• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,464 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2023 at 5:20 PM, DocGo said:

I doubt any of you have seen something like this and it is my favorite piece of his collection. Jeff drew this full page comic strip in March 1986 for a humor magazine called The Sundial which was given out for free on the campus of Ohio State. Jeff later reprinted the single page in the Bone Reader (1996) and also expanded the story for a full 8 page feature in Disney Adventures Magazine (1994), where many people first discovered Bone.

Our collector bought this around 1998 in a cash and trade deal (he traded away an unsigned 3-panel pencil sketch of Fone Bone writing his poetry). The previous owner says he obtained the page from partner at Character Builders after Jeff sold his share to start Cartoon Books with his wife Vijaya in 1991.

IMG_2867.thumb.jpeg.09a6467875f4988669180779a1228eb1.jpeg

If you’ve read the entire Thorn Kickstarter book, you’ll know that this piece of OA will forever be referred to as the Rosetta Stone, coined by Jeff himself. He gave it a full two pages in the back section of the book right after the Thorn strips conclude.

It truly is a momentous piece of Bone history and thanks again to the collector for letting us see it :cloud9:

A fellow board member reminded me that there’s some great examples of Jeff Smith art on CAF that many of you should check out, as well as some alternative artists who’ve given their shot at Bone illustrations. Many of them are convention sketches but there are also some finished pieces that I’m hoping will get a few more likes and comments such as Fone Bone Waving the Flag of FreedomJeff’s Busted coveran unpublished Bone Tribute covera Trilogy Tour cover, and the Complete Bone Adventures #3 cover art, which @CoinAddict has shown previously in this thread.

Give them a look if you can and please make comments!

On 4/16/2024 at 10:33 AM, DocGo said:

By the way…congrats to @Aaroncash for taking over #1 in the Bone (Cartoon Books) registry set! That 9.8 #1 of his was a worthy book to put him over the top.

DocGo’s reign of terror is finally over lol

Thank you. It’s really just a technicality based on points. Your collection is amazing. Hopefully you get the right opportunity to grab a #1 9.8 yourself and you’d easily reclaim the top spot.

Anyone see the 9.8 Signature Series of a second print #1 on ComicLink last night? Went for $2100 :whatthe:

I’ve never had an interest in collecting the different colored logos but I had an inkling that this may go big since it’s the only one on the census…but certainly not that big.