• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,413 posts in this topic

let's take a visit to our neighbors up north in vancouver canada.

some news rack shots of some canadian golden age (whites).

a shot taken on august 1 1944 at the post office news rack, i can barely see true & wow comics.

ponews8-1-44a.jpg

in a closer shot of the rack in the lower left, i can see true comics, war heroes, dime comics & wow comics.

ponews8-1-44c.jpg

also at another post office news rack near the door is a copy of true comics.

ponews8-1-44b.jpg

at a vancouver coffee shop rack in the middle row, i can see the tops of some canadian whites: dime, commando and wow.

based on the cover of the saturday evening post, this was probably taken around the week of july 8 1944.

too bad the covers are obscured by the other magazines.

vancouvercoffeeshop8-1-44a.jpg

more pics tomorrow...

from vancouver canada continued...

with more canadian golden age!

from 1944 on the bottom rack i can see black hood 13, active comics, dime & true.

vancouverrack44a.jpg

i can partially identify some canadian whites on this rack because eccomics posted his nice collection of canadian whites.

on the rack: war heroes, freelance, better, dime, triumph, true, sure shot 1, spy smasher, air ace v2#7 & joke.

based on the cover of the saturday evening post this pic was probably taken around the week of october 21 1944.

it's too bad we can't see more of the canadian white covers.

vancouverrack44b.jpg

(1944) on the top row of this rack is triumph, better, canadian heroes, true comics, spy smasher, miss america v1#2 & commando.

vancouverrack44c.jpg

(1944) i can only make out a few books: true, sport, grand slam?, sure shot 1, & spy smasher.

vancouverrack44d.jpg

this shot is from 1947. i can see batman?, cindy 27, boy, crime does not pay, sweet sixteen 11, rusty 13, willie, wanted & funny stuff?

vancouverrack47b.jpg

a few more pics in a few days...

I don't recall this being shared in the past but this link to the Life magazine site has a number of images of kids reading comics .

http://www.life.com/gallery/40202/in-praise-of-classic-comics#index/0

I don't recall this being shared in the past but this link to the Life magazine site has a number of images of kids reading comics .

http://www.life.com/gallery/40202/in-praise-of-classic-comics#index/0

Some great ones I've never seen. Thanks for the link!

more from vancouver continued...

this pic is from about august 1947. some books: action 114, animal antics 11, archie 29, blondie 3, blue bolt 85, boy commandos 24, detective 129, lil abner 61, real screen comics 14, terry & the pirates 7 and wanted 10.

vancouverrack47c.jpg

action114.jpganiamlantics11.jpgarchie29.jpgblondie3.jpgbluebolt85.jpgboycommandos24.jpg

detective129.jpglilabner61.jpgrealscreen14.jpgterrythepirates7.jpgwanted10.jpg

this is from 1948. some books: wanted, human torch, capt marvel jr, superman, venus, boy, joker, patsy walker, wdcs, all funny, candy, mutt & jeff, super duck, willie, wilbur, mitzi, hedy, jeanie, blonde phantom, black terror

vancouverrack48a.jpg

a couple shots of while's drugstore around october 1947

whilesdrugstore47a.jpg

some of the books i see are: ace 128, capt marvel 79, dandy 5, woody woodpecker fc169, flash gordon fc173, funny animals 56, funny stuff 28, hit 49, leading 28, magic 100, master 86, marvel family 18, red ryder 52, reg'lar fellers 5, supersnipe v4#3, sweet sixteen 11, whiz 92 & wow 61.

whilesdrugstore47b.jpg

ace128.jpgcaptmarvel79.jpgdandy5.jpgfc169.jpgfc173.jpgfunnyanimals56.jpg

funnystuff28.jpghit49.jpgleading28.jpgmagic100.jpgmarvelfamily18.jpgmaster86.jpg

redryder52.jpgreglarfellers5.jpgsupersnipev43.jpgsweetsixteen11.jpgwhiz92.jpgwow61.jpg

a bantam paperback rack mid 40s.

vancouverrack40c.jpg

Great stuff. Any info as to what's going on here?

this pic is from about august 1947. some books: action 114, animal antics 11, archie 29, blondie 3, blue bolt 85, boy commandos 24, detective 129, lil abner 61, real screen comics 14, terry & the pirates 7 and wanted 10.

vancouverrack47c.jpg

Great stuff. Any info as to what's going on here?

vancouverrack47c.jpg

the notes say these guys are posing next to some magazine displays for the vancouver news agency bert wilkie magazine racks.

here's a pic of magazines being packaged for delivery at the vancouver news agency mid 1940s.

might be some comics in there.

vancouverwarehouse.jpg

july is here and it's time for summertime reading.

how about some fishing & comic reading?

fishingreading.jpg

on a hot summer day, reading a comic and floating on the water seems like a good idea. :grin:

us50s.jpg

this pic was shown before and the kids are taking the bus to summer camp in pittsburgh 1951.

little kid is holding lone ranger 38 & looney tunes 118. someone commented on his cabana oufit. :D

pittbus1950.jpg

the kids here are waiting for the bus to summer camp in boston 1950. several kids have comics to read and the girl at left is holding buster bunny 4.

bostonsum50s.jpg

pittbus1950.jpg

Just one more reason why comic book readers were stereotyped as booger eaters.

GLS_Comic_web.jpg

I found this in an old family photo album. A picture of my father with Ace Comix #96 cover dated March 1945. He was 11 years old when this picture was taken.

Edited by lambfan68

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the welcome. I tracked down a copy of this comic. I plan to have pictures taken of me reading a copy and my daughter reading a copy. And then eventually frame all three pictures of the three generations of comic fans.

That will be really cool (thumbs u

That will be VERY cool.

Welcome to the boards. :foryou:

I'd love to see it when it's done. What a fantastic find.

WTTBs!

this pic was shown before and the kids are taking the bus to summer camp in pittsburgh 1951.

little kid is holding lone ranger 38 & looney tunes 118. someone commented on his cabana oufit. :D

pittbus1950.jpg

Is the name painted up at the top 'Harmony Short Bus'?

blink.gif