• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

You went with the double matt. Nice job! I think we all bought the same frames! I should have bought more in that size to have as extras while they were on sale. hm

Ya, I thought about it, but I had enough trouble just finding two that didn't have scratches or something on them. I did finally pick up a portfolio though, since I've been accumulating sketches with nowhere good to put them.

You went with the double matt. Nice job! I think we all bought the same frames! I should have bought more in that size to have as extras while they were on sale. hm

Ya, I thought about it, but I had enough trouble just finding two that didn't have scratches or something on them. I did finally pick up a portfolio though, since I've been accumulating sketches with nowhere good to put them.

Tell me about it... I hit 3 different stores and looked at probably 25 frames. I only found 4 that weren't jacked up. But for $18 (or half of that since they were on sale) I don't mind.

I had a general framing question. Say you have a piece worth several thousand that you wanted to custom frame. Do you simply take it to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and hand it over? Is there any concern for damage/theft while its out of your hands? I've never had anything framed before so I was just wondering how it works...

I had a general framing question. Say you have a piece worth several thousand that you wanted to custom frame. Do you simply take it to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and hand it over? Is there any concern for damage/theft while its out of your hands? I've never had anything framed before so I was just wondering how it works...

Fair question. When I recently had two acrylic pieces framed and matted, I went to a local frame shop that had a good reputation and had been recommended by a pair of local artists. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in my town but we do have a Michael's and Michaels has a 50% off framing sale every couple of weeks or so. But I couldn't find anyone that had used Michaels -- or, at least, anyone that would admit to using their framing service -- so I paid more for the recommended guys.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't necessary. If a framing shop lost or damaged your artwork, or trimmed it without your permission, they'd be liable for their actions.

Fair question. When I recently had two acrylic pieces framed and matted, I went to a local frame shop that had a good reputation and had been recommended by a pair of local artists. We don't have a Hobby Lobby in my town but we do have a Michael's and Michaels has a 50% off framing sale every couple of weeks or so. But I couldn't find anyone that had used Michaels -- or, at least, anyone that would admit to using their framing service -- so I paid more for the recommended guys.

In hindsight, it probably wasn't necessary. If a framing shop lost or damaged your artwork, or trimmed it without your permission, they'd be liable for their actions.

Well thats the thing. For one thing, if it was trimmed you might not know since its sitting in that custom frame you paid good money for and probably aren't going to take out of, at least for a while generally. I would be concerned with just the general handling of the high dollar piece. I mean, you don't go in announcing its worth, but I would still be concerned just dropping it off, crossing my fingers, and hoping for the best.

Well thats the thing. For one thing, if it was trimmed you might not know since its sitting in that custom frame you paid good money for and probably aren't going to take out of, at least for a while generally. I would be concerned with just the general handling of the high dollar piece. I mean, you don't go in announcing its worth, but I would still be concerned just dropping it off, crossing my fingers, and hoping for the best.

When I had my pieces framed, we asked for the manager and asked her about their insurance coverage. It's probably enough to raise the question, and see what their answer is. The place I went to had coverage in excess of six figures, so it wasn't an issue. I'd be wary of going to too casual a place.

I have taken some stuff to Michaels. I took in a lesser piece to test it out and I talked to the framer personally. I got to know her pretty well and know I feel confident she takes great care of my higher end stuff. It never hurts to talk to people. I am nice to waitresses and waiters too for the same reason. I want them handling my food like it was theirs! :o

Just got this beauty back from the frame shop today. Tried something new with the fillets and it turned out great. It's on a museum easel also, which I strongly recommend. You can get a decent one for $60 and it's super cool to display the art that way. Plus you can easily rotate pieces.

Captain America Cover!

Just got this beauty back from the frame shop today. Tried something new with the fillets and it turned out great. It's on a museum easel also, which I strongly recommend. You can get a decent one for $60 and it's super cool to display the art that way. Plus you can easily rotate pieces.

Captain America Cover!

MItch does such great work!

51964-cap.jpg.4ae9de7dd1b3b10740a8ee6a1dc3cf76.jpg

Just doing my best to revive this post!

Check this one out too. My favorite. The frame has a hint of red in it to complement the mat that surrounds the original art. There is grey surrounding the published piece. I kinda like the look. The different triple mats around each piece really brings out the details.

http://cafurl.com?i=7967

52970-100_1829.JPG.ee66927894cbe3fa4cd83fdf4f7f78c9.JPG