• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,947 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, Smushi said:

Ruins the value compared to blue label. The restoration is small color touch I would send it back into get the color removed a 6.0 Blue label will be worth at a min double and be faarrrrrr more easier to sell.

I did not realize they would even do that.  Is that sent off to a 3rd party or does cgc do it?

On 8/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, BrntWS6 said:

I did not realize they would even do that.  Is that sent off to a 3rd party or does cgc do it?

Ccs you have to send it in they will look it over and tell you if they can remove it and all that and a price. Once done it’s sent to grading and gets blue label. My experience and that of others is that almost all comics with slight color are viable candidates for removal.

it’s a listed option when filling out a submission.   

On 8/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, Smushi said:

Ccs you have to send it in they will look it over and tell you if they can remove it and all that and a price. Once done it’s sent to grading and gets blue label. My experience and that of others is that almost all comics with slight color are viable candidates for removal.

it’s a listed option when filling out a submission.   

Thanks, I will probably look into that when their TATs come down. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:01 PM, BrntWS6 said:

Bought this out of the dollar bin in the early 90s.  Got it graded to preserve it.   I knew it was not a great copy but came back as restored. 

Is there a rule of thumb on how purple labels affect value?

20210728_195747.thumb.jpg.a98c5317a99a6950c20d5cadb015b56f.jpg

Yeah after getting a price for restoration / press and re-grade not really worth it to me right now.  Maybe if it goes up in value I will reconsider.  But not worth it for a 6.5 and the book being gone for a year.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:09 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

H U G E ! ! !

Thank you. Some will probably make a trip back ( graders notes only show pressable defects) the rest I am very happy with.

Think one of the biggest was two of the Superman Platinum Errors.  One was graded by Voldy as a 9.6 ( no mention of the error) The other was originally a CGC 8.5! Also no mention of the error. Both were pressed by Joey and WOW!!!! :cloud9:

Thank you @joeypost !!!

The foreign stuff is over in the foreign thread. English highlights of my most recent CGC box delivery:

This is literally the least exciting piece in a collection of the EverQuest franchise comic book tie-ins. Transformations has fantastic people attached (Devin Grayson, Philip S. Tan, Whilce Portacio), but I don't think anyone involved really cared much and it shows. Literally every other book in the set (Ruins of Kunark, the weird Ruins of Kunark German limited, Accounting, and Quest for Darkpaw) has something about it that makes it an exciting book. This one? This one is more of a nod to completion than anything, but at least squarebound books with shiny, durable covers are relatively easy to hit 9.8s on...

EQTrans.thumb.jpg.656d91b030b1daa64ed73c1e4f89c32e.jpg

These are the two rarest covers of the Labyrinth 30th Anniversary Special. The first one is the Baltimore Comic-Con exclusive (cover by Eric Powell); the second was a Fried Pie store exclusive (cover by Joelle Jones). The Jones cover is one of my top 5 favorite Labyrinth covers, to be honest. If you don't think coloring-book style Ludo makes for a cute cover, you might want to consult with your doctor to see if you're dead inside.

L30-BCC-Obv.thumb.jpg.02edec137e1357134f5b3079b009487f.jpgL30-FriedPie-Obv.thumb.jpg.8d22a9193d44c6aaab7896da260418f2.jpg

The lion's share of this box was Black Hole (some of which are over in that foreign thread). Here's #2 (3rd printing), #6, #9, and #10. I'm really happy about the 9.8 on that third print #2. All of the Black Hole reprint editions (and there are a total of 7 of them across the whole series) are surprisingly elusive, and are often harder to find in grade than the rest of the series (which is sometimes no picnic). My copy is the new top of census for this book.

Speaking of reprint editions, there should be a really beautiful 9.8 copy of #1 (2nd printing) in this picture -- the first on the census. Except... it's not on the census, because it wasn't labelled as a 2nd printing by CGC, so back it goes for a mechanical error reslab. Such things happen, I suppose. It'll be exciting to get that back (again) with the right label, because the second printings of #1 and #2 are two of the hardest books in this title. They were reprints by Kitchen Sink Press shortly before it went out of business and the series was picked up by Fantagraphics, and so had fairly limited distribution. Also, I have some anecdotal evidence that a larger than normal share of these two reprints went to international buyers, which makes shipping-related damage more likely and just makes acquisition flatly harder. In contrast to my #1 2nd, my #2 2nd is easily the worst book in my run.

Meanwhile, I'm not sad about the 9.6 on #6, which ties the top of census. I went through probably a dozen copies of this issue to find even this book (which I honestly was expecting might come back 9.4). Because of their thick cardstock covers, all issues of Black Hole are prone to bindery tears and color cracking along the spine fold, but #6 seems to be especially problematic in that regard. Most of the copies I've handled combined those two manufacturing defects such that the top layers of cardstock along the spine were essentially delaminating, like a spine split that didn't go all the way through the spine. I'd love to have this whole set in 9.8 some day, but right now, I'm happy to just own a clean copy of this issue!

BlackHoles.thumb.jpg.4d4ab68e385eae0295871ee37dab517e.jpg

Also, this book (well, and a 9.6 copy of #2 I'm not going to bother showing off) was what I needed to finish -- at least for now -- my set of Midnight NationNo one but me cares about this series at this point, I don't think. But that's fine. Sometimes books go in the personal collection because they're personal, after all.

MN10-Obv.thumb.jpg.5c8892ee03f83a7bd7e51ce92408bf29.jpg