• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

Gentlemen I stand ready to tell you why, unequivocally, what is happening should not be happening! lol

Later. In the meantime, to those who are circling the 6th st copy because it is more affordable than the CL 5.5, caution is advised. There may be more copies than you know out there. Just 2 more coming in at 6.0 or better will puncture this balloon right quick. And I think we can safely say that IF they are out there, you will see them this year due to these prices.

imho the TAR 9 cover is not great - just meh. Really, more beefcake than cheesecake. The blonde is not drawn very well, far from Baker's best. No making out, no hints of violence or submission. The tropical beach setting is nice, but there are better. And what are those lines in the sky? Are they supposed to be clouds? Baker had swipes for everything, what happened there? The main thing it's got going for it is a double entendre straight out of beavis and butthead - you said hold d*ck heh heh heh

Cinderella Love 25, while not my #1 favorite cover, in terms of its artistry is so much better. It has proven itself over time as iconic (at least, until now!). More later on pricing/demand & supply. Hint: there really isn't as much supply as you think.

Supply is an interesting topic. After some killer high sales prices on the CL 25, the fact that more didn't come out of the woodwork might suggest supply is pretty tight. I can say that in over 20+ years of aggressive Baker hunting, CL 25 was definitely not the hardest of the CLs to acquire. But that was just my experience.

The one fun part is that Baker is coming out of the woodwork and thus hopefully supply and demand will harmonize a bit more.

TR 9 is way harder to find than CL 25. I've had 3 different copies of CL 25 and only could find one TR 9 in 9 years. The ones being offered now on Clink and the Sixth St. copy (TR 9) are the first I have seen since acquiring my copy. I am willing to bet that almost everyone of the regulars here on this thread have a CL 25 in their collection. Add those to the ones we have seen offered lately. That is quite a few CL 25's. CL 25 is one of my favorites, just not HTF.

You wouldn't be saying this in a last ditch effort to discourage over-the-top bidding, would you?

Perhaps! lol you deep pocket guys drive me crazy!

My wife, who is a very wise woman (and not just for marrying me you understand) told me two important things

only a fool argues with the market

romance comics are for sissy boys

I would argue the first point, and my feelings were deeply hurt on the other.

You wouldn't be saying this in a last ditch effort to discourage over-the-top bidding, would you?

My wife, who is a very wise woman (and not just for marrying me you understand) told me two important things

We romance collecting men are known for our tough exterior and soft under bellies. :D

The whole Baker thing is really interesting. I think we are likely to experience significant volatility in prices because we have a relatively small group chasing a relatively small number of copies.

I think Rick Starr is correct that the CL 25 went low last night because most Baker fans already have one and, unlike iconic books in other genres, Bakers don't seem to have much crossover appeal -- GCE 12 being the obvious exception. Perhaps there is some crossover with crime books as well, which might explain the otherwise very surprising sale of the 6th Street APC 6. In this respect, note that many of the GA boardies never post in this thread and, I would guess, just aren't interested in romance books. I think the floor that may exist for key books in other genres may not exist for Bakers.

So, we will have see whether the supply response that is occurring is enough to bring prices down -- at least from 6th Street levels! -- and make it possible to think of completing runs without buying a one-way ticket to the poorhouse.

We romance collecting men are known for our tough exterior and soft under bellies. :D

You've got us pegged! lol

imho the TAR 9 cover is not great - just meh. Really, more beefcake than cheesecake. The blonde is not drawn very well, far from Baker's best. No making out, no hints of violence or submission. The tropical beach setting is nice, but there are better. And what are those lines in the sky? Are they supposed to be clouds? Baker had swipes for everything, what happened there? The main thing it's got going for it is a double entendre straight out of beavis and butthead - you said hold d*ck heh heh heh

Maybe it's just because of the comment about the Jo-Jo 25 cover, but does the guy's head seem a bit small for his body? hm

The whole Baker thing is really interesting. I think we are likely to experience significant volatility in prices because we have a relatively small group chasing a relatively small number of copies.

I think Rick Starr is correct that the CL 25 went low last night because most Baker fans already have one and, unlike iconic books in other genres, Bakers don't seem to have much crossover appeal -- GCE 12 being the obvious exception. Perhaps there is some crossover with crime books as well, which might explain the otherwise very surprising sale of the 6th Street APC 6. In this respect, note that many of the GA boardies never post in this thread and, I would guess, just aren't interested in romance books. I think the floor that may exist for key books in other genres may not exist for Bakers.

So, we will have see whether the supply response that is occurring is enough to bring prices down -- at least from 6th Street levels! -- and make it possible to think of completing runs without buying a one-way ticket to the poorhouse.

Those with a long enough memory will remember that we've been here before, when scarce Baker romance issues first hit ebay, and a hard core bid up low grade copies to astronomical values. Then things gradually tapered off. CGC/high end copies have brought that intensity back. And as you say, it quickly fizles out when a small but significant number of copies of any given issue are acquired by a tiny romance community of sissy boys. lol

Those with a long enough memory will remember that we've been here before, when scarce Baker romance issues first hit ebay, and a hard core bid up low grade copies to astronomical values. Then things gradually tapered off. CGC/high end copies have brought that intensity back. And as you say, it quickly fizles out when a small but significant number of copies of any given issue are acquired by a tiny romance community of sissy boys. lol

Very good point. Baker prices seemed to hit a peak in 2002 and then a real lowpoint in the 2006-2007 period. And then since 2012, it seems like a new high is achieved almost on a weekly basis.

I actually believe that there are much more Baker collectors than are active on this thread. And as we all know, when prices go up, many more collectors/investors are drawn to the excitement. So prices in my opinion can go in almost any direction. As we know, it only takes two to set a new record high. And I suspect there are at least three going after most of the high grade Baker books. :D

Very good point. Baker prices seemed to hit a peak in 2002 and then a real lowpoint in the 2006-2007 period. And then since 2012, it seems like a new high is achieved almost on a weekly basis.

I actually believe that there are much more Baker collectors than are active on this thread. And as we all know, when prices go up, many more collectors/investors are drawn to the excitement. So prices in my opinion can go in almost any direction. As we know, it only takes two to set a new record high. And I suspect there are at least three going after most of the high grade Baker books. :D

I'd say, 2003 was really where this trend towards fantastic prices began. An amazing OO GA collection was discovered by Neat Stuff Collectibles, and auctioned on eBay. There were Bakers that many of us were seeing for the very first time. Many of the late period issues of Cinderella Love, Diary Secrets, Going Steady, and Teen-Age Romances were there, and in solid grades. Fierce competition over those books resulted in then-unimaginable prices.

After that, the occasional Bakers continued to trickle in, but prices remained just as strong for the quality items, because the same three or four determined collectors were still competing. (I don't mind owning up to being one of those collectors. Would anybody else care to stand up and identify themselves, Rick Starr and Flex Mentallo?)

Yes, all this is partly our fault.

I'm sure you guys remember 2005 and 2006... there was no particular shortage of new-to-market Bakers... but they were largely monopolized by a character named Joe Serpico... (at least, that was one of the very similar names he used. We suspected it was probably two or more brothers, working in unison.) I, for one, had a terrible time landing anything, during that period. Joe seemed to want every single Baker that came around, and appeared to have unlimited disposable income to put towards them. All we could do was watch and wait for him to cross off his entire want list.

There was actually another fairly large collection of Bakers that was sold on eBay during '05 and '06... but the identity of the seller eludes me at the moment. (Michael, do you remember who that was?) Prices continued to be strong, though.

2006 and 2007, the Crippen Bakers were auctioned through Heritage, and those sold consistently well, but for some reason didn't set any records. In 2009 and 2010, another large batch of graded books sold through Comicconnect, over approximately three different auctions, and many of those set new record prices.

I'm really just reminiscing, here, but the overview of past events might be interesting to newer collectors.

I'd say, 2003 was really where this trend towards fantastic prices began. An amazing OO GA collection was discovered by Neat Stuff Collectibles, and auctioned on eBay. There were Bakers that many of us were seeing for the very first time. Many of the late period issues of Cinderella Love, Diary Secrets, Going Steady, and Teen-Age Romances were there, and in solid grades. Fierce competition over those books resulted in then-unimaginable prices.

After that, the occasional Bakers continued to trickle in, but prices remained just as strong for the quality items, because the same three or four determined collectors were still competing. (I don't mind owning up to being one of those collectors. Would anybody else care to stand up and identify themselves, Rick Starr and Flex Mentallo?)

I'm sure you guys remember 2005 and 2006... there was no particular shortage of new-to-market Bakers... but they were largely monopolized by a character named Joe Serpico... (at least, that was one of the very similar names he used. We suspected it was probably two or more brothers, working in unison.) I, for one, had a terrible time landing anything, during that period. Joe seemed to want every single Baker that came around, and appeared to have unlimited disposable income to put towards them. All we could do was watch and wait for him to cross off his entire want list.

There was actually another fairly large collection of Bakers that was sold on eBay during '05 and '06... but the identity of the seller eludes me at the moment. (Michael, do you remember who that was?) Prices continued to be strong, though.

2006 and 2007, the Crippen Bakers were auctioned through Heritage, and those sold consistently well, but for some reason didn't set any records. In 2009 and 2010, another large batch of graded books sold through Comicconnect, over approximately three different auctions, and many of those set new record prices.

I'm really just reminiscing, here, but the overview of past events might be interesting to newer collectors.

I'm a Johnny-come-lately to this. With respect to the observation in bold above, as penance you may want to consider not participating in Baker auctions for the next few years. :makepoint:

jtomlinson

bakerfan

serpii

you

me

There might have been one or two others, I forget.

John Tomlinson put huge initial bids on all of those books - over 1k each. Then people started bidding, and bidding, and bidding...He actually emailed me to say there was no point me bidding any higher! He said he'd done it because he was going to be travelling when the auctions closed.

Then serpii appeared. I believe he is a boardie, but doesn't post much and is now - or at least was later - into bronze age stuff.

bakerfan got really irate with serpii and was determined to "break him". Dont think that worked. serpii would just keep hiking thebids and even JT couldnt get a look in. I gave up too.

When I sold most of my collection around 2005 to fund my work in India, I sold the majority of my Bakers to serpii for a large sum. That money went a long way in an indian village! but I never regained many of the books I sold, which included high grade copies of many books. I believe he later sold them - or some of them - to Metro.

Edited by Flex Mentallo

a few years ago serpii posted that he shifted totally into original art and is out of the slabbed comics market.

And bakerfan's true identity, of course, is Shaun Clancy, a well known name in the collecting community. He's got to be a boardie... anyone know his board ID?

A while back, when we were discussing the ultra rare Diary Secrets nn, it occurred to me that Shaun might very well have one. His romance collection must be the stuff of legend.

Quite a history lesson and memory! I think the Ebay auction in 05 and 06 of a mass of Baker books was an Ebay seller Adamstrangearcheologist (spelling?).

He sold off an incredible collection.

There was a lot of intensity and frustrations with acquiring Bakers back then.

Many covers I had never seen before and I have been going to major conventions since the late 1970's. I had forgotten about ole' Joe S.

I know Shaun Clancy must have an incredible Baker collection most likely with multiple copies of issues.

Quite a history lesson and memory! I think the Ebay auction in 05 and 06 of a mass of Baker books was an Ebay seller Adamstrangearcheologist (spelling?).

Yeh that's our Michael.

And Alanah. And Flex Mentallo.

lol

Yeh that's our Michael.

And Alanah. And Flex Mentallo.

lol

Multiple names! A shifty character, eh?