• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are there so few World's Finest collectors?
2 2

186 posts in this topic

But to a hard core collector "keys" are just a nuisance. He wants all the issues to complete his collection and the keys just make it more difficult to achieve his objective since they're more expensive.

:(

The revival of this thread made me start looking at the beginning, and I just had to pull this one back up. YES! It is so annoying to look over my wantlist and see a big bump just because some weird green computer first showed up in that issue.

My latest World's Finest:

WF94_001_zps59197f83.jpg

worldsfinest96001_zpse85b9a95.jpg

wf117_001_zpsa2e5f08a.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that Batwoman made regular cover appearances in World's Finest while I don't think Supergirl ever did?

???

This is the only Supergirl cover appearance (besides one where she is just a head on a balloon along with others) I could find in my books:

wf169_001_zps1182faef.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that Batwoman made regular cover appearances in World's Finest while I don't think Supergirl ever did?

Not really--Batwoman only appeared on three covers, I believe. Not too regular and I think if you consider Batwoman more of a Lois Lane type in the Batman universe (ie, the female interest and more a part of the regular cast) you can see she appears less often than Lois on the covers.

Curt Swan drew a nice batgirl. I love that book.

You bet he did!

:luhv:

Has anyone else noticed though that DC did a lot of "women stabbing you in the back" covers during the counter-culture revolution of the late sixties? Here are a couple of Legion covers with the same concept:

22-08-2012114143PM.jpg

22-08-2012114202PM.jpg

???

Edited by Hepcat

I enjoy collecting World's Finest Comics. I thought it was a great title. I have many from the early 1950s including a beautiful CGC 5.5 of issue 71 with OW/W PQ that I bought from Gator a few years ago at Comic-Con San Diego. It's one of the major keys of the entire run and it has a great cover. I then bought the DC Millenium reprint for just a couple bucks from a great seller in the sales thread. I don't like the DC Archive Editions of this and many other titles because they don't print the back-up features and they cost way too much.

Edited by Stevenrams

This is easily my best Worlds Finest to date.

WF_91_zpsc684f3bb.jpg

Oh man! DC's dark pink covers always jump right out at you!

:cool:

Thanks Hepcat. The book falls into the category, IMHO, of awesome cover, but not a key. It may even be a bit more available than the issues around it as SteelCity noted a few pages back in this thread. There were about 4 issues listed on E-bay at the time I bought it. Metropolis currently has 6 copies of issue 91 listed, with two each for issue 90 and 92.

I enjoy collecting World's Finest Comics. I thought it was a great title. I have many from the early 1950s including a beautiful CGC 5.5 of issue 71 with OW/W PQ that I bought from Gator a few years ago at Comic-Con San Diego. It's one of the major keys of the entire run and it has a great cover. I then bought the DC Millenium reprint for just a couple bucks from a great seller in the sales thread. I don't like the DC Archive Editions of this and many other titles because they don't print the back-up features and they cost way too much.

I have to agree, I think it's a great title also. I can see how it may have been overlooked back when fresh off the newsstands, as young comic buyers may have had too many Superman titles to choose from, and could not afford to buy them all. Today it is puzzling why there are relatively few collectors of this title,as you have Batman and Superman paired together, along with some terrific covers.

I have to agree, I think it's a great title also. I can see how it may have been overlooked back when fresh off the newsstands, as young comic buyers may have had too many Superman titles to choose from, and could not afford to buy them all. Today it is puzzling why there are relatively few collectors of this title,as you have Batman and Superman paired together, along with some terrific covers.

Yep, World's Finest was one of the two books I subscribed direct from DC to back in my youth, for that very reason, two for the price of one.

Here's my latest, bought here on the boards. I've always thought it was interesting the difference between the "magical pest" that Superman and Batman had to deal with. #123, which means I only need #124 to complete my run back to #120, Sept 1961:

WorldsFinest123_zpsa2dc3104.jpg

Yep, World's Finest was one of the two books I subscribed direct from DC to back in my youth, for that very reason, two for the price of one.

Here's my latest, bought here on the boards. I've always thought it was interesting the difference between the "magical pest" that Superman and Batman had to deal with. #123, which means I only need #124 to complete my run back to #120, Sept 1961:

I will have to re-read 123 again, it has one of the odder monsters featured on a DC superhero book.

What was the other book that was offered in the two for one subscription?

I will have to re-read 123 again, it has one of the odder monsters featured on a DC superhero book.

What was the other book that was offered in the two for one subscription?

Ah, you misunderstood, but give how I wrote it I understand why - I was saying I subscribed to World's Finest because I got "two for one", Superman AND Batman, for my subscription dollar (and it might literally have been a dollar, I can't remember).

The other book I subscribed to was Superboy, because I was a big Legion fan, and once again, lots of heroes for my money.

Some more new to my collection.

Today's theme in World's Finest, giant alien creatures.

WF107_001_zps1d687627.jpg

WF112_001_zps96abc575.jpg

Nice. You must have a pretty long run in this title. Beware of issue 112, as it has a tough ending for Superman's new pet. :(

I can add this book. I purchased it from skypinkblu late last year. This alien appears to a cross between Jabba the Hut and a octopus. :o

WFX_110_zpsfefe7aa1.jpg

Nice. You must have a pretty long run in this title. Beware of issue 112, as it has a tough ending for Superman's new pet. :(

Yeah, not too bad of a run, with these recent purchases I'm missing 15 issues to having from issue 100 up (although I should point out that 14 of those issues are between 100-119, so a bit of a cheat to look at it like that :) )

I can add this book. I purchased it from skypinkblu late last year. This alien appears to a cross between Jabba the Hut and a octopus. :o

WFX_110_zpsfefe7aa1.jpg

Nice. They really like those weird space aliens, don't they?

Yeah, not too bad of a run, with these recent purchases I'm missing 15 issues to having from issue 100 up (although I should point out that 14 of those issues are between 100-119, so a bit of a cheat to look at it like that :) )

Nice. They really like those weird space aliens, don't they?

Thanks. DC really had weird aliens back in the day.

I bought this book from skypinkblu recently. (thumbs u I must admit I enjoy these early Silver Age Worlds Finest Books, especially when they feature Batwoman. Seems to me like Batwoman was much too scarce in the Silver Age.

WFX_90_zpsd651870b.jpg