• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,448 posts in this topic

My LCS is preselling a set of the 10 covers for #100 including the sketch. I rarely have ever bought special/multiple/variant covers, and this is pretty pricey, but this is pretty tempting. I have to pre-order this week, but what do you think prices on this will be at on release? On ebay they're preselling for around $300.

Phillips

0dc11d96428df4d84ede97290f7ac.jpg

lol

That's Sean as a zombie on the left in the glasses.

Phillips

lol

Now I see him in Rick and Michonne too.

Rick's hair is Sean's for sure

Phillips

lol

Sean talks about the process for this cover, including photo references.

Thanks for posting that...really interesting to see.

it's alot cooler cover seeing him put his face in all the faces.

I think the opposite - it is really self-centered -- it would have been cool if he did celebrities or something along that line..

I think the opposite - it is really self-centered -- it would have been cool if he did celebrities or something along that line..

+1

Phillips

lol

doh!

The zombie in the foreground looks like Cassady from Preacher, maybe I think that because this looks like a Preacher cover.

The foreground zombie is Phillips.

So's Michonne. For those who feel Michonne has a bit of a manly look...here's why:

http://surebeatsworking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/walking-dead-100-cover.html

For that matter, I'll bet Phillips modeled Rick after himself as well.

I still like this cover a lot. My second favorite after Adlard's.

Likeness rights issues aside, and that's a considerable aside, do you understand the artistic process of painting from a model that poses for you?

It's as old as art itself. Today some artists hire models to pose for them, and they are then photographed in various poses and then the art is created with those poses as inspiration.

If you don't have a model to pose for you, you take whatever you can get friends, family, yourself.

It's not self centered at all, it's how art's been created for centuries with a slight twist for modern photography.

Phillips

lol

doh!

The zombie in the foreground looks like Cassady from Preacher, maybe I think that because this looks like a Preacher cover.

The foreground zombie is Phillips.

So's Michonne. For those who feel Michonne has a bit of a manly look...here's why:

http://surebeatsworking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/walking-dead-100-cover.html

For that matter, I'll bet Phillips modeled Rick after himself as well.

I still like this cover a lot. My second favorite after Adlard's.

Yeah, I responded to the original post, and didn't read to the end of the thread seeing if someone else already mentioned it. I've lost considerable sleep over it. :P

Likeness rights issues aside, and that's a considerable aside, do you understand the artistic process of painting from a model that poses for you?

It's as old as art itself. Today some artists hire models to pose for them, and they are then photographed in various poses and then the art is created with those poses as inspiration.

If you don't have a model to pose for you, you take whatever you can get friends, family, yourself.

It's not self centered at all, it's how art's been created for centuries with a slight twist for modern photography.

I appreciate your input - thank you - though, my opinion is that his cover is self-centered. Believe me - I know and appreciate the history of including a self-portrait in a piece - for example - Raphael's "School of Athens" where he slyly paints himself in the piece - which I saw in person by the way, and it was absolutely breathtaking - but that's another story --

Also - I personally think if he wanted to go the "real-person infusion" route - it would have been WAY cooler to paint portraits of comic-artist legends as zombies..as a homage....and having himself somewhere in there in the mix....but again, just my .02. =)

Also - just have to say it - as a lawyer - in my opinion one may, through artwork (not photography necessarily - that gets murky) portray any person, celebrity or private person, for profit - without permission - so long as no logos or endorsements are present (and even then one may still usually use it) -- especially in the case of drawing them as a zombie, which is clearly not going to create an issue of confusion for the public.... / end lawyer rant.

Edited by Jerry S