• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,447 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, StephenWA said:

Hi Ryan, wishing you a belated happy 29th (or something) birthday. I hope you managed to find something fabulous to do to remember your special day. When I was 40 (which was... cough, cough...) a few years ago, I did a round-the-world trip. I spent my 40th birthday in Tokyo, and flew to Vancouver overnight, where I landed on the morning of my 40th birthday #InternationalDateLine

I thought your "page" present from @BladeTXand @Crops068was just AWESOME!

Best wishes

Stephen

Thank you so much, Stephen!  My 40th was great and I got to spend it with my daughter as she celebrated her 10th so that made it the best trip ever! :) I appreciate it!

24 minutes ago, bigclutch said:

Is this what the kids mean by Diamond Hands?

As a high school teacher I've heard a lot of things but that expression may not have made it to the east coast just yet...or if it has I'm just old and haven't picked up on it yet.  The latest new lingo I've heard 'round these here parts is 'sus' which to me is a little suspect in and of itself lol.  Oh the irony...

(rushes to google diamond hands now to find out what it means) :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sensei Ryan said:

As a high school teacher I've heard a lot of things but that expression may not have made it to the east coast just yet...or if it has I'm just old and haven't picked up on it yet.  The latest new lingo I've heard 'round these here parts is 'sus' which to me is a little suspect in and of itself lol.  Oh the irony...

(rushes to google diamond hands now to find out what it means) :ph34r:

HOLD THE LINE!

13 hours ago, bigclutch said:

Is this what the kids mean by Diamond Hands?

Oh I’m holding!! I remember when an eBay auction (which closed during a work day at the absolute worst time) of TWD 9.8 went for $1,000 and there are plenty of panicking members on this thread earlier talking about it.  The cultural impact of TWD 1 cannot be denied and I don’t know (or honestly care) what the top is, but I’m sure the book will stay above $2K in the long term.   

I’m curious BC, in your network do you know who has any of the 3 9.9 Sig Series books?  None of us recall ever seeing those anywhere, for sale or in the registry sets.

23 hours ago, BladeTX said:

Oh I’m holding!! I remember when an eBay auction (which closed during a work day at the absolute worst time) of TWD 9.8 went for $1,000 and there are plenty of panicking members on this thread earlier talking about it.  The cultural impact of TWD 1 cannot be denied and I don’t know (or honestly care) what the top is, but I’m sure the book will stay above $2K in the long term.   

I’m curious BC, in your network do you know who has any of the 3 9.9 Sig Series books?  None of us recall ever seeing those anywhere, for sale or in the registry sets.

Oh dang. That would have been a great score!

No idea who has those 9.9s. Good for them!

Hey guys and gals, I am and always was silver age collector and really swore off modern age books. I never watched 1 episode of the Walk Dead until recently thanks to covid binge watching lol. Anyways got hooked and I now see what been missing. So I now started buying TWD books even though I swore never to get involved in modern. Just limiting it to key issues original run, no variants etc etc..

Now that I bored you with brief history I do have a question.   What issue of TWD #2 is the more rare and more desired by collectors to have ? I always thought first print was the way to go ALWAYS but Im seeing some 2nd print being said to be more rare and thus more expensive ?  I probably stick with first printing in my search but figured I would inquire about this 2nd printing.  Just issue 2 taking about.    thanks Greg 

35 minutes ago, jimjackjett said:

Hey guys and gals, I am and always was silver age collector and really swore off modern age books. I never watched 1 episode of the Walk Dead until recently thanks to covid binge watching lol. Anyways got hooked and I now see what been missing. So I now started buying TWD books even though I swore never to get involved in modern. Just limiting it to key issues original run, no variants etc etc..

Now that I bored you with brief history I do have a question.   What issue of TWD #2 is the more rare and more desired by collectors to have ? I always thought first print was the way to go ALWAYS but Im seeing some 2nd print being said to be more rare and thus more expensive ?  I probably stick with first printing in my search but figured I would inquire about this 2nd printing.  Just issue 2 taking about.    thanks Greg 

Also  Im helping buy TWD for my niece so can get expensive especially when books not going in my collection, so another reason I was inqurying about that 2nd print vs 1st print. thanks  

27 minutes ago, jimjackjett said:

Hi Greg,

I think you need to get a lot of opinions here.  Personally I have zero interest in 2nd printings regardless of rarity.  I'll take the first printing every time, though I do think its cool when covers are revised on the second print run.  It may be rarer, but does the market value that higher?  I'm a bit behind in my pricing awareness but when I was actively building my TWD collection 2017 to 2019, Issue 2 first print carried a higher price than 2nd print.  Rarity vs. future collector preference for 1st print demand?  Another dynamic possibly pushing up the price is full registry set collectors who need that slot for their run.  I do think collecting #2 as a key book makes sense as it is the lowest regular copy print run.  I got mine with an awesome sketch (attached) and I know @Sensei Ryan upgraded his #2 to one with these detailed Moore sketches.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out!  I started with the show's first episode October, 2010, read the Compendiums then started collecting graded individual books with my first purchase issues 1, 19 and 100.

TWD_2_Front.jpg

1 minute ago, jimjackjett said:

Also  Im helping buy TWD for my niece so can get expensive especially when books not going in my collection, so another reason I was inqurying about that 2nd print vs 1st print. thanks  

I'm starting my son on TWD but the best way has been to just buy an extra new issue of TWD Deluxe for him.  You could easily catch up since it is only Issue 8 coming out this week.  Are you familiar with TWD Deluxe?

1 minute ago, BladeTX said:

I'm starting my son on TWD but the best way has been to just buy an extra new issue of TWD Deluxe for him.  You could easily catch up since it is only Issue 8 coming out this week.  Are you familiar with TWD Deluxe?

No Im not familiar with anything LOL . To be honest once the thought of "why not try collecting TWD " crossed my mind and started to looking into it - it became very overwhelming and a bit confusing. Too many variants and such it made me almost say screw it , but I didnt and really just want to keep it with original run type books. Staying  away from variant , convention type books as well as any newer type books. Once I get all the originals , for me and her then who knows. Now just sticking what I can understand and get up to speed. Covid bing watching Im catching up on missing 20 years of this in a few months. thanks for your comments .         

12 minutes ago, jimjackjett said:

No Im not familiar with anything LOL . To be honest once the thought of "why not try collecting TWD " crossed my mind and started to looking into it - it became very overwhelming and a bit confusing. Too many variants and such it made me almost say screw it , but I didnt and really just want to keep it with original run type books. Staying  away from variant , convention type books as well as any newer type books. Once I get all the originals , for me and her then who knows. Now just sticking what I can understand and get up to speed. Covid bing watching Im catching up on missing 20 years of this in a few months. thanks for your comments .         

Walking Dead Deluxe is a reprint but in color that just started in October and comes out twice per month. It has Robert Kirkman's handwritten notes for his plots by page, and he comments what was different in his original idea than the completed book.  And they reprint all the original letters and some new ones.  It's going to be around for 8 years as they go issue by issue until 193.  I'm not necessarily advising to collect it, but if you enjoyed TWD, you can binge the compendiums like I did, or start with TWD Deluxe and follow TWD twice monthly for the next 8 years.

Wow!  Never seen a 9.8 go for this much since I've been collecting starting 2017.  I'll be really interested to see how the 9.8 SS book does with bids starting 2/11.  Even though there are 161 in 9.8 SS, you don't see them for sale very often.  Glad I added RK to my 9.8 Black SDCC 2019 😊.

image.png.7f2dc72a0b536a9a092f425e3c24e4e3.png

23 hours ago, jimjackjett said:

Welcome to the club Greg!

So as I hammer out just key issues to my new comic addiction. I have question. What is the true 1st Negan issue? I see a lot of stuff out there that states 1st Negan. I am looking for the true 1st Negan and or the one that is most desired among collectors.  I assume 100 is it but there are multiple 100s out there lol, Is the one pictured below the one to have? Once again Im trying to limit what I collect right now. Original run, no variants, and just key issues. Sorry if this sounds like stupid question just trying to wade through things and the 1st Negan seems to be all over the place.  Thanks

twd.jpg

3 hours ago, jimjackjett said:

So as I hammer out just key issues to my new comic addiction. I have question. What is the true 1st Negan issue? I see a lot of stuff out there that states 1st Negan. I am looking for the true 1st Negan and or the one that is most desired among collectors.  I assume 100 is it but there are multiple 100s out there lol, Is the one pictured below the one to have? Once again Im trying to limit what I collect right now. Original run, no variants, and just key issues. Sorry if this sounds like stupid question just trying to wade through things and the 1st Negan seems to be all over the place.  Thanks

twd.jpg

If you are doing original run, no variants then yes, the one pictured is the one to have. Good luck in your collection!