• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it comicbooks we our collecting or our we just DC and Marvel collectors

31 posts in this topic

It seems all the main comic keys are either Marvel or DC, it seems interest has either waned or thier is non-interest in the other companies. is thier something I am missing? I basically been out of the comic game since 1993 and it still seems the same, Marvel,DC and occasionally thier will be a breakout indie(Bone,Mouseguard and Cerebus).

In the year I have been back the most enjoyable things has been the Ironman movie and these knowledgeble boards.

I love all sorts of comics from the 1930's-1970s Dells-Gold Key-Harveys-Fawcett-EC-St John- DC- Marvel etc...

It bugs me when people just like one character or company and then poo-pa all the rest.

I love all sorts of comics from the 1930's-1970s Dells-Gold Key-Harveys-Fawcett-EC-St John- DC- Marvel etc...

It bugs me when people just like one character or company and then poo-pa all the rest.

I only collect GA Actions! :sorry:

On the up-side, I used to have over 400 FC's and a huge Western collection.

I collect everything, kind of. It is true that most people read the big 2 companies, but there hasnt been alot of "great" indie stuff. The past few years however are beginning to change that though as some people prefer the IDW,Vertigo,Maxx,etc... Which I think is mostly part of 2 things. They dont really care much for superheros, or are too overwhelmed by the 60 years of backstory to jump on board. OR .. They may feel like they are different from the "normal" collector because they dont read "mainstream" titles. Kinda like being anti-establishment if you will.

The boards are unbelieveable when it comes to knowledge, and have started reading ALOT of new books because of conversations here. So your question may simply be this.

Are people open-minded ? For the most part no. They like what they like and alot of people will not budge. I was out of comics for almost as long as you, but when I reurned I found TONS of exciting stuff to read and still do.

Until I became an active part of this board, I collected almost exclusively Marvel. I used to joke that DC really stood for Dumb Comics and never got into the brand. But within the last year or so, I've gotten some education on DC on these boards and have come to appreciate them.

Now I don't distinguish any publisher over another and strictly collect comics.

I will admit that I have no interest to collect any comic outside of DC & Marvel. Maybe it's because I started in the late 70's and that's all you really could get, besides Archie, Harvey, etc.

DC & Marvel have the characters I like and that's good for me.

I love early Charltons...lotsa good artwork and some of the stories are actually pretty good...Captain Atom & Blue Beetle are a couple of my favorites then you have some great Dell/Gold Key stuff such as The Phantom, Magnus, Doc Solar....this stuff is highly underrated and under loved...

Well, take my box of scantily clad women covers-Harris, Dynamite, Top Cow, Dark Horse etc.-However Wonder Woman 150 the Adam Hughes cover is in there as well.....not to mention some Emma Frost covers, but for that run/box( :shy: ) it's usually away from Marvel and DC.

I started out with what I knew (DCs), but have now expanded to comics that contain the content and artists I like...

I used to be even title specific, but now it's more genre and artist specific irregardless of publisher. I thought I would never see the day I was collecting Charltons, but here I am.

Hey Joe

In an early Mary Tyler Moore Episode There was one called "The Feeb" and I had never heard that term used before.

If you loved Mary that is cool with everyone here :gossip:

The first comics to capture my attention were Marvels, specifically Fantastic Four, and I have been a Marvel collector for the last 30 years. Despite being a Marvel Zombie I've actively collected Barks Disney, 3D , Legion of Super Hero, World War 2 covers, super hero Archies and frankly anything that catches my eye.

I think it is a lot like music, you love the music of the era you discover music. To me, the music of the '70's is unequaled. I certainly like music from eras but what I grew up with will always captivate me.

Welcome back to collecting. If you look around this board you will find collectors of every type.