• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

That TAT 2 is risqué even by today's standards..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Perhaps that should be, "especially by today's standards". The way Baker's men all look like they're 48 years old, TAT 2 looks alot like a silly schoolgirl being abducted, against her better judgement.

Except she looks about 25. Not that I'm complaining!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

From the looks of some of the covers, St. John should have been honest and titled a series "Jail Bait Romances".

lol

Yeah, our man's one weakness is that he couldn't draw an adolescent male to save his soul.

Baker's people looked younger in the interior stories, even the men. He seemed to put more detail on faces when doing covers, which makes them appear older.

Just going through scans of my TARs and TATs and I think she might come closest to passing as a teenager.

teenagetemptations1fmed_zps5ad0dfc8.jpg

Edited to add: I should say with respect to Comicnoir's point that I was just looking at my scans of the covers.

Edited by Sqeggs

tat2_zps9ea2fd61.jpg

This is clearly a high school setting- the marching band uniform, the guy on the bus with a letter jacket. It would've made more sense to give the guy in the foreground a letter jacket, too, instead of a businessman's suit. Nevertheless, the implication most likely intended is that the guy is the same age as the girl, despite appearances.

au contraire mon cher. The reference to the car makes him an older gentleman. Her loosey goosey nature and the previewed title "My Forbidden Kisses" suggests the statutory rape angle.

tsk tsk one of the naughtier st johns

au contraire mon cher. The reference to the car makes him an older gentleman. Her loosey goosey nature and the previewed title "My Forbidden Kisses" suggests the statutory rape angle.

tsk tsk one of the naughtier st johns

A high school student couldn't have had a driver's license, back in 1954?

Now, see...this is what happened...

The girl broke her leg. The guy is a doctor (Dr. Love?) who wants to take her to a hospital instead of letting her ride in an ambulance. Note the way one of her legs is higher than the other. That's the broken leg. Her right arm also appears to be hurt. This is just a compassionate man trying to help. And he gets no thanks for it...such is the world... hm(tsk)

Edited by tricolorbrian

Just going through scans of my TARs and TATs and I think she might come closest to passing as a teenager.

teenagetemptations1fmed_zps5ad0dfc8.jpg

Edited to add: I should say with respect to Comicnoir's point that I was just looking at my scans of the covers.

The cover for Diary Secrets #19 is in the same vein, depicting an obviously older man hitting on the teen-looking refreshment vendor at a ballgame. The guy to the left wearing a t-shirt looks like he's more in her age bracket.

Is the U.S. copy scarce or something? I haven't looked at all 300+ pgs of this thread, but do not recall seeing one posted in the time I've been here. Maybe Dr. Love could make a scarcity index for Baker books... hm

Well, yes. But certainly not as scarce as that Aussie edition.

That TAT 2 is risqué even by today's standards..... GOD BLESS...

Perhaps that should be, "especially by today's standards". The way Baker's men all look like they're 48 years old, TAT 2 looks alot like a silly schoolgirl being abducted, against her better judgement.

.... You're absolutely right..... back in those days, a 10 year age difference was not uncommon. My Grandma met my Grandpa when she was 18 and he was 35..... but she DID have 3 kids already. The only English my Grandfather knew when he came to America from Holland was how to ask directions to the farm he had bought..... but apparently he spoke the Universal Language fluently. GOD BLESS...

I've posted this before. Crippen copy. Probably the nicest in existence... maybe.

TR13.jpg

I would think so. It's a very tough book and the highest census copy is a 5.0.

Here's my copy. Kind of a beater, but I'm happy to have it.

Scan-140922-0001_zps43e46a31.jpg