• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bone Appreciation Thread
11 11

1,462 posts in this topic

Hey Bone fans!

Jeff Smith returned to the comic show this weekend at WonderCon after one year off. My authorized CGC dealer called and informed me that Jeff Smith charged $30 per signing. That money will be donated to Comic Book Fraudulent fund (I am not sure if this is the correct information). The dealer asked him to reduce the price. He flatly refused. It's only one hour for Jeff Smith's signing. I never heard of him charging the signature fee before.

What's up with him? I told my dealer to back it off. My ten books were gone unsigned. Jeff will attend San Diego Comic Con this July. If he still charges the signings, I will have him to sign my #1 copy. That would be it with him.

I was just told the same thing - that Jeff is only signing at the CBLDF booth and it's $30/signature. I'm a CBLDF member and don't mind supporting them, but $30/signature is outrageous - my books will probably end up unsigned as well ...

Yeah, I heard about this a few weeks ago with the private signing that Jake was trying to arrange. I'm with you Michael, I don't mind if he charges a little for a good cause like CBLDF but $30 is way over the top. From what I understand, this was all CBLDF's doing so I don't know how much input he had on the matter. I feel bad for the kids who probably looked forward to meeting him and getting their color TPBs signed.

From all the stories I've ever heard about Jeff, he's always gone out of his way to sign everybody's books for free. I think this is definitely a first.

+1

I'm sure he's only charging to do a fundraiser for the charity. He is one of the nicest and coolest creators out there. He usually does quick sketches for free too. He did the fastball special sketch in my sig for free.

Based on the future Bone movie, I would love to complete my Bone collection - signed or not before the movie is released.

When will the movie is released? Hope that Jeff is doing for CBLDF once.

There's a very slight possibility that the Bone movie will come out in 2014. Last month, the director, PJ Hogan (Peter Pan), was attached to direct a movie called "And So It Goes" with Michael Douglas which was planned for a 2014 release but now it's a Rob Reiner film. This tells me that they're experiencing some delays so my best guess is 2015 at the earliest.

Good! Their delays help me buying more times. Hopefully, Jeff was doing it for CBLDF once and he may eventually sign the books without a charge -- maybe a little charge like Neal Adams' normal charges are $10 for CGC SS and $5 for non CGC signings. I missed Joe Kubert's reasonable charges were first signing book for free then $5 per book.

CGC's turnaround for Modern is now trimmed down to about 85 days. I have to wait for SDCC until July. Hopefully Jeff Smith will able to sign 20 to 25 books without a single charge if I have to beat the time frame for the movie being released. Fast Track Modern turnaround is too much money for my blood. My books can be graded by October/November then I can buy more time on few remaining Bone issues for Jeff Smith's next comic convention --- I have a feeling that he will be at NYCC.

Any idea what is his next comic convention after SDCC?

Hey Bone fans!

Jeff Smith returned to the comic show this weekend at WonderCon after one year off. My authorized CGC dealer called and informed me that Jeff Smith charged $30 per signing. That money will be donated to Comic Book Fraudulent fund (I am not sure if this is the correct information). The dealer asked him to reduce the price. He flatly refused. It's only one hour for Jeff Smith's signing. I never heard of him charging the signature fee before.

What's up with him? I told my dealer to back it off. My ten books were gone unsigned. Jeff will attend San Diego Comic Con this July. If he still charges the signings, I will have him to sign my #1 copy. That would be it with him.

I was just told the same thing - that Jeff is only signing at the CBLDF booth and it's $30/signature. I'm a CBLDF member and don't mind supporting them, but $30/signature is outrageous - my books will probably end up unsigned as well ...

Yeah, I heard about this a few weeks ago with the private signing that Jake was trying to arrange. I'm with you Michael, I don't mind if he charges a little for a good cause like CBLDF but $30 is way over the top. From what I understand, this was all CBLDF's doing so I don't know how much input he had on the matter. I feel bad for the kids who probably looked forward to meeting him and getting their color TPBs signed.

From all the stories I've ever heard about Jeff, he's always gone out of his way to sign everybody's books for free. I think this is definitely a first.

+1

I'm sure he's only charging to do a fundraiser for the charity. He is one of the nicest and coolest creators out there. He usually does quick sketches for free too. He did the fastball special sketch in my sig for free.

I missed Jeff Smith at C2E2 two years ago but my books were signed under CGC's care. Hopefully, I will meet him somehow! Thanks for the head ups.

Hey Bone fans!

At the cbldf signing, Jeff only charged $5 per book (but $30 per comic). Kids with TPBs didn't have much of an issue, I'd imagine.

I would have to agree with you, Bill. The CBLDF probably set the price. They probably figured that if they set the price for comics at $30 the line would move along faster. Collectors would be the ones with the comics and knowing that in the past he hasn't charged for his signature might have one signed and just move on instead of having multiple copies signed. A child on the other hand would be bringing a TPB instead of a comic and probably only want one signed so they would get the quick $5 from them and keep the line moving. At least that would be a smart move to me seeing as he was only signing for an hour and probably wanted to sign for as many fans as possible. :)

"I believe there will be a nice remarqued edition of BONE, we're just finalizing that with Jeff now."

Sounds like the IDW Artist's Edition of Bone will have a premium edition after all!

What does a Bone #1 cgc 9.8 green label get? The guy that has one on ebay has 5k on his, but i was curious what an actualized price was....

I've only seen one 9.8Q ever sell and it was for $1706 on ComicLink back in March '10 (not the same one that's currently on eBay).

Unless the movie premiere promotes on TV, I will be ....... :headbang:... :banana:.... ^^ ^^ ^^... maybe :insane: myself.

Jeff Smith recently refused to sign my comic books unless $30 per copy (he was at CBLDF booth) and has given his authorizations to the movie makers while changing many hands until the movie is ready. It has been 5 fudging years!

Hopefully, he will sign my books at SDCC unless he is back to his old self.

He drives me into.... :insane:...for real!

I can't wait to sell my Bone collection to the public before the movie is being released. I have a reason to be insane.

He took a year off then he was back to the convention. I was excited but I was extremely disappointed that he wanted $30 per copy. That WAS other reason that I was insane!

I can't wait to sell my Bone collection to the public before the movie is being released. I have a reason to be insane.

So you're upset that he wanted a small piece of your upcoming flip? You realize it was for charity, right?