• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,463 posts in this topic

I made the mistake of sending a Thorn book out to CGC for grading - just after I sent it I was horrified to learn that a hurricane was bearing down on Florida… it came back safe and sound but ungraded to my dismay… not a cheap undertaking with insurance etc from Canada!  As I told them it should probably come up as not a candidate for grading when you enter it in their database for submitting! I did notice awhile ago that the sole graded 9.8 does not show on the census - I wonder if it was damaged while grading hence they no longer grade the book?  My book was returned with an explanation that they no longer grade the book as it can damage the book

I went back to revisit the conversation I had with one of the people and he said basically that as far as condition some of the people don’t know how to grade and they could be 8.0 or nm… the other person said they were from an unopened box so they should be nm…. I’m sure for the price they should be nm.  Years ago I sold a pristine copy,  with a period sketch inside autographed to someone else, due to an illness in the family and I always tried to replace it afterwards so I bought every nice copy I ran across trying to replace it… mine all have sketches so when I saw the Kickstarter I jumped at the chance to get a virgin copy so that one day I can get it sketched to me.  I am excited to get another!

On 11/17/2023 at 3:05 PM, Aaroncash said:

In the latest interview Jeff says he has 2 boxes left of the original Thorn books. “I might have 30 of them left. I’m very careful on how I let them out into the world.”

Yeah, he’s been saying this for over two decades now whenever someone asks about his college work lol. I’ve mentioned before that if the entire Thorn run is read in one sitting, the narrative doesn’t really make sense with all of the plot holes and unfinished side adventures. I’m really looking forward to seeing how he bridges these moments in the upcoming book.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, Savvy Collector said:

I made the mistake of sending a Thorn book out to CGC for grading - just after I sent it I was horrified to learn that a hurricane was bearing down on Florida… it came back safe and sound but ungraded to my dismay… not a cheap undertaking with insurance etc from Canada!  As I told them it should probably come up as not a candidate for grading when you enter it in their database for submitting! I did notice awhile ago that the sole graded 9.8 does not show on the census - I wonder if it was damaged while grading hence they no longer grade the book?  My book was returned with an explanation that they no longer grade the book as it can damage the book

The 9.8 became a 9.2 which probably led to their decision to stop grading the Thorns altogether. I don’t know exactly how it happened but I’ve always guessed that the case got damaged on its way from Heritage to the buyer and then the buyer sent it into CGC for a new holder. The graders saw the small rip on the back cover and had to regrade it.

Like I said, this is just a hypothesis of mine. I would warn current owners of any of the 9 slabbed copies to be extra careful if the book has to be shipped.

On 11/17/2023 at 12:18 PM, Savvy Collector said:

I went back to revisit the conversation I had with one of the people and he said basically that as far as condition some of the people don’t know how to grade and they could be 8.0 or nm… the other person said they were from an unopened box so they should be nm…. I’m sure for the price they should be nm.  Years ago I sold a pristine copy,  with a period sketch inside autographed to someone else, due to an illness in the family and I always tried to replace it afterwards so I bought every nice copy I ran across trying to replace it… mine all have sketches so when I saw the Kickstarter I jumped at the chance to get a virgin copy so that one day I can get it sketched to me.  I am excited to get another!

I’ve seen a few with sketches over the years so yours was probably one of them. Very glad you finally have one for sketch of your own!

On 11/17/2023 at 11:14 PM, DocGo said:

The 9.8 became a 9.2 which probably led to their decision to stop grading the Thorns altogether. I don’t know exactly how it happened but I’ve always guessed that the case got damaged on its way from Heritage to the buyer and then the buyer sent it into CGC for a new holder. The graders saw the small rip on the back cover and had to regrade it.

Like I said, this is just a hypothesis of mine. I would warn current owners of any of the 9 slabbed copies to be extra careful if the book has to be shipped.

Ok that makes sense - I knew something along that line had to have happened with it - how’d you hear about it?   It doesn’t seem like something that would happen with shipping but maybe the encapsulation process itself?  I saw offers on heritage for that copy up to 45k and actually thought it sold.  Man… what a thing to happen!  CBCS says they can grade it, honestly I prefer CGC but I am not sure if I would risk it… maybe the bagged raw grade option they have would be a better option.

On 11/16/2023 at 9:33 PM, Aaroncash said:

Not sure how I missed this but I definitely would have been in there bidding! Really bummed out :( on a side note glad I didn’t pull the trigger on a $10k copy via kickstarted.

That was my book and yes, HA's presentation was awful. Shortest auction of the day.  She had absolutely No idea what she was looking at.The COA itself is suitable for framing. would have done better on Ebay.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:06 AM, tom leckrone said:

That was my book and yes, HA's presentation was awful. Shortest auction of the day.  She had absolutely No idea what she was looking at.The COA itself is suitable for framing. would have done better on Ebay.

Really sorry this happened to you. Was horrified while watching the auction take place. I wonder if the auctioneers do any research beforehand or if the higher-ups at least give them a hint about non-CGC’d books.

This is my favorite book from the submission. I submitted five issues from the Crown of Horns storyline which is, by far, the toughest series of books in the Bone saga to get in 9.8 (all black covers for those who don't know). I'm still trying to figure out what happened with the other four but I'll treasure this sucker forever. Phoney is one of my two favorite characters from Bone so this was a must.

I bought this raw from @paperheart and it was signed at the 2023 Heroes Con thanks to the great @Rich_Henn!

2023-10-28-20-49-24-01.thumb.jpeg.386b50c66db31e43f82bd3430cd9c262.jpeg

It looks like another Thorn: Tales from the Lantern will go up for bidding on Heritage this Tuesday and they finally put up the images. They list it as VF and I think that's a tad bit generous. I always thought that mine was a VF+ at best but compared to this one, it would firmly be a 9.0. I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to grading between F and VF/NM so please let me know what you think. Either way, it's definitely a solid copy if you're looking to add one to your collection. Bidding will end on 12/19.

Do I have 4 friends in this group?

Email just came out...

Want to hang out with Jeff Smith for a day? Help us meet our fundraising goal to preserve comics history! For a generous donation at the $5,000 level, you and up to four family members or friends can hang out with world-renowned cartoonist Jeff Smith ("Bone", "RASL", "Tuki") talking comics while looking at rare art and artifacts at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum!

https://buckeyefunder.osu.edu/project/35267/donate?amount=5000&pkid=101947

On 12/13/2023 at 5:17 PM, Aaroncash said:

Do I have 4 friends in this group?

Email just came out...

Want to hang out with Jeff Smith for a day? Help us meet our fundraising goal to preserve comics history! For a generous donation at the $5,000 level, you and up to four family members or friends can hang out with world-renowned cartoonist Jeff Smith ("Bone", "RASL", "Tuki") talking comics while looking at rare art and artifacts at the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum!

https://buckeyefunder.osu.edu/project/35267/donate?amount=5000&pkid=101947

Sold out ¬¬