• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

Al Feldstein's cover art to WEIRD FANTASY # 14:

kc1j6g.jpg

My favourite Al Feldstein WEIRD FANTASY cover! First time I saw the cover to this comic-book was at a Liverpool (UK) comic mart back in the late 1970s. At the time, I was a newcomer to EC (which I'd recently discovered, then, via the East Coast Comix reprint series).

Anyway, back to the story of the Liverpool comic mart . . . as I was walking around the venue (the Blucoat Chambers), I noticed one of the atendees trying to sell a bunch of 1950s EC comics to a dealer. The dealer was trying to sound unimpressed/disenterested (in an effort to low-ball on the kind of prices he was willing to pay). I quietly stepped in and politely asked the guy with the ECs if he would consider selling his comics to me. Much to the displeasure of the dealer (if looks could kill . . . ), we moved away to another part of the venue to look at the books in detail and discuss an appropriate exchange of money. All the asking prices were very reasonable and I ended up buying most of the ECs. I also arranged to purchase others the seller had at home.

Amongst the selection I bought at the comic mart was WEIRD FANTASY # 14. Although EC was new to me, I'd already formed a definite preference for the Science-Fiction titles. Al Feldstein's cover art was a big pull for me, and I absolutely loved the cover image to that WF # 14 comic-book when I fist set eyes on it back at that 1970s venue! I'd grew up watching television repeats of all the old Science-Fiction movies of the 1950s - and Al's art was a perfect reflection of those times.

The image, showing a group of astronauts effecting a repair on their rocket ship is highly reminiscent of George Pal's DESTINATION MOON (1950), which no doubt influenced Al's science-fiction artwork, together with Chesley Bonestell's famous space paintings.

A journey beset by problems as man makes fledgling steps into the great unknown . . .

Several years later, during the early 1980s, when I'd progressed my EC addiction to buying original artwork from the Russ Cochran EC art auctions, I was looking forward to the time when the cover art to WF # 14 would become available for sale.

When the artwork eventually surfaced and Russ's Auction Catalog reached my doorstep, timing was bad . . . an emergency had arisen in which I needed to buy a new motorcycle; essential transportation for getting me to and from my workplace. I had to make a practical decision and in the process missed-out on a much-loved piece of art.

Fast forward to nearly three decades later . . . the cover art re-surfaced for sale via Steve Ferzoco (who was offering it out on behalf of the then owner)! But by this time, the market for vintage EC artwork had skyrocketed in demand and value - and I couldn't quite raise the funds needed to meet the asking price.

In recent months, the cover re-appeared for sale once again - ironically, by the auctioneer who had sold it first time round . . . Russ Cochran! Surprisingly (at least to me), the cover failed to meet its reserve price. Unfortunately I wasn't quite in a postion to compete during the auction, but after I discovered that the artwork didn't sell I e-mailed Russ to ask if we could perhaps negotiate a deal on the cover (which had been on consignment from Don Lineberger, who tragically died several months after releasing this cover from his collection.). I put forward a proposal, and a little under a week later Russ got back to me with a counter-offer (that I was more than happy to agree to).

Funny things is . . . this past year I've been winding-down my collecting habits and selling off chunks of my collection to finance future plans that will have a lasting benefit for all of my family. Just when I think I'm over the addiction, something really special comes along and I know I have to make a concerted effort go for it (or face a future of regret). Nature of the beast, I guess . . .

Big, big thanks to Russ Cochran and Angie Meyer (Russ's right hand person) for making this wonderful acquisition possible Also special thanks to Steve Ferzoco (who first highlighted me to the cover's availability), Dan Forman (who offered some useful advice along the way) and Paul Stephenson (who pitched-in on organizing an overseas payment). Thank you guys . . . this is a cover from a long time ago, that I've long-admired. Although I've had to shed a number of prized possessions this past year, I somehow think that this particular piece of art is destined to remain with me.

A really special addition to our collection here at the end of the year. My wife and I were married on December 18th in Ohio and I had commissioned Charles Paul Wilson III earlier in the year for a wedding present for my lovely bride! We both love his work, and I'm lucky to own a few covers and interiors... we also love the book, DANDELION WINE by Ray Bradbury. Sooooo, back in 1991 I performed in the premiere stage production of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES in California and Mr. Bradbury attended the show and after party... it was a laid back BBQ with a fire circle and he was cool enough to kick back a few cold ones and tell amazing stories to the cast and crew. At the end of the party, I snuck up to him and asked him to sign my paperback edition of DW from 1988 - he was very cool and even drew a dandelion! Soooooo, fast forward to the last three years and my very cool wife reads from this very copy out loud to me over the course of each summer. Sappy, but beautiful stuff!

I asked Charles to re-interpret the cover of this particular copy and here is the outcome sized 11X17... (note: Charles and I searched and searched thru Bradbury chat rooms and other sources for the name of the original artist to no avail. Hence the ?) We'd both like to figure it out someday so that he or she can be credited.

DSCN0750.jpg

Dan

Finally had a chance to get my OA into some frames and onto my wall. Put together my Spectre retrospective up for now. Planning on switching up the theme every once in a while.

Digging on the 11x17 frames that are super-cheap at Michaels, just need to keep the pieces out of direct sunlight.

Also framed a blown-up copy of Mike Grell's Batman: Masque and a Green Lantern sketch by Dean Trippe on either side.

108471.jpg.816f4eaa03e887addbf5c4c0d66af4a1.jpg

108612.jpg.39e015917c5c479353739b7e9c8e15a2.jpg

Edited by BaronV

Finally framed the Complete Bone Adventures # 3 Cover today. This is the first piece I have framed and love how it turned out. Used Museum glass and archival mats so the piece should be good to go for a very long time. :D

completeboneadventuresf.jpg

[font:Arial Black] Finally got it framed!

"The Third Skull" - 1935 - Original Shadow Pulp Painting

21" x 30" Excellent Condition

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

This optical illusion of a skull that figured in the story was long remembered by those who saw it on the newsstands.

In World War II, the original was sent to a U.S. Air Force crew who wanted to use the name and image for their bomber!

ARTIST: GEORGE ROZEN [/font]

ThirdSkull3-4.jpg

DSC_1198b-1.jpg

[font:Arial Black] Trying to decide of the type of frame is tough, but I chose the same one that I used on "The Creeping Death" The frame is museum quality, about 4" wide and 4" deep of solid wood.

[font:Arial Black]Speaking of "The Creeping Death", here is the first Shadow painting I ever bought.

Date: Jan. 15, 1933

Size: 21" x 30"

Medium: Oil on Canvas

Condition: Excellent

Artist: George Rozen

**Considered one of the true ICONIC cover images, not only in The Shadow pulps, but of the entire world of pulp magazines.**[/font][/font]

CreepingDeathlow3-3.jpg

[font:Arial Black]Dwight

www.theshadow.ca (2 page Shadow website)[/font]