd be so happy to have such a bright, flat copy in my box. CGC might actually consider overhang like marvel chipping the more I think about it.