• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,467 posts in this topic

:hi: I think I actually got a REALLY good deal on it by most estimates. :whee:

That you did. We're definitely in a lull at the moment for high grade early Bone books. $2500 is merely a starting point for the seller, I'm sure.

As with just about everything that's modern, prices will revolve around movie development. Last I heard, there is a third -script being written after the first two were rejected (Warner Brothers owns the rights). Supposedly, this latest treatment will split the story into three movies. Jeff has said he saw some 3D footage produced my Animal Logic (Happy Feet, 300) that was "mind-blowing". 2014 at the earliest is the impression I get.

congrats!! That is a very good buy!!

congrats!! That is a very good buy!!

Thanks!

The over/under on the 9.8 Bone #1 on Comiclink is $4k. I got the slightly under. How about you? (shrug)

Wow, turns out it was WAY under :o

I guess when the census on Universal 9.8s doubles inside of a week of the auction ending, the final price REALLY suffers. Feel bad for the seller :(

Wow - I threw in a $2,000 tracking bid earlier this week, but had no idea it would end this low. And this is the nicest of all the slabbed Bone #1 CGC 9.8s :tonofbricks:

Congrats to the buyer, though!

You were not alone. I threw $2500 on it too. It was shocked to see it was sold for merely $2700. Yeah, the buyer made a HUGE break!

The over/under on the 9.8 Bone #1 on Comiclink is $4k. I got the slightly under. How about you? (shrug)

Wow, turns out it was WAY under :o

I guess when the census on Universal 9.8s doubles inside of a week of the auction ending, the final price REALLY suffers. Feel bad for the seller :(

Wow - I threw in a $2,000 tracking bid earlier this week, but had no idea it would end this low. And this is the nicest of all the slabbed Bone #1 CGC 9.8s :tonofbricks:

Congrats to the buyer, though!

You were not alone. I threw $2500 on it too. It was shocked to see it was sold for merely $2700. Yeah, the buyer made a HUGE break!

So a guy who already owns a 9.8 was trying to score half the census? Hoarder... :baiting:

Alright, it's been almost two months so I thought I needed something spectacular to bring the thread back to the first page. The first of three from my latest CGC submission:

bone01cgc961108099001.jpg

This was originally a CGC 9.4 graded in 2007. Got the grader's notes which said "multiple dents" on front cover. After an exhaustive, angular search, I finally found the dents and determined they could be pressed out. Sent it to Matt Nelson and voila :) . I thought it had a chance at 9.8 considering there are zero color-breaking spine stresses on front and back covers but it turns out the corners are much too rough. The curved line above the "B" is a small scratch on the slab itself and the white mark above the left-most "eye balls" is a printing error.

Next... :taptaptap:

This was originally a CGC 9.6 graded in 2008, I think. It was pretty easy to see the non-color breaking creases on this sucker so it was an easy decision to include this with my shipment to Matt.

bone09cgc981108099002.jpg

And finally...

This was a pleasant surprise lol Originally, an old label CGC 9.6 graded in 2003. I bought it on eBay back in '07 and when it arrived I knew there was something amiss. Looked like a solid 9.8 thru the slab and I always intended to send it back. After returning to collecting last summer, I received the grader's notes which stated "lite stress lines" on spine. These were harder to find then the dents on the #1 but I eventually scoped 'em out and thought they could be pressed. Thanks again to Mr. Matt.

bone04cgc991108098001.jpg

I know there's a couple 9.9s of the acetate cover Wizard Ace Edition (which reprinted #1 in color) and a few mints of the Bone Halloween Mini Comic (color reprint of #21), but I believe this is the first 9.9 of the regularly published Bone series.

However, I'm still a little disappointed with this slab. CGC didn't put the "First Appearance of The Hooded One and Kingdok" on the label. Sent a note to Classics to have it mentioned on the invoice but I don't know if it ever made it on there. Someday perhaps...

9.8s, sure - just waiting for Jeff Smith to make a public appearance again.

But I sincerely doubt I have any raw Bone books that would hit a 9.9 (outside of the Wizard ACE editions) - as far as I'm concerned your book is a total freak of nature :foryou: