• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,119 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, sacentaur said:

This is a big one, for me at least. According to Bookery, this classic cover (look closely) book is tied for the most valuable in the entire run. Untrimmed, with ow-w pages.

Contains the noted story The Mole Men Want Your Eyes by Frederick C. Davis.

This horror pulp has it all! :cloud9:

7224B66E-3B40-41CC-A63D-4B66504777D4.jpeg

I love that book.

Made me look at red Kool Aid in a whole new light...

1D36DDDE-48E9-4832-B0B7-C0B7937A618E.jpeg.dc98e9bff26e5cb1bba3883073949d30.jpeg

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Amazing that a book like that was in a box instead of the wall. But, there were some pretty amazing books in those boxes...

It is a great book, but there are a umber of collectors that are not interested in Terror Tales, Horror Stories, and The Spider unless they are Howitt covers. 
Maybe that is why he had it in the boxes.  I would have had it on the wall.

Edited by detective35DF

3 minutes ago, detective35 said:

It is a great book, but there are a umber of collectors that are not interested in Terror Tales, Horror Stories, and The Spider unless they are Howitt covers. 
Maybe that is why he had it in the boxes.  I would have had it on the wall.

If it were mine, it would have been home safely tucked away. I missed that one but scored a nice copy of this one. Also very high on my horror list. There are so many. And many I know I’ve never even seen.

BFA6E417-A4BD-43D3-903E-D5B5057E6521.jpeg

On 3/9/2020 at 9:31 PM, detective35 said:

A fun little book I just picked up, not a big deal, but a cover I’ve always liked.  
I’ve had it before in high grade, but once again got rid of it, so I decided to pick another one up.

856FB9B9-993C-40F7-B6A8-1EB557166209.jpeg

There are a few Adventures on my list.  What is the year and month of this one?

Thought this was worth showing here as an Arkham House- adjacent book.  It wasn't actually published by Arkham House, they licensed the Mycroft & Moran imprint for this and a couple other books.  I only wish that attention to detail had extended to the trim size and cover design, so it would fit better next to the other Solar Pons volumes. 

Solar_Pons_09.jpg

1 hour ago, RedFury said:

The Oct 1 one is harder to find in my experience, probably because it has a L. Ron Hubbard story in it.

Is Hubbard really actively collected? Personally I have zero interest in anything he did.

Just now, sacentaur said:

Is Hubbard really actively collected? Personally I have zero interest in anything he did.

Yes.  I've never read anything by him, but I've heard he's pretty good.  And there is definitely demand for his pulps, but I'm not sure how much is due to the merits of his writing or his notoriety as a cult leader.

24 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Steve,

There are plenty of Hubbard collectors and if they really want something they will pay insane prices for the items.

21 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Yes.  I've never read anything by him, but I've heard he's pretty good.  And there is definitely demand for his pulps, but I'm not sure how much is due to the merits of his writing or his notoriety as a cult leader.

Hubbard was a decent hack as a pulp writer.  Nothing spectacular, but decently readable, even now.  But a lot of the demand is from his followers, as near as I can tell, rather than regular pulp collectors. The issue of ASTOUNDING that introduced Dianetics is listed in the new Bookery guide as the most expensive digest issue of the title by far, more than double any of the other digests.  Was very happy when I found a cheap reader copy of that one, because I sure as heck didn't want to pay for or care about the main article.  But somewhere on my goal list is a complete run of the Campbell Astoundings, so I definitely wanted to plug that hole.

37 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Me too but when ever I find his pulps cheap “out in the wild” I grab them. They all sell well. I’ve gotton some stupid money on the bay by putting his name in the title. I may not care much about him one way or another, but I do like money!

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

this one IS spectacular - a fun little fantasy masterpiece...

img5050.JPG

I love that cover! Been looking for the right condition/price ratio for a while but haven't found it yet. I may have to Mannup to get a nice one. He was a pretty good and well  followed  pulp writer before Dianetics. That had a lot to do with why he got followed when he got his religion on.