• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,463 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, DocGo said:

It looks like another Thorn: Tales from the Lantern will go up for bidding on Heritage this Tuesday and they finally put up the images. They list it as VF and I think that's a tad bit generous. I always thought that mine was a VF+ at best but compared to this one, it would firmly be a 9.0. I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to grading between F and VF/NM so please let me know what you think. Either way, it's definitely a solid copy if you're looking to add one to your collection. Bidding will end on 12/19.

My apologies if anyone wasn’t tracking the auction themselves and thought it ended on 12/19. It ended last night and was grouped with a bunch of comic strip tear sheets and TMNT party favors. I assumed it was with the comics :facepalm:

Finished at $6,600.00 which seems right to me for its actual grade.

I finally finished the Bone Holiday/Christmas card set last year. These were sent out to subscribers and retailers between 1993-1999 thanking them for their business. Jeff and Vijaya signed them all and the additional signatures were from the full/part time workers at Cartoon Books. I myself was a never a subscriber since I simply bought the new issues at a local comic shop whenever they were released. I’d see these on eBay occasionally and bought my first few as part of larger lots of Bone comics between 2006 and 2010. The hardest ones to find for reasonable prices were the later ones on the bottom row (1997, 1999, & 1998). Have any of you picked these up over the years or got one as a subscriber?

IMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.0fe8fd02cf93890412085b61b09cb168.jpeg

On 12/19/2023 at 1:23 PM, DocGo said:

I finally finished the Bone Holiday/Christmas card set last year. These were sent out to subscribers and retailers between 1993-1999 thanking them for their business. Jeff and Vijaya signed them all and the additional signatures were from the full/part time workers at Cartoon Books. I myself was a never a subscriber since I simply bought the new issues at a local comic shop whenever they were released. I’d see these on eBay occasionally and bought my first few as part of larger lots of Bone comics between 2006 and 2010. The hardest ones to find for reasonable prices were the later ones on the bottom row (1997, 1999, & 1998). Have any of you picked these up over the years or got one as a subscriber?

Nice looking set!  Same - i've picked up a few via ebay but I don't believe I have all of them... another reason to be jealous of you! 

On 12/21/2023 at 11:06 AM, Aaroncash said:

Heads up… a recently graded #1 9.6 just went up for auction (not buy it now) on eBay this morning. Appears to be graded recently on 12/6/2023.  I’m not bidding on it (still recovering from my 9.8 win) but guessing it will go for around $10k. Thoughts?

The high opening bid may have been a bad choice but it should still fare well. The pics of the book aren’t great which could also hurt the final verdict.

The last two 9.6s haven’t exactly been record breakers but one had Off-White-White pages and the other ended at the exact moment as a CBCS 9.8. What do you think?

On 12/19/2023 at 11:23 AM, DocGo said:

I think I have all of these as well… I’ve never been sent them though!   I just love to see them especially at this time of year

On 12/27/2023 at 8:03 PM, Aaroncash said:

Looks like the #1 9.6 didi't get a single bid.... hmm. I'm surprised honestly but trying to sell right after Xmas is not the best idea? Are we seeing downward pressure on our collection values?

I assume the auction didn't start at 1 dollar, which is most likely why there were no bids.

What was the starting price?

Here’s a comic that’s not in the Cartoon Books registry set but can be found in the All Variants set. Cartoon Books reprinted their own versions of the Image Comics 1st prints with mostly new covers, as #26 was largely the same as the original #26. The only chapter that wasn’t reprinted was #27 so the Image Comics version is the only printing. None of the CB editions were sold in great numbers and I’m guessing that their print runs were among the lowest in the entire series (probably similar to the first eight Cartoon Books issues in the early 90s).

The #22 below was signed and sketched by Jeff at the 2023 SDCC. Big thanks to Rich Henn!

2023-10-28-21-0-46-01.thumb.jpeg.8dc4459f693d9108d396804cbdefb32f.jpeg

On 1/11/2024 at 4:20 PM, Aaroncash said:

Man... a #1 CGC 8.0 just went for $988 (auction) on eBay ... are the prices dropping big time for us? I was about to bid but got called away. I would have went over $1000 for sure.

I'd say it's both the timing (right after Christmas) but especially the extremely poor listing by the Seller. Blurry pics of the front cover, none of the sensitive all-black back cover. The description literally only says "Graded book." Seriously? Dude needs to put a little effort into his listings. Probably cost himself several hundred dollars. I would have steered clear at full price on it as well.

Still, his careless attitude with the listing does end up hurting us all by pulling down the GPA averages. Argh.

Edited by Legion HQ

On 1/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, Legion HQ said:

I'd say it's both the timing (right after Christmas) but especially the extremely poor listing by the Seller. Blurry pics of the front cover, none of the sensitive all-black back cover. The description literally only says "Graded book." Seriously? Dude needs to put a little effort into his listings. Probably cost himself several hundred dollars. I would have steered clear at full price on it as well.

Still, his careless attitude with the listing does end up hurting us all by pulling down the GPA averages. Argh.

It may have been hurt in the eyes of casual buyers perhaps, but we know what’s up :wink:

This is the last of 9.8s from my latest submission. It’s the Cartoon Book printing of #26 and the cover did not change much from the Image Comics version. The blackness makes this incredibly tough to find in high grade and I’m guessing it has the lowest print numbers since it was the last of the CB reprints. Another thanks to Rich Henn for getting this done at SDCC ‘23!

2023-10-28-20-52-42-01.thumb.jpeg.f5369c04ae0090c10b57f2c10984b7af.jpeg

I’m interested to see where this 9.6 Qualified of #1 finishes on ComicLink tonight. Haven’t seen one of these at auction in nearly 4 years. It looks to be a pretty good example but, of course, no one can see the back cover :facepalm:

On 1/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, DocGo said:

I’m interested to see where this 9.6 Qualified of #1 finishes on ComicLink tonight. Haven’t seen one of these at auction in nearly 4 years. It looks to be a pretty good example but, of course, no one can see the back cover :facepalm:

Looks like closed just north of 3800.  Seems low...?

On 1/23/2024 at 1:03 PM, fonebone6166 said:

Looks like closed just north of 3800.  Seems low...?

I think it is too. Much higher than the last sale but not close to similarly graded blue labels which hasn’t been true in the past. Still not a great time to sell.