• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My half-assed attempt at a NYCC08 report...

25 posts in this topic

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE PICTURES!

The Con was so incredibly large that I can really only talk about what I experienced directly. I'm also terrible at journalism so please let me pictures do the talking. :)

• Jim Steranko yelled at me for taking a picture of him.
  • Alex Ross screwed everyone over by only offered signed posters, not sign YOUR items.
  • CGC booth was swamped 24/7 :shy:
  • Marvel booth had signings by Jim Lee, Chris Claremont, Simone Bianchi.
  • Stan Lee did the Heroes Initiative signing on Friday and signing at the Marvel Booth later that day. He did the NYCC signing for the first 30 attendees on line on Saturday too.
  • ...MORE TO COME

dscf0065largejc2.jpg

dscf0062largeqy2.jpg

dscf0061largeag1.jpg

dscf0059largebf9.jpg

dscf0058largecg7.jpg

dscf0057largeua8.jpg

dscf0053largepc6.jpg

dscf0045largeci3.jpg

dscf0042largekg4.jpg

dscf0030largeku0.jpg

dscf0027largeau1.jpg

dscf0026largevn2.jpg

dscf0023largeyb7.jpg

dscf0021largepe9.jpg

dscf0020largerb3.jpg

dscf0003largegb7.jpg

dscf0072largekq9.jpg

-Issa

• Jim Steranko yelled at me for taking a picture of him.
  • Alex Ross screwed everyone over by only offered signed posters, not sign YOUR items.

The one time I met Steranko at a show I recall the "no photos, please" too! He, like Ross, would only sign the posters/lithos that he had to sell and he was only doing personalized signatures. meh

My only conplaint about your report was the kink I got in my neck while trying to get a proper view of Leia's side-b@@b! :devil:

Great pics and a swell costume, Issa! (thumbs u

:golfclap:

:o so that's how you get your picture taken with cute girls....

Thanks for sharing your experience at the con! Did you pick up any books?

1.) Women, even if they don't know who cyclops is, would ask for my picture. Whitequeen and Phoenix grabbed me and said "Look, it's our husband!" :)

2.) I got an X-men #1 CGC 5.5 and a JOM #112 CGC 8.0 from Gus @ Silver Age Comics. I SS'ed them by Stan Lee. Ironically, I bought a Hulk #5 from him the week prior and he happen to have those two books that I wanted. Really cool guy. Despite the eBay auctions, Gus and SAComics are great to deal with in person.

EDIT: I was WAY too shy around the chick with red hair/shirt. She was all over me. :o

-Issa

1.) Women, even if they don't know who cyclops is, would ask for my picture. Whitequeen and Phoenix grabbed me and said "Look, it's our husband!" :)

2.) I got an X-men #1 CGC 5.5 and a JOM #112 CGC 8.0 from Gus @ Silver Age Comics. I SS'ed them by Stan Lee. Ironically, I bought a Hulk #5 from him the week prior and he happen to have those two books that I wanted. Really cool guy. Despite the eBay auctions, Gus and SAComics are great to deal with in person.

-Issa

:cool:

Steranko is actually one of the nicest comic guys I ever met. He just hates his picture being taken because his eyes are ultra sensitive to the flashes.

Cool pictures by the way!

-William

MISCONCEPTION ALERT. Jim Steranko would only talk to you if you bought something and/or he signed it. I really disagree with Steranko's methods here, but I WILL give him some small credit. Many artists, from Jerry Robinson to Alex Maleev, were concerned about how much fans are paying for their artwork and warned not to sell their stuff on eBay.

-Issa

Steranko is actually one of the nicest comic guys I ever met. He just hates his picture being taken because his eyes are ultra sensitive to the flashes.

-William

MISCONCEPTION ALERT. Jim Steranko would only talk to you if you bought something and/or he signed it. I really disagree with Steranko's methods here, but I WILL give him some small credit. Many artists, from Jerry Robinson to Alex Maleev, were concerned about how much fans are paying for their artwork and warned not to sell their stuff on eBay.

-Issa

why would the artist care who and where they sell the art (people who bought it)?? :screwy:

they already made there money..

(shrug)

-William

-Issa

I have met him twice and both times he was great. The first time was 4 or 5 years ago. It was brief but he was very polite and signed 2 books for me. The second time was 2 years ago at the Motor City con. I talked to him for over an hour. It was by far the best con experience I have had. He also signed 7 books for me, and I didn't have to buy anything from him.

Bummer that you had a different experience. I guess it just depends on the con and the day...