• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,454 posts in this topic

Kara told me a month ago they most likely are not going to be selling WD pages anymore.

Also - in regard to that $900 ripoff by Splashpage..

yes, its a complete ripoff - the page I posted earlier yesterday I bought for $400. Less than half of what is being asked for that garbage - and its a heck of a lot nicer.

Kara told me a month ago they most likely are not going to be selling WD pages anymore.

yes, its a complete ripoff - the page I posted earlier yesterday I bought for $400. Less than half of what is being asked for that garbage - and its a heck of a lot nicer.

I don't think that is a fair accusation to Splashpage. First, it's his art and he can ask whatever he wants.

What you paid before for a page doesn't mean anything except that your page might be worth more now. Thank Adlard and his seller for that because as they raise prices...that helps the whole OA market (only if their stuff sells and by what I see...it's selling).

I don't think that is a fair accusation to Splashpage. First, it's his art and he can ask whatever he wants.

What you paid before for a page doesn't mean anything except that your page might be worth more now. Thank Adlard and his seller for that because as they raise prices...that helps the whole OA market (only if their stuff sells and by what I see...it's selling).

I bought my page last week on the open market.

Edited by Jerry S

Thanks - I actually like the page, its going to stay with me for a while unless someone has a special affinity to it :)

That could just as easily be Splash Page's rationale as well. But they're a "rip off".

Frankly, anyone asking $3K for nondescript pages, whether they are open to "fair offers" or not, shouldn't be casually tossing around the term "rip off".

Honest question: Does anyone still take Jerry seriously? If so...why?

That could just as easily be Splash Page's rationale as well. But they're a "rip off".

Huh? I lost your logic...wtf are you talking about?

Frankly, anyone asking $3K for nondescript pages, whether they are open to "fair offers" or not, shouldn't be casually tossing around the term "rip off".

What? That makes no sense - its on ebay, with a best offer option, how does that compare to a seller, selling his stuff for a strict price (has anyone here ever gotten Mark to move on ANY page?)

You really need to get over the fact that you sold me a page a while back and are mad that you did...I offered it back to you at the same price...I didn't force your hand....get some hobbies man. Hate isn't a good thing..

Edited by Jerry S

Huh? I lost your logic...wtf are you talking about?

What? That makes no sense - its on ebay, with a best offer option, how does that compare to a seller, selling his stuff for a strict price (has anyone here ever gotten Mark to move on ANY page?)

You really need to get over the fact that you sold me a page a while back and are mad that you did...I offered it back to you at the same price...I didn't force your hand....get some hobbies man. Hate isn't a good thing..

You are not selling your page unless someone has a "special affinity" for it. Guess what? Neither is Splash Page. They've priced their pages for buyers with a "special affinity". There's no margin for flippers, which appears to be your real beef.

I'm not mad at all that I sold my page. I didn't sell it to you, either, it was someone else. You also never offered it to me at the same price I sold it for. I just find it goofy that you constantly whine about Splash Page's price inflation when your flipping has directly led to that. If you're mad at Splash Page, you really need to take a look in the mirror.

You are not selling your page unless someone has a "special affinity" for it. Guess what? Neither is Splash Page. They've priced their pages for buyers with a "special affinity". There's no margin for flippers, which appears to be your real beef.

I'm not mad at all that I sold my page. I didn't sell it to you, either, it was someone else. You also never offered it to me at the same price I sold it for. I just find it goofy that you constantly whine about Splash Page's price inflation when your flipping has directly led to that. If you're mad at Splash Page, you really need to take a look in the mirror.

Sorry - I looked up my records real quick - I confuse you and some other guy back and forth - you're right, I bought two pages you used to own a while back, which you sold for $140 each(?) and you emailed me, in a friendly manner telling me how much you regretting selling them.

You asked how much I wanted for the pair, which was $1200, which is pretty friggin reasonable, if you look at them compared to what is being offered on splashpage -- (The pages, in case anyone cares to look, are from issue 49 pages 14 and 15 - two very nice zombie panel pages - found here )

Just as an FYI - I'm not mad at anything - I'm here talking art and art prices, related to WD - I have every right to express my opinion - and of course you do too - but starting in with personal attacks about taking me seriously? What is this, HS drama?

I can't believe I have to tell another adult this - but if you don't like what I say, respond in a friendly manner and I'd love to talk back and forth with you about it..

Also - I doubt my actions had anything to do with the uptick in pricing at splashpage -- its much more likely that there has been a huge influx of new readers / interest in the comic art market as a whole -- the whole market is experiencing a rebirth -- haven't you noticed OA being moved a lot more lately?

edit - I also just want to point out that I don't always on splashpage - he has some reasonably priced pages that are pretty cool - like this for example..

Edited by Jerry S

This is what's funny...you never perceive what you say about others as a "personal attack" if the discussion includes WD. Therefore, in your book, it's OK to say someone else is a "rip off" or a "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" so long as WD is mentioned somewhere in the post.

Based on that logic, it should also be OK for me to say what I've said about you in this thread. What it boils down to is this: I find you to be an absolute hypocrite when it comes to the sale of WD art.

HS drama would be calling a blind auction a "slap in the face" if the final price isn't revealed. In case you forgot, that was you, not me.

I think that the proof is in the pudding. People may have an issue with Mark's prices, but Mark sure seems to be selling a lot of pages and covers at these prices. Charlie's been working on the book for 100 issues. Given the volume of art that Charlie's produced, Mark's inventory really isn't that big.

People can criticize Mark all they want for his prices, but his prices should (yes, I chose the word should) be set to get the most money for Charlie that he can. That's Mark's job. If Mark's prices resulted in minimal sales, then I think that the criticism would be fair (and the pricing would keep money out of Charlie's pocket). This does not appear to be the case.

I don't see what you are saying - the other day, I posted about a sale for a page that was a good deal ending in a few hours that was under $300..

I don't think I was wrong about that blind auction thing - calling it a slap in the face to his customers - in fact, if anything, it did exactly what I said it would do - hold a precedent for future cover sales..but even if I was wrong, I don't see it as disrespectful to say my thoughts on the practices of a business..

You can say whatever you want - I'm not mad about it -- just don't really see your point -- asking if anyone takes me seriously? What does that even mean? I just don't understand why you even ask the question? Where is the connection?

I'll address this since you added this to your post after my last reply.

Also - I doubt my actions had anything to do with the uptick in pricing at splashpage -- its much more likely that there has been a huge influx of new readers / interest in the comic art market as a whole -- the whole market is experiencing a rebirth -- haven't you noticed OA being moved a lot more lately?

1. Flipping (which you actively participate in) absolutely has led to Splash Page raising their prices. Why should they leave money on the table?

2. If prices are being raised by Splash Page because of increased interest and the pages are selling...then what are you complaining about? That's the free market at work, right?

3. WD OA has very little impact on the OA market as a whole. The OA market, on the whole, would be doing what it's been doing with or without WD.

I think that the proof is in the pudding. People may have an issue with Mark's prices, but Mark sure seems to be selling a lot of pages and covers at these prices. Charlie's been working on the book for 100 issues. Given the volume of art that Charlie's produced, Mark's inventory really isn't that big.

People can criticize Mark all they want for his prices, but his prices should (yes, I chose the word should) be set to get the most money for Charlie that he can. That's Mark's job. If Mark's prices resulted in minimal sales, then I think that the criticism would be fair (and the pricing would keep money out of Charlie's pocket). This does not appear to be the case.

Bingo.

I don't like the prices, either. And I'm not paying them. But other people clearly are. Good for Charlie. When the art is moving, what else is there to say? I find the constant kvetching tiresome. Beyond that, it's also annoying to be hearing it from another dealer whose main concern is not being able to buy it on the cheap anymore.