• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a question: how often are fake/counterfeit TWD comics sold?

I'm asking this because I've recently bought a $100+ raw TWD variant book (limited to less than 1000), but I've just found out the seller has sold more than 10 of the same book in the past few months. I don' think he's selling fake books, but that just made me think. How easy is it to create fake books and sell them as real ones?

I wanted to buy a #100 hero initiative blank a few months ago, but then I stopped looking for it because some fake copies were spotted. They were a little bit different from the original though, but it was hard to understand it was a counterfeit. What if perfect fake copies of #1 start circulating? Maybe there are a lot of counterfeits in circulation that we don't know anything about.

Buying that book made me think so much about this that I'm probably about to quit collecting TWD books...

But since I'm no expert and instead don't know anything about how a counterfeit could be created and if it's even possible to do all this... I'm just asking you.

What $100 WD book did you buy? That might help us. Don't get discouraged about buying WD books. rh3522 is right about the cost of making fakes. The only reason the Hero 100 was counterfeited is because it's a high priced book and if anyone can get away with selling a fake for $10k then to them it's worth it. 2c

I'm asking this because I've recently bought a $100+ raw TWD variant book (limited to less than 1000), but I've just found out the seller has sold more than 10 of the same book in the past few months. I don' think he's selling fake books, but that just made me think. How easy is it to create fake books and sell them as real ones?

I wanted to buy a #100 hero initiative blank a few months ago, but then I stopped looking for it because some fake copies were spotted. They were a little bit different from the original though, but it was hard to understand it was a counterfeit. What if perfect fake copies of #1 start circulating? Maybe there are a lot of counterfeits in circulation that we don't know anything about.

Buying that book made me think so much about this that I'm probably about to quit collecting TWD books...

But since I'm no expert and instead don't know anything about how a counterfeit could be created and if it's even possible to do all this... I'm just asking you.

What $100 WD book did you buy? That might help us. Don't get discouraged about buying WD books. rh3522 is right about the cost of making fakes. The only reason the Hero 100 was counterfeited is because it's a high priced book and if anyone can get away with selling a fake for $10k then to them it's worth it. 2c

Good to know! Thanks!

I bought a #115 B&W 1 per store variant.

Do you know about any other fakes in circulation? I only know about #100 hero and #100 blank red foil variant.

Good to know! Thanks!

Do you know about any other fakes in circulation? I only know about #100 hero and #100 blank red foil variant.

No I don't know of any. If you are in doubt maybe you can sub it to CGC, if that's something you're into. $100 for a b&w #115 is a sweet price.

Good to know! Thanks!

No I don't know of any. If you are in doubt maybe you can sub it to CGC, if that's something you're into. $100 for a b&w #115 is a sweet price.

Unluckily it's $100 + shipping, which is going to cost around $40, custom fees included ( USA to Europe) :P

Thanks for your help, I guess I'll keep buying twd books then, hoping to get a complete set in the future

I think you should be safe. Don't think anyone is out to make fakes of the #115 BW midnight release. Not a high priority and high priced book to make it worth faking. You'd be surprised how many copies one person has of a "limited" and "rare" book. Don't always believe the 1 per store or low print run.

I think you should be safe. Don't think anyone is out to make fakes of the #115 BW midnight release. Not a high priority and high priced book to make it worth faking. You'd be surprised how many copies one person has of a "limited" and "rare" book. Don't always believe the 1 per store or low print run.

Yeah, I didn't know it but I expected it to be like you said. Faking $100 books isn't worth it.

However, maybe it's good that there are fake #100 hero initiative variants in the wild. I might buy one in the near future for less than $20, just because I'll never afford buying a real one. What are the odds of finding a real #100 hero initiative, an official one sketched by an artist, for less than $1000?

So here we go with the next wizard world artist (Des Moines, Sacramento)

WW New Orleans - Michael Cho

WW Portland - Steve Lieber

WW Madison - Rob Liefeld

WW Indy - Michael Golden

WW Cleveland - Greg Horn

WW Fan Fest - No WD Variant

WW Raleigh - Dean Haspiel

WW Vegas - Gilbert Hernandez

WW Minneapolis - Clayton Crain

WW Philly - Clay Mann

WW St Louis - Gerhard

WW Des Moines - Phil Hester

WW Albuquerque - No WD Variant

WW Sacramento - Paolo Rivera

Future WW show - Jerome Opena

Wizard St Louis Cover. Another decent cover. Maybe WW planned them to get better as the year went on. Get the Madison, Vegas, Raleigh, NoLa ones out of the way.

a83aa0_1a2d45d9668b4ebe925a055ed08c8bc5.jpg

a83aa0_b6aa156c03a9453d9667d4ef003518cd.jpg

Now that is an awesome cover and I'm glad I'll be there to get this one. Outstanding!

Edited by natevegas

Nobody's talked about this yet??

Image Giant-Sized Artist’s Proof Edition: The Walking Dead #1

story: Robert Kirkman

art / cover: Tony Moore

August 26 / 32 pages / B&W / Mature Readers / $19.99

The all-new IMAGE GIANT-SIZED ARTIST’S PROOF EDITION series presents special artist achievements in their raw form in an oversized format. TONY MOORE’s gritty line work from THE WALKING DEAD #1 is presented here in glorious black and white inks, free of grey tones, at 11x17.

TWD1_ArtistsProof_900px_1.jpg

The all-new IMAGE GIANT-SIZED ARTIST’S PROOF EDITION series presents special artist achievements in their raw form in an oversized format. TONY MOORE’s gritty line work from THE WALKING DEAD #1 is presented here in glorious black and white inks, free of grey tones, at 11x17.

:applause:

Where will this be for sale?