• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so few World's Finest collectors?
2 2

186 posts in this topic

As a Batman collector, I just feel that his teaming up with Superman is silly. I really like the pre-teamup issues of World's Finest and they are hard to get. I don't mind the first 30 or so team-up issues because they are from a period of DC that I really like. But I find issues 101-197 kind of painful.

If I were a Superman or Batman collector, buying the issues that "dilute" the character would certainly be on the back burner and only after the main titles are done. I think that's the practice among most collectors.

The comparison with Spectacular Spider-Man isn't quite apt because the main titles, Batman and Superman, are packed with stories of the main character. But the alternates like Detective and Action and WF are mostly backups. Spec. was better than Amazing some months and had the same number of Spider-Manpages.

If I were a Superman or Batman collector, buying the issues that "dilute" the character would certainly be on the back burner and only after the main titles are done. I think that's the practice among most collectors.

And the Superman and Batman runs are so long and tough you never get done - which is why World's Finest only rarely makes it to the front burner.

:(

Spec. was better than Amazing some months and had the same number of Spider-Manpages.

---------------------------------------------

Then how come most of the run doesn't come close to selling for what the corresponding ASM issue do?

Sal Buscema for part of it comes to mind.... though that doesn't explain the wide divergence for the late 70's stuff.

I guess ASM being ongoing and the first makes a difference, though PPSM had this problem 10 years ago too.

OTOH, some Brave & Bolds do quite nicely, even when it was just a Batman team-up book.

Some great art in the 70's helped and some first apps (and first SA apps) in the SA helped too.

As a Batman collector, I just feel that his teaming up with Superman is silly. I really like the pre-teamup issues of World's Finest and they are hard to get. I don't mind the first 30 or so team-up issues because they are from a period of DC that I really like. But I find issues 101-197 kind of painful.

The comparison with Spectacular Spider-Man isn't quite apt because the main titles, Batman and Superman, are packed with stories of the main character. But the alternates like Detective and Action and WF are mostly backups. Spec. was better than Amazing some months and had the same number of Spider-Manpages.

Kind of a funny comment considering how brutally silly the late 50's early 60's Batmans were....all that alien stuff!

No, I am not saying Superman was any better :shy:

Kind of a funny comment considering how brutally silly the late 50's early 60's Batmans were....all that alien stuff!

No, I am not saying Superman was any better :shy:

Good point. I would say the Batman difference wouldn't be on target until the late 60's.

I had that thought about the Batman/alien thing before I posted but I think the core character remains, even if the stories go off on a tangent, if that makes any sense. Also, an awful lot of those aliens were hoaxes--just a criminal ruse. Silly, but still a crime story. Plus the Joker kept no appearing as did other crime stories.

Put it this way, most of the first Batman comics I ever read were in Batman from the 30s to the 70s. It has the basically excellent WF story vs. Luthor/Joker with the robots. But that's still my least-favorite story in the book and always has been.

House of Comics:

Put it this way, most of the first Batman comics I ever read were in Batman from the 30s to the 70s. It has the basically excellent WF story vs. Luthor/Joker with the robots. But that's still my least-favorite story in the book and always has been.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I got the BATMAN:FROM THE 30'S TO THE 70'S book for Christmas when I was in third grade. And I received the Jules Feiffer GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES as a first Communion gift. Best presents I ever got! :cloud9:

Three questions for all you World's Finest aficionados:

1. Did Supergirl ever make an appearance?

2. Did Krypto ever meet Ace the Bat-Hound?

3. Did Batwoman ever succeed in luring Superman instead of Batman into her boudoir? She was always pretty determined when she set her sights on a superhero:

52555-SuperBatwomanOne450.jpg.244cce5b422920df662c3a264f1a16a2.jpg

52556-SuperBatwomanTwo380.jpg.d65ef1af2926fe6da026f3ec63aa140b.jpg

Edited by Hepcat