• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,462 posts in this topic

Why would I take Thorn over Bone #1? It's a more desirable book to me. Earlier appearance, lower print run. 1000 copies printed though probably more scarce now.

+1000

I wouldn't trade mine for a Bone #1 9.8. No way.

I know some people just think about monetary value, and a Bone #1 does sell for more right now (Bone #1 9.8 is around a $3,000 book).

But a nice copy of Thorn is REALLY tough to find. I think we figured there were less than a dozen ever sold on eBay. That's not less than a dozen NM copies, that's less than a dozen period.

The argument to sell a Bone #1 9.8 and buy 3 Thorn books isn't realistic. Good luck finding them...

Time to shake the dust off this thread with some new books. I thought mschmidt would have showed us his haul by now but I guess it's up to me. :)

Sent five books into SDCC for a Jeff Smith signing. Thought three were definite 9.8s, one a possible 9.9, and one that was borderline 9.6/9.8 (I needed books in this particular number range so I thought I'd gamble).

Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication on the pen color as I wanted all of these with silver ink. It really only affected one book so it's not as bad as it could have been...

Possible 9.9 :tonofbricks:

bone13cgc98ss1191698011_zpsd7eda336.jpg

You may not believe me but this is still a 9.9 candidate in my eyes...if not for the bad crease on the upper left corner of the back cover. Probably happened in shipping or perhaps during the signing process. What makes it even more of a bummer is the Fone Bone sketch. :(

These things happen though and it's not the first time. Still have a 9.8 SS in the collection so I'm not empty handed. :)

Lovely books - I personally don't mind the black pen, even though, yeah, it would have been nicer if he'd signed over the logo on the #14.

I window-bagged it for that spot so it had to be signed in silver. doh!

Finally getting around to posting these. Had a few clunkers in the bunch but scored 6 that are definite keepers. Big shoutout to mschmidt for helping me get these done. First one is a #19:

bone19cgc98ss1151475001_zps6bd2b92a.jpg

And with the #22 is where a few complaints come in. I requested that the graders put in a few label notations on some of the books in this submission which I'm very glad they did. However, a couple of these notations ended up being mislabeled. "1st appearance of Bartleby Bone" should be "1st appearance of Bartleby" (the baby Rat Creature who the cousins befriended in the story; obviously not a member of the family of their family). I noticed the error on my account before they were graded and let the CGC guy know the what the problem was.

He said "We will get it fixed." :tonofbricks:

bone22cgc98ss1151475003_zps50f2ff74.jpg

Are Bone #19-25 worth more than $1 apiece? I am looking at another collection that has those issues in it.

They will go well with the copy of #1 (1st) I landed in a collection last year at an average cost of $4/book. It was mostly late GA/SA through early copper DC, but he had a Bone #1 (1st) in nice shape in it for some reason.