• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Have a Hi-Res Pic of Kiss Dripping Their Blood in the Comic Book Ink Vat?

42 posts in this topic

I think more people would remember them today as a cut above the goofy kiddie cartoon characters they ultimately became...

But wasn't that their schtick right from the get-go ???... (shrug)

Sort of. At first, at least, it was really more of a glam thing that kept getting more and more over the top--in terms of makeup, costumes, and theatrics--with each successive tour and album. Check out some videos of them from the early '70s on Youtube to see what I mean:

Kiss, 1973

Kiss got very little airplay until they started going "over the top". It was the act as much as the music that made them popular...in fact I'd say it was the act that garnered more attention and popularity than their generic rock songs. I think you're being very generous in giving them praise for their music...

Jim

I think more people would remember them today as a cut above the goofy kiddie cartoon characters they ultimately became...

Sort of. At first, at least, it was really more of a glam thing that kept getting more and more over the top--in terms of makeup, costumes, and theatrics--with each successive tour and album. Check out some videos of them from the early '70s on Youtube to see what I mean:

Kiss, 1973

Kiss got very little airplay until they started going "over the top". It was the act as much as the music that made them popular...in fact I'd say it was the act that garnered more attention and popularity than their generic rock songs. I think you're being very generous in giving them praise for their music...

Jim

I agree that their popularity increased with the their cartoony theatricality...but what I said is still true: they started off as a more-or-less traditional hard rock/glam rock band of the early 1970s, combining and/or stealing various musical and performance elements from Alice Cooper, the NY Dolls, the Beatles (like everyone else), and the early metal bands. The act may have been the money, but most of what we know as the act came later. And yep...maybe I'm just a geezer, but I still say that there are some very tough, very catchy Rock songs on those first few albums. Great music? I dunno...but I stand by my statement that it's often damn good Rock and Roll. Generous or not, I'd still rather hear "Deuce", "Strutter", "Cold Gin," or "Black Diamond" over 90% or so of what passes for Rock music these days...

And contrary to what some may believe, not all the critics hated them back in the day, either. Here's what "Dean of American Rock Critics" Robert Christgau had to say about their third album back in '75: "...It rocks with a brutal, uncompromising force that's very impressive--sort of a slicked-down, tightened-up, heavied-out MC5..." So I wasn't the only one being generous with the praise! (worship)

I've seen these guys live:

http://www.armentertainment.com/strutter.html

As far as tribute bands go, they're pretty damn good, complete with make-up and fire!

Although the size of the flame did freak me out a little, I had been drinking and was sitting about 10 feet from the stage when I felt this huge blast of heat and watched it rise to the ceiling thinking it was going to set the place on fire!

:eek:

Once Kiss took off the makeup it was downhill for them I think

Animalize

Nah, they were already on the slide down once they went disco. I recently heard "I Was Made for Loving You" on the radio and it rekindled the memories of my reaction when I first heard it: "WTF?!"

Kiss, 1973

Jim

I agree that their popularity increased with the their cartoony theatricality...but what I said is still true: they started off as a more-or-less traditional hard rock/glam rock band of the early 1970s, combining and/or stealing various musical and performance elements from Alice Cooper, the NY Dolls, the Beatles (like everyone else), and the early metal bands. The act may have been the money, but most of what we know as the act came later. And yep...maybe I'm just a geezer, but I still say that there are some very tough, very catchy Rock songs on those first few albums. Great music? I dunno...but I stand by my statement that it's often damn good Rock and Roll. Generous or not, I'd still rather hear "Deuce", "Strutter", "Cold Gin," or "Black Diamond" over 90% or so of what passes for Rock music these days...

And contrary to what some may believe, not all the critics hated them back in the day, either. Here's what "Dean of American Rock Critics" Robert Christgau had to say about their third album back in '75: "...It rocks with a brutal, uncompromising force that's very impressive--sort of a slicked-down, tightened-up, heavied-out MC5..." So I wasn't the only one being generous with the praise! (worship)

I think the music from their first 5 studio albums is underrated. It`s not great stuff, but it`s not bad either, and very catchy. But really, the thing that separated them from their contemporaries was their live show, and as that built up momentum it got them into bigger and bigger arenas and more buzz. Ultimately, it was Kiss Alive (which turns out wasn`t really all that live doh!) that catapaulted them into superstardom.

I gotta say,growing up as a Kiss fan,they were awesome for a while........after Love Gun,it all went to shiet...but Kiss Alive is a great album to me...and the solo albums stunk,besides Ace's New York Groove,which is the only song from the solo albums I remember.............

I actually just saw Ace on Wednesday night here in Toronto. He's cleaned up and put on a helluva show. To me he is the quintessential rock god and guitarist who many musicians will claim to have had a large influence from (even moreso than Clapton, Hendrix and Page).

As for New York Groove being the only song you remember from the solo albums it was because that was the only song to be a hit on the charts. If you were to listen to Ace's solo album today from front to back, it's nine songs of pure rock energy from a man who was at his peak for creativity. It's a great album.

As for Kiss willing to sell anything that more Gene Simmons than Kiss itself. Gene and Paul own Kiss, Ace and Peter sold their share of the band years ago so they are not involved in any of the decisions.

As a 7 year old in 1978 they were everything I ever wanted in a band and were larger than life superheroes. I didn't know any better at the time and it stuck with me as I have no problem stating today that they are my favourite band of all time.

Jim

I maybe one of the very few...

(and don't get me wrong I'm no kiss fanatic)

But I though KISS was perfect just the way they were.

I mean seriously, they were a very good rock band

and I am tempted to say that even without all of the

glam, make-up, and riddiculious stunts they simply made

some good solid rock-n-roll music.

The huge benefit was for the fans of them during there 70's heyday.

For those that don't know the 70's was a very, very boring time

and perfect for anyone to do anything to entertain.

And that's exactly what KISS was, some of the best entertainment on stage.

They were probably the best at a live show

but some of there records were solid efforts.

KISS Destroyer is one of the top 100 albums that everyone

should hear before they die. It used to be KISS ALIVE I before I knew that

the album wasn't really a Live performance.

Destroyer.jpg

Yeah, they were sell-outs...

But they were the best sell-outs of all time

that seemed to fit just right with the bizzare Bronze era of comics,

and far out movie bonanzas of Star Wars and Jaws.

These guys are smart and they Rule...

I'm glad I was a fan and still am a fan.

:cloud9: