• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman rarities
3 3

332 posts in this topic

I'm arriving pretty late to this party, but this may be of interest.

I read Miracleman real-time in the 1980s. Had the entire series, #1-24, most (probably all) of the associated, Eclipse-published issues. But they had long been stored away, untouched for many years, and I didn't really think much about them. Coming across this forum recently, I've been amazed that 1980s material has seen some collecting revival, and the intensity of interest in Miracleman floored me.

So I dug out (probably) everything today, including this -- yes, original owner, bagged and boxed everything back in the day -- the 2D version of the Miracleman 3D issue (I've decided to obscure my copy's serial number for now):

Cover, indistinguishable from regular 3D:

MM3D2D_01.jpg

Page 1:

MM3D2D_02.jpg

cat yronwode's signature on an interior page:

MM3D2D_03.jpg

I handled it today, to take these pics, for the first time since probably 1990, maybe earlier.

It is not for sale today. It may be in the near future.

What now? Should I have it graded?

It is on the inside cover that will not get the qualified label.

I met a guy at the Basement Comics booth at Mega Con (I can't remember his name) that owns No. 6..... He told me a great story about how he came across the book... He is currently working on a 2D registry set as well. He gave me a great pointer on how to spot the 2D version over the 3D without opening the book.... It's all about the paper! It's printed on a different stock... So the paper appears whiter! (thumbs u

that's really nice

how did you find such a high grade UK copy?

i note its got its trade-mark production line (as mine has!)

I have owned over 20 UK copies over the past couple of decades and every single one had the production line mark (my guess is that all the UK copies have this).

that's really nice

I have owned over 20 UK copies over the past couple of decades and every single one had the production line mark (my guess is that all the UK copies have this).

Yep, all my raw copies have it as well.

that's really nice

How many raw copies do you two have that would fall in at 9.8?

that's really nice

Generally speaking most UK copies would grade below 9.0; it is very difficult to get hold of any from auction sites any better than that. However, I did manage to buy a small batch of practically new copies a while back and two of those graded 9.6 and 9.8 (now sold); I have a few raw copies still but I'm not sure of the exact grades (would need to dig them out) but I would say some are 9.4 or better.

that's really nice

Generally speaking most UK copies would grade below 9.0; it is very difficult to get hold of any from auction sites any better than that. However, I did manage to buy a small batch of practically new copies a while back and two of those graded 9.6 and 9.8 (now sold); I have a few raw copies still but I'm not sure of the exact grades (would need to dig them out) but I would say some are 9.4 or better.

How much would you be willing to pay for a CGC 9.8?

Well, let's see... Back in the Fall of '14 when I first joined the boards I was able to purchase a beautiful raw copy (9-9.2ish) from a great boardie (thumbs u for under $100

Now... For a raw 9.8... hm I'm not quite sure...

But I am sure I wouldn't pay 3k for a slabbed one lol

:baiting: if you have any raw ones that you dig up that you think could fall into a 9.8....

I was considering sending Rich my UK copy as well... But I like it too much as a raw copy.. However, if I had that glorious 9.8! I would not have missed a beat sending it him for a sig!

that's really nice

Same here - it's absolutely brutal to find above 9.4. I've seen a ton of copies with rusted staples too.

Ok everyone... I want to see your MM collections... I mean everything! The entire Miracleman collection! Don't know if we should have a separate thread for this entirely or... Just park it here....

I will be getting photos of mine together over the weekend.... Will you? :wishluck:

Ok everyone... I want to see your MM collections... I mean everything! The entire Miracleman collection! Don't know if we should have a separate thread for this entirely or... Just park it here....

I will be getting photos of mine together over the weekend.... Will you? :wishluck:

Seems like a good fit for the regular Miracleman thread ...

Seems like a good fit for the regular Miracleman thread ...

Ahh! Yes! I agree! I will dump all photos of my Miracleman collection here:Miracleman thread

(thumbs u

Ok, looking for advice here. I had these signed through Rich Henn: on one of them the sharpie was a little dry and the first signature was not great so Garry Leach signed it again :) and also wrote "Kimota!" on the comic! Both came back cgc 9.8 s/s :whee:.

Miracleman1UKcgc9.8x2.jpg

I'm looking to fund our vacation/holiday this year so will likely sell one soon and also include a 9.4 raw copy as well (I will sell on the boards as I know there are a number of dedicated MM collectors here).

My first dilemma is which one to keep? I also have the dilemma of how much to offer the other one for but I guess that's really a problem for me to resolve hm