• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,581 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Those are some tightly graded books.  They look much better than the assigned grades. 

I was thinking the same thing, CGC seems to be in a "tight" grading period right now.

Beautiful mid-graders Rick, wish I had seen 'em first! :baiting:

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I figured might as well get one more. :blush:

IMG_4488.PNG

4 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Those are some tightly graded books.  They look much better than the assigned grades. 

38 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

I was thinking the same thing, CGC seems to be in a "tight" grading period right now.

Beautiful mid-graders Rick, wish I had seen 'em first! :baiting:

When I was looking at this one on ebay I thought that could not possibly be ONLY a 5.5.  Those edges are so sharp it cut my eyes.  Is that a dent into the lower left corner?  Any idea what's bringing the grade down on this beauty?  And who is "RC"?  He/she has got good taste!!!

Since the subject of the Sixth Street collection has recently come up again, it's an ideal excuse to post this pic.  It's the only book from that collection I bought.  Expensive, at the time, but it was a book I just had to grab, with no hesitation.  In hand the colors are amazing...

PictorialRomances21_6st_a_zps6eb4fc92.jp

6 hours ago, Yorick said:

When I was looking at this one on ebay I thought that could not possibly be ONLY a 5.5.  Those edges are so sharp it cut my eyes.  Is that a dent into the lower left corner?  Any idea what's bringing the grade down on this beauty?  And who is "RC"?  He/she has got good taste!!!

I think most of these books look higher than the assigned grades. I did not sping for the grader notes but once I have them in hand I might.  It is interesting to me that these came from the same dealer who had the sixth street collection. 

Anytime I see books that look this good and get those grades makes me think there's probably a stain somewhere. CGC just kills books with stains. We will see.  

These were not cheap, but I also don't see a lot of this come around so you just gotta go for it.  It feels like if you see 4-5 nice Bakers in an entire event or signature auction you are doing well.  To see six get listed with BINs all at once, well, you can't be timid, I guess. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think most of these books look higher than the assigned grades. I did not sping for the grader notes but once I have them in hand I might.  It is interesting to me that these came from the same dealer who had the sixth street collection. 

Anytime I see books that look this good and get those grades makes me think there's probably a stain somewhere. CGC just kills books with stains. We will see.  

These were not cheap, but I also don't see a lot of this come around so you just gotta go for it.  It feels like if you see 4-5 nice Bakers in an entire event or signature auction you are doing well.  To see six get listed with BINs all at once, well, you can't be timid, I guess. 

He doesn't typically press his books, so they may be improvable if you want to go that route.

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

Since the subject of the Sixth Street collection has recently come up again, it's an ideal excuse to post this pic.  It's the only book from that collection I bought.  Expensive, at the time, but it was a book I just had to grab, with no hesitation.  In hand the colors are amazing...

That's an issue I've been passing over for way too long.  I wouldn't be surprised if I never see another with those bold colors.  That blue on the background house is waaayyyyy to rich!  CGC would probably give this a 4.5 now-a-days.

4 minutes ago, Yorick said:

That's an issue I've been passing over for way too long.  I wouldn't be surprised if I never see another with those bold colors.  That blue on the background house is waaayyyyy to rich!  CGC would probably give this a 4.5 now-a-days.

"Consistent grading"!

7 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I've always liked the look on her face. However she hoped this was going to go, she's realizing it's not looking too promising.

Nice copy, although I think on the open edge you can see traces of the coal dust that was on some of these books. hm

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

That's a beauty!

Well, the artwork certainly is. 

You know, maybe I'm just making the case that CGC actually needed to tighten the screws on their grading.  And now it's finally happening.

3 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

You know, maybe I'm just making the case that CGC actually needed to tighten the screws on their grading.  And now it's finally happening.

You're just saying that because you know my Cinderella Love #25 is over-graded and you want the top spot for yourself!! ;)

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I wouldn't say that's the worst 5.0 I've ever seen.  I'm not sure whether CGC has tightened or whether what some see as tightening is just the usual random variation in grading comics.  A book that comes back with a lower grade than we expected/hoped has more salience than a book that comes back with a higher grade.

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

9 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I wouldn't say that's the worst 5.0 I've ever seen.  I'm not sure whether CGC has tightened or whether what some see as tightening is just the usual random variation in grading comics.  A book that comes back with a lower grade than we expected/hoped has more salience than a book that comes back with a higher grade.

If I'd been smart, I would've left that DS 17 in the 5.0 slab, even though I believe it to be in a lower grade.  I'd have benefited when I eventually sell it.  But where is the satisfaction, if I don't feel it really deserves a 5.0?   

2 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

If I'd been smart, I would've left that DS 17 in the 5.0 slab, even though I believe it to be in a lower grade.  I'd have benefited when I eventually sell it.  But where is the satisfaction, if I don't feel it really deserves a 5.0?   

And by cracking it, you've had the pleasure of reading it. :)

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

3 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

And by cracking it, you've had the pleasure of reading it. :)

Precisely why I did it.