• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also extremely pleased with this one. I docked it hard because of a bunch of spine ticks on the back. Was also pressed. I thought 7.5ish

24405321-1B60-44C5-B9D4-DEFBE2B9DDFD.jpeg

6FC9B1B4-42EB-4A66-BF38-5B7218956CAE.jpeg

Very generous. 

19 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Very. Sorry for bashing, but CGC was in a good mood that day.

I thought so too...

You should see the GI Joe #21 Canadian Price Variant my buddy sent in...was maybe a 4.5-5.0 by my eyes. He was praying for a 6.0 I said haha yeah you pray to the comic gods and well, it came back 8.0!!!

I will try to post pics...a press def helped but spine ticks galore on it. 

4 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I will try to post pics...a press def helped but spine ticks galore on it. 

Not trying to bash either, but are you really delighted when an obvious gift grade comes in like that? I wouldn't be happy with that at all, either as a copy to own or if I planned to sell it. You rightly thought 7.5ish, as that is much more accurate for that amount of spine ticks. Is a manifestly overgraded book ever a good thing? How could you sell that with a straight face (not you, just in general)?

51 minutes ago, cd4ever said:

Did they mess up the Darth Vader 1 and the Darth Maul 1?  Switched at birth! 

:(

21 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also extremely pleased with this one. I docked it hard because of a bunch of spine ticks on the back. Was also pressed. I thought 7.5ish

24405321-1B60-44C5-B9D4-DEFBE2B9DDFD.jpeg

6FC9B1B4-42EB-4A66-BF38-5B7218956CAE.jpeg

I'm not bashing you or this book, but it is something like this that gets me upset when an awesome book with no spine ticks comes back as an 8.0 or 8.5.  Yet I myself have an Avatar Goon #1 with 3 color breaking spine ticks that I was hoping for a 9.0 come back as a 9.8.  I just laughed and shook my head, so I cannot throw stones.  But in a grading contest, I would hammer both books.  lol

46 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not trying to bash either, but are you really delighted when an obvious gift grade comes in like that? I wouldn't be happy with that at all, either as a copy to own or if I planned to sell it. You rightly thought 7.5ish, as that is much more accurate for that amount of spine ticks. Is a manifestly overgraded book ever a good thing? How could you sell that with a straight face (not you, just in general)?

I see your point. I mean, rest assured, it’s not entering hands other than mine. And really, if you took away the ticks, there are no flaws. The front is easily a 9.4-9.6 range. It’s only once flipped over you can see those spine ticks. 

I’m not saying it’s right but if you are at a 9.4-9.6 on the front and a 7.5 on the back, that averages out to around 8.5-9.0 which they gave. I’m not saying this is right or even the way I personally grade but it appears to be the way this book was graded.

Really it’s all just proof that for every legit grade of a book they give there is probably one that is not legit. My question to the community here would be how many times should I submit this to get an accurate grade? I would def consider doing so as an experiment

36 minutes ago, toro said:

I'm not bashing you or this book, but it is something like this that gets me upset when an awesome book with no spine ticks comes back as an 8.0 or 8.5.  Yet I myself have an Avatar Goon #1 with 3 color breaking spine ticks that I was hoping for a 9.0 come back as a 9.8.  I just laughed and shook my head, so I cannot throw stones.  But in a grading contest, I would hammer both books.  lol

Me too but maybe CGC does not hammer spine ticks as hard, especially when more visible on the back than front? Or we got gifts?

I mean I have seen CGC give VF grades for books with small water stain marks on back covers. Personally any stains especially ones the size of a nickel or larger knock a book into the Fine range but if it’s the only real flaw, it seems CGC doesn’t hammer it the same way….

Has anyone ever tested CGC like that? Subbing a book 4 or five times in a row and seeing what happens? Costly but not tremendously. I can’t find evidence of anyone doing it tho….I’d be inclined to.

Edited by comicginger1789

14 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Has anyone ever tested CGC like that? Subbing a book 4 or five times in a row and seeing what happens? Costly but not tremendously. I can’t find evidence of anyone doing it tho….I’d be inclined to.

I've read several accounts of people sending in the same book as part of a 25 book submission for 9.8 prescreens until it finally gets graded as a 9.8.

21 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I see your point. I mean, rest assured, it’s not entering hands other than mine. And really, if you took away the ticks, there are no flaws. The front is easily a 9.4-9.6 range. It’s only once flipped over you can see those spine ticks. 

I’m not saying it’s right but if you are at a 9.4-9.6 on the front and a 7.5 on the back, that averages out to around 8.5-9.0 which they gave. I’m not saying this is right or even the way I personally grade but it appears to be the way this book was graded.

Really it’s all just proof that for every legit grade of a book they give there is probably one that is not legit. My question to the community here would be how many times should I submit this to get an accurate grade? I would def consider doing so as an experiment

I don't really know how CGC grade - I'm not comfortable myself with the trade off approach - the good front / bad back average etc. The comic is one entity, and the spine ticks take it out of the VFN/NM range for me regardless of how nice the front looks.

This from their site:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3f64990ca98e0af0d89e674fe16e560c.PNG

Your book only has good eye appeal from the front, and would you call those spine ticks minor handling wear?

Maybe the guy in front of you in the queue has a lovely looking 7.5.....

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't really know how CGC grade - I'm not comfortable myself with the trade off approach - the good front / bad back average etc. The comic is one entity, and the spine ticks take it out of the VFN/NM range for me regardless of how nice the front looks.

This from their site:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3f64990ca98e0af0d89e674fe16e560c.PNG

Your book only has good eye appeal from the front, and would you call those spine ticks minor handling wear?

Maybe the guy in front of you in the queue has a lovely looking 7.5.....

Maybe it is a screw up you could be right. Now I’m intrigued to see if I resubmit 3-4 more times what it comes back at.

If I send the book back for a regrade and they do grade a 7.5 would they compensate me for my time? Or just say “we human, we oopsed but thanks for the money” and be done with me lol

6 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I've read several accounts of people sending in the same book as part of a 25 book submission for 9.8 prescreens until it finally gets graded as a 9.8.

Yeah I know that happens. Like my Hulk 340 I’m sure could one day be a 9.8

I more so meant a book with truly visible flaws. That should be a whole grade point or more lower than it got, by most accounts.

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Maybe it is a screw up you could be right. Now I’m intrigued to see if I resubmit 3-4 more times what it comes back at.

If I send the book back for a regrade and they do grade a 7.5 would they compensate me for my time? Or just say “we human, we oopsed but thanks for the money” and be done with me lol

They'd probably say that a 1.5 difference is a normal and acceptable variance between graders 9_9

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

They'd probably say that a 1.5 difference is a normal and acceptable variance between graders 9_9

As a math teacher I don’t like variance that large…0.5 to 1 at most.

Did the same grader gift me here too? The back seemed very dirtied for an 8.0

E0639440-5CF1-4876-B907-490ABD9CE4C3.jpeg

7CB44D66-EF39-471F-80D4-742CB5743298.jpeg

33 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I've sent the same book in three times to see if the page color would change.  It didn't.