• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,592 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

When I think about how many people in this country who don't have a roof over their head or even enough to eat, I sometimes wonder about even spending $100 on a comic book. How fortunate we all are...

You're right... I know it... and brother, I try all the time not to just take that for granted... but to count my blessings... and appreciate how lucky I am. 

I'm a little surprised that we don't see more people of greater means, like Nicolas Cage, taking an interest in collecting comics.  Seems odd to me that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. 

On 5/28/2017 at 8:04 PM, 29dukedog said:

Say... I just realized- Yorick's CL 25 in CGC 7.5 is my old copy!  The first one I ever owned.  Won it (raw) on eBay in 2003.  It came up for auction on the morning of my 40th birthday, too.  A week later, I dropped a nuclear sniper bid on it, and it became my first copy of a book I'd been looking for ever since I first saw one pictured in the 1980 edition of Overstreet. 

I submitted this book to CGC in 2006, and it was returned to me, ungraded, "due to an overhang".  (The top edge of the cover extended a tiny distance beyond the top edge of the interior pages.)  I finally sold it, still raw, in 2008, after scoring the copy I have now.

So, it was graded at 7.5???  Wow, I'd always given it a cautious 6.0 in my notes.  I can hardly believe CGC thought it a higher grade than I did.  Of course, it may have been pressed before submission. 

Well... here's my original scan of Yorick's CL 25 in the raw... 

cl25_2003a.jpg

I am aware of this one's provenance as far back as your ownership (and at least one other - you've got great books!).  I do concur that 7.5 is generous, but I submitted it after seeing a "highest graded" 5.5 sell for (what I thought was ridiculous at the time) a few thousand.  I knew it could overtake the high spot at that time, and I wanted to get it graded before the price went up so much that I would be paying higher fees.  I did NOT have it pressed.  I would only do that for serious spine roll or waves.

I just wish I could pry that beautiful #27 out of your hands!  I probably couldn't afford it now...

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

When I think about how many people in this country who don't have a roof over their head or even enough to eat, I sometimes wonder about even spending $100 on a comic book. How fortunate we all are...

Living the dream!!!  Most can only do the dreaming...

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Ho!  Speaking of which, have we (the royal we, not you and me) passed the 10K barrier on a single romance comic?  Meaning GCE 12, Daring Love 1, or Negro Romance 4 I guess

What are the top 5-10 sales of romance comics that you romance experts can think of?

52 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I am aware of this one's provenance as far back as your ownership (and at least one other - you've got great books!).  I do concur that 7.5 is generous, but I submitted it after seeing a "highest graded" 5.5 sell for (what I thought was ridiculous at the time) a few thousand.  I knew it could overtake the high spot at that time, and I wanted to get it graded before the price went up so much that I would be paying higher fees.  I did NOT have it pressed.  I would only do that for serious spine roll or waves.

I just wish I could pry that beautiful #27 out of your hands!  I probably couldn't afford it now...

I'm slightly amazed CGC encapsulated the book at all, after I'd tried and had it rejected.  They put it in the same style holder they were using when I subbed it.  Whatever the concern was re: that "overhang", and the possible damage it might suffer if encapsulated, this was a concern in my case, but not in yours.  Wonder why? 

My current copy happens to have an "overhang" too, in virtually the same degree as your copy did, and so I'm apprehensive about submitting it.  Would history repeat itself?  Also, would the design of the new holder help or hurt my chances?

Like I said, calling it 6.0 was me being very cautious.  I knew I'd submit it at some point, and I didn't want to set myself up for too much disappointment.  (But, worse than a low grade; no grade at all.)

I'm floored it eventually got a 7.5.  (thumbsu   (Don't ever break it out.)  

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

lol  I think Rick would spend more on Superhero comics if, let's say Batman, were a little more bodacious.

Catwoman is calling my name hm

The DC gal for me would be an Yvonne Craig-shaped Batgirl...  :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Moneys one thing - naming your son Kal-El, now that's a fanboy

Wasn't he burnt out with collecting after his Action #1 was stolen?  That might end my collecting career too.

This has a Baker cover, so naturally it's going to get swept along in the furor... but it's not considered a key... not coveted like TLP 11, for example... and typically doesn't set any price records.  But, it gets the love it deserves from me, at least.  rm24_zps811999ee.jpg

Just now, 29dukedog said:

This has a Baker cover, so naturally it's going to get swept along in the furor... but it's not considered a key... not coveted like TLP 11, for example... and typically doesn't set any price records.  But, it gets the love it deserves from me, at least.  rm24_zps811999ee.jpg

Is yours a guilty love? hm

7 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not at all.  I speak its name loudly and proudly.

As well you should! :)

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

9 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:
11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not at all.  I speak its name loudly and proudly.

As well you should! :)

Love, thy name is- a Baker babe!

Looking at the cover again, is the perspective off a bit?  The spindles in the banister on the steps they're on seem large; the ones in the upper right-hand corner seem huge. hm

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Looking at the cover again, is the perspective off a bit?  The spindles in the banister on the steps they're on seem large; the ones in the upper right-hand corner seem huge. hm

Yeah, it looks like the upper flight of stairs is closer to the eye than the lower flight, which is logically closer. Everything else about the background, the perspective is spot on.  (Maybe forced, just a bit- for effect.  But we don't mind that!)