• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

bone04cgc991108098001.jpg

People throw these little guys around all the time, but that book is worth the little worship guys. :golfclap:

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

#'s 1, 4, 5, and 16 are my favorite covers of the series too, that's really cool to have a 9.9 on one of the best covers. 2c

I've always yearned for a freak in my collection lol

The low printings and, of course, the black back covers will probably keep it unique for a little while. However, I can see a #40 scoring a 9.9 or 10.0 in the future considering it's the only issue in the regular series without a solid black back cover. I got a few copies waiting for an SS opportunity and I'm willing to ride my hot streak... :)

People throw these little guys around all the time, but that book is worth the little worship guys. :golfclap:

(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

#'s 1, 4, 5, and 16 are my favorite covers of the series too, that's really cool to have a 9.9 on one of the best covers. 2c

Thanks Maloney! Of the first 20 issues, I've always been a #2, 4, 8, and 13 kinda guy :grin:

I agree with you there. It was definitely steep. Compared to the past few copies that have showed up this one is the nicest. I didn't think it would have sold for the BIN though. If anything I thought it might sell for the $775 but figured it would end without a bid. I guess the buyer just couldn't wait for the auction to run its course. For seem reason I think this copy was listed one other time but it doesn't look like I saved the images.

It looks like the buyer didn't really know much about the book seeing the question that the seller posted to the item. Here is the question:

"Hi There, I've always been confused about this book. I'll probably just end up buying it but I need to know for sure. I've got the 2008 Before Bone book which reprints (Some of the strips) but not sure if it reprints ALL the strips. The book I've got has a page count of 54. but the strips only run for about 30 pages. two strips on either side of a page with a total of 64 strips all together. Could you tell me the page count of this book and the number of strips in it? I know it's a hot item and I'd hate to miss out. If it's got ALL of the strips and I've only got some in my book, I'll buy it straight away."

And the seller's response:

"THORN is a collection of all of Jeff Smith's comic strips from Jeff's 1982-1983 school year at The Ohio State University. Total page count is 174 pages and copyright is First Printing, September 1983. The binding on this book is completely intact and ceased slightly, no bent corners and the pages completely intact in binding and are almost entirely white-this book is a B+/A-,not near mint, but certainly wold grade very good to excellent condition with a clean cover and binding. All ages are almost entirely white-just a faint yellowing on the edges. I also have a copy of BEFORE BONE, a great compendium/summary of the history behind Jeff's creation. BEFORE BONE was printed in extremely limited quantity (500 signed and numbered copies) and one to hold on to as it was only available throughout the OSU Wexner Center's 2008 BONE AND BEYOND exhibit about 5 years ago (which also had a book & poster available at the same time and with the same exhibit title). THORN is the book to own if you are a Jeff Smith BONE fan. I am aware of 1 person who actually cut out and collected the complete collection of original newspaper strips from back then-I also own 2 of the original strips. You will probably not see this book for sale again, or at least it will be highly unlikely. I have collected for 25+ years and have seen 3 copies (one in absolutely terrible condition which sold for more than $100). I bought/own the other 2, 1 of which is this auction item."

I think the buyer will be happy with the book. I know I would have been since it looks like a nice copy from the pictures. I just didn't like the price he was asking. :)

It certainly looks like the nicest copy ever put on ebay...from the three pictures he provided. Still smells fishy to me as I posted my question before that guy and never received a response.

On the bright side, perhaps this sale will bring out some more copies. :grin:

Time to :bump: this thread with my new addition.

IMG_50041_zpsbeb1f769.jpg

I've wanted this book for years. It's so hard to find, and REALLY hard to find in high grade. Definitely qualifies as a rare/scarce book.

Usually they have stains on them, smudges, or big corner creases. And even with those defects I've seen some sell for close to $1,000.

With the one in January selling for $895 with smudges on it, I felt ok hitting the BIN on this one last week since it's easily the best looking copy I've seen for sale.

I had been saving for a Journey into Mystery 83, but that's going to have to wait. I had to snatch this one up while I had the opportunity.

It arrived safely, and looks amazing. I'm really happy with it. Easily, one of my favorite books in my collection! :banana:

I just bought a #1 (7th Print) #2 (2nd Print) #3 (2nd Print) for $1 each. Looking forward to reading it with my son!

That's awesome! I've started reading it to my kids too. It's a great kid friendly comic!

My nephew read it when he was 11. He loved it, and read the whole one volume collection. (thumbs u

What was the price, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not in the market for one right now, but this comic is definitely on my bucket list so I like keeping an eye on it

Someone asked this in the copper pride & joy thread too. (thumbs u

wow, what does something that rare usually run?

$850 + shipping.

:ohnoez:

:golfclap:

lol

Here are a few others that have sold to give you an idea.

This one is still in the eBay completed items list. $895 BIN

Pretty nice copy, but it has some smudges on the cover. (Look at the lantern in Fone Bone's hand, as well as his left foot.)

5eBaylistingsoldfor895BIN_zps36c60fdb.jpg

This one sold for $421.10 shipped.

It had red fruit punch type stains on it that bleed through. Plus, the seller had a zero feedback score. I passed on this one.

4-3_zps86f23cc9.jpg

The next one I have a screen shot for sold back in 2009. $1,003.99 shipped.

This one was nice, but it had a faint yellow stain on it.

8-1_zps4716ca39.jpg

There were others before 2009, but I didn't save pictures back then. Going by memory I believe one sold for around $700.

With this book it's more about just finding a decent copy to buy. It's a tough book. (thumbs u