• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,613 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2024 at 7:27 PM, Sqeggs said:

Yeah. I don't think JVJ bought the Flyin' Jenny cover and I think he was right. I've a copy or two but never thought that it was a Baker book. 

The Saint 4 is another classic misattribution.

On 11/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, comicnoir said:

So I finally graded my copy and it just got back.

cinderella love 25 7.5.jpg

Yowza! Major congrats! If you're wondering about the market price of a copy in that grade, you will soon find out!

On 11/23/2023 at 12:10 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Two strong regrets9_9 

but at least I can be thankful I had them for a little while

Gorgeous 7.5 Ron! 

c love 25.jpeg

Giant Comics Edition 12.jpeg

And why is it, again, that you didn't sell them to me?? :taptaptap:

On 5/26/2024 at 7:24 PM, Sqeggs said:

Look on my item ye mighty and despair!

A rarity from that period in which Baker was working for Quality under the pen name "Ogden Whitney." :insane:

CGC4389220-003_OBV.jpg

Wartime Romances 9 may have a Matt Baker, cover but True War Romances 9 sure doesn't. Never saw a mislabeled CGC book before

On 11/29/2023 at 2:23 AM, Darwination said:

Got excited when I saw a 3.0 at Comiclink of the issue saying one of 2 graded copies.  But no, 10 copies in census.

20231129_004750.jpg

Yeah, always check the CLink census counts. They sometimes roll over item descriptions from one auction to the next ... and the next .... and the next ....

On 12/2/2023 at 10:58 AM, Robot Man said:

Girls like that got me in trouble back in my younger days…:devil:

Who gets you in trouble these days? hm

On 12/18/2023 at 1:15 AM, MBFan said:

That price is out-of-line for a restored book, unless the buyer can undo the restoration without further damage.       

The spine split negatively affects the grade, and the existence of tape negatively affects the grade. If the tape can be removed without worsening the spine split, the book should get a blue label and and a possible grade bump. 

Might have been a better idea to buy the TAR 33 CGC 4.5 blue label that's on the Bay right now for only $445 more. 

I'm also thinking that the buyer is hoping to reverse the resto. I know from experience that sometimes Nelson & Co. will decline to undo a sealed spine split if doing so will signifcantly damage the book. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/18/2023 at 6:37 PM, Inaflash said:

Since we’re on the topic, I’ll show this copy again. Sixth Street copy which was single highest at 6.5 (cracked out) and now tied with one other.

IMG_1426.jpeg

My understanding is that there are still some Sixth Street books that haven't come to market. 

Edited by Sqeggs

On 12/20/2023 at 11:31 PM, Point Five said:

Here's an epic Baker cover you just never see! (Unless of course you've watched me post it here every six months or so.) 

wildboy14.thumb.jpg.eff8da3d7a7c04ec0db50ff08de63311.jpg

I think these are overlooked. There are also a couple of Saunders covers in that run (or maybe they were in the earlier Ziff-Davis run).

Wild_Boy_14.jpg

On 5/26/2024 at 8:23 PM, Sqeggs said:

My understanding is that there are still some Sixth Street books that haven't come to market. 

Definitely some.  Maybe a lot.