• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

I'm not quite sure how I earned the distinctive honor, but CGC just annointed me as the recipient of the World's Most Perfect Looking CGC 7.5 in grading history. :acclaim:

I'm not sure how I got so lucky. I'm off to play the lottery now. :whee:

It's so good looking…its almost an 8.0….but not quite!

You wouldn't believe how stinking beautiful this book is. No visible flaws anywhere. (shrug)

Do you have pre-slabbing scans?

I believe I have a front cover scan of the raw book. I received the slab today so I'll post front and back cover scans tomorrow.

Here's the front cover scan raw (the dirt specks you see are from my scanner and not on the book):

CaptainAmericaV56NMCoverB1stWinterSoldier_zps8b198fb4.jpg

And here's the slabbed scans (front and back):

CaptainAmericaV56CGC75VariantEdition1stfullWinterSoldier_zps6b4581ef.jpg

CaptainAmericaV56CGC75VariantEdition1stfullWinterSoldierback_zps8eed26b4.jpg

If I hold the slab up to the light, I can make out 1 tiny spine bend and a small top edge bend on the front cover. Other than that, it appears to be clean. (shrug)

Just got the results from my membership coupon. I didn't have alot of higher dollar raw books to send in, so I sent some of my favorites in... :banana:

Thor #165 Universal 8.0 OFF-WHITE - 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock).

Thor #165 Universal 8.0 WHITE - 1st full appearance of Him (Warlock).

Batman #181 Universal 8.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE - 1st appearance of Poison Ivy

Hawkman #4 Universal 6.0 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE - Origin and 1st appearance of Zatanna.

I'm not quite sure how I earned the distinctive honor, but CGC just annointed me as the recipient of the World's Most Perfect Looking CGC 7.5 in grading history. :acclaim:

I'm not sure how I got so lucky. I'm off to play the lottery now. :whee:

It's so good looking…its almost an 8.0….but not quite!

You wouldn't believe how stinking beautiful this book is. No visible flaws anywhere. (shrug)

Do you have pre-slabbing scans?

I believe I have a front cover scan of the raw book. I received the slab today so I'll post front and back cover scans tomorrow.

Here's the front cover scan raw (the dirt specks you see are from my scanner and not on the book):

CaptainAmericaV56NMCoverB1stWinterSoldier_zps8b198fb4.jpg

And here's the slabbed scans (front and back):

CaptainAmericaV56CGC75VariantEdition1stfullWinterSoldier_zps6b4581ef.jpg

CaptainAmericaV56CGC75VariantEdition1stfullWinterSoldierback_zps8eed26b4.jpg

If I hold the slab up to the light, I can make out 1 tiny spine bend and a small top edge bend on the front cover. Other than that, it appears to be clean. (shrug)

Only thing I can think of is a stain some where, maybe on the interior?

I had a similar occurrence. According to the grader's notes on mine, it said my book had "whole book crunch." I still don't know what that is.

It depends on the comic. Some keys will grow in value even if they are not worth too much raw. If I see a raw key, I usually look at GPA values and see how much they are worth as a 6.0 or higher, depending on the age of the comic. If they seem to be worth it after spending the $20-$40 it takes to grade it, then I will.

Sometimes I may get a comic that is a junk issue but I want it graded just for my own collection.

I would only submit a book for slabbing if the CGC cost is proportionally far less than the value of the book. I have no idea why people are slabbing mint condition books that came out last month. "Wow, you have a 9.6 Batman New 52 #21! Yeah, there's a dozen more just like it in the back issue bin for $3 each. How much did you pay to slab that? insufficiently_thoughtful_person."

Now, if you had non-New 52 Batman #21 in any condition, #121 in middle condition, or even #221 in high grade condition, CGC submission can make sense as it helps pin down the book's value, and makes it a more "liquid" asset if you want to sell it on eBay or a similar service.

Is there a general rule of thumb you guys use for CGCing your comics? Is it only worth while to get them graded if they are worth something like more than $100? Or do you find people are GCGing lesser values just for the novelty?

you can either CGC your book based on a fair market value or skip the value and base it off of the scarcity of the book

but rare does not translate to high dollar value

the most CGCed book ASM300 (over 7,000) is high value but not rare

Never made sense to me why people CGC new books but each to their own :)

Ok so subed 10 books back at New York Comic Book Marketplace, just picked them up from Fedex last night. Only was able to scan 5 of the books but they are the good 5 lol The ones I havent scanned yet but will (and will update this post) are Sandman 8 CGC 9.6 White, Sandman 19 CGC 9.4 White (Error), Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy/Joker's Daughter First Print Lenticular CGC 9.8 White. Here are the scans I was able to take

13592535373_9e741109bf_b.jpg

13592535763_f8cdb99238_b.jpg

13592502935_334db6e1d0_b.jpg

13592875954_83ca70f9bb_b.jpg

13592534553_760fab5b0b_b.jpg