• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,614 posts in this topic

The market is a perfect pricing mechanism? Especially given today's conditions - liquidity in capital transfer, access to information, the commoditization of the item.

Seller's business practices, however, are not standard. Sqeggs - how does one assign a value to inventory carries? Opportunity cost + insurance + space rental?

In the jargon of this stuff, you have to figure out the economic order quantity, the calculation of which includes the costs you note, as well as security expenses, and so on. Also takes into account shortage costs as when Bedrock Comics loses customers by not having a good selection of Action 1s available for purchase. :D

Actually, I have no idea how people running this kind of business analyze this issue, if they do it other than by seat of the pants methods. Formally, for tax purposes, I assume they use specific identification as their inventory cost flow assumption. On the other hand, most comic book stores these days I think generate most of their revenue from sales of TBs, statues, and whatnot, rather than unique items like back issue comics. So, maybe they use FIFO, or, ah, what was the question again? :D

I have the perfect solution to the Baker mess...avoid E-bay, unless the seller does not know what they have and puts a BIN of $40 or less on the book. Shop only at comic shows, or search the back issue boxes at every comic shop in the U.S. until you find cheap Bakers. Also, and this is a last resort, buy issues from Squeggs when he sells them in the selling forum. He has decent prices, and knows how to undergrade as well as Dolgoff. :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

Microbia always prices high. That being said, it's a nice looking 5.0 and if 29 dukedog hadn't already promised me his 8.5, (in an alternate universe) I might have taken it.

In another life, when we are both cats. My reincarnation will sell it to your reincarnation.

I don't think Shay is always high, but on this one he seems to be trying to milk the cow. I had one of those. Never liked the cover, so I traded it for my Wartime Romances 17, which I like much better. One of us Baker boys owns my old copy, and I think it is better than a 5.0. Maybe I made a bad trade, but at the time it was between a book I didn't want and a book I had wanted for 20 years. It was not a tough choice.

Here's my old copy:

21b1a86.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

Also listed tonight, another low grade Cinderella Love 25. It'll be interesting to see where this one ends.

Cinderella Love 25 auction

Except for the damage in the title area and the missing corner chip, the FC seems in pretty good shape. I can see slabbing that one. Even if it came back a 1.8, you would still have a pretty nice looking book. hm

The DS 18 for $170 was a pretty good pickup for whoever got it. A book that seems available in lower grades but I don't think I've ever seen a high grade copy.

My copy might squeak by as a fine.

issue-007274_zps73d5ced5.jpg

Nice books Sqeggs. It's occurred to me this year that very few Bakers are actually scarce. Maybe scarce in high grade, but not really scarce...just hoarded.

It reminds me of the time 29dukedog and I were eating fries with mayonnaise at his favorite Belgian restaurant in Minneapolis, and he said "You know Brian, the reason I have 18,000 Baker romance books stashed away is because I need to send all of my Doberman's to college someday."

I think that about sums it up... hm

Edited by tricolorbrian

Nice books Sqeggs. It's occurred to me this year that very few Bakers are actually scarce. Maybe scarce in high grade, but not really scarce...just hoarded.

It reminds me of the time 29dukedog and I were eating fries with mayonnaise at his favorite Belgian restaurant in Minneapolis, and he said "You know Brian, the reason I have 18,000 Baker romance books stashed away is because I need to send all of my Doberman's to college someday."

I think that about sums it up... hm

Did Gandhiji collect comic books, or is that an obscure question?

Edited by Flex Mentallo