• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did this buyer just get swindled ?

18 posts in this topic

Noticed this auction when it came online last week.

Seller claimed the art on this Spider-man page was done by John Romita Sr, but I was pretty sure it was done by Win Mortimer. Sure the cover of the comic was a Romita piece, but the interiors were Mortimer all the way.

So I contacted the seller to ask him if he was sure and told him I thought it was Mortimer.

He never replied to me and never did change the auction description. He still used the JR SR name (in bold) to attract buyers

Today I noticed it got a bid a few hours before the auction ended, poor buyer bought a Win Mortimer Spidey Super stories page for a grand :tonofbricks:

Or am I wrong here and is this a Romita page (must have been drawn on bad day then)

Ebay link

Zero chance Romita Sr. had anything to do with that page.

You can tell the pencils had the more stiff posing of mortimer and the inks have NONE of the tell tale Romita Sr. signs.

Buyer got ripped off...unless Romita did this with his feet instead of his hands.

Chris

I've read that John had an art direction involvement in the Spidey Super Stories. I just got a Sipdey Super Stories that was attrib to Lieber, but I knew it was Mortimer. Price was inexpensive enough not to be an issue...

Note Winslow did all the issues....

lol. AS has had a page from this book at $100 on his site for along time now..because it was done by Winslow. I was actually in the CAF chat room and posted that page and said I should start attributing pieces to the wrong artist. Even if Romita had done the interior, 1K for a panel page seems like a lot coming out of this title. My cover to Super Stories 13 that really was done by JRSR cost me under 3K.

I felt bad and forward a link to this thread to the buyer. I would think that because the seller misrepresented the item in question, eBay/PayPal should rule in his favor for a refund.

But you're all definitely right--not too smart a move dropping that amount of cash without doing one's homework.

I felt bad and forward a link to this thread to the buyer. I would think that because the seller misrepresented the item in question, eBay/PayPal should rule in his favor for a refund.

:applause: Good move on your part !

I sent the seller a message before the auction ended pointing out that he made a "mistake" in his listing, but didn't know how to contact the winning bidder after the auction ended.

I just got a response from the buyer and he is now going through the process of voiding the transaction through eBay. Just goes to show how important it is to be informed about what you buy.

lol I guess that's why I love this place: I might not be the smartest when it comes to buying comics and comic art, but many of you are and are willing to help! :grin: