• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,509 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, 29dukedog said:

Then, I guess the question becomes, "How long will it take to finally arrive at a set of definitive standards that need no further revision?"  Or, will grading standards always be evolving, and never become definitive?

Even if standards became fixed, the interpretation of those standards as they apply to a given book and in what degree, especially when considering other attributes and defects, will always allow for some variance. There is not now, nor will there ever be an absolute grade for any comic.

42 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don't know if you guys have noticed but it seems like there has been a dry spell of Baker St John books available the last couple weeks. Not a lot of books coming to market right now. (shrug)

I was just thinking the same thing, Rick - an interesting lull. hm

Just now, sacentaur said:
44 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don't know if you guys have noticed but it seems like there has been a dry spell of Baker St John books available the last couple weeks. Not a lot of books coming to market right now. (shrug)

I was just thinking the same thing, Rick - an interesting lull. hm

You two bought them all! :baiting:

au contraire mon ami

6 choice books in the upcoming future, something for everyone

TAR 1 4.5 affordable - TAR 16 6.5 2nd highest - TAR 21 6.5 highest - TLP 2 4.5 (B1) affordable - Cinderella Love 15 2.5 affordable

and a big book, Romantic Marriage 24 6.5 2nd highest

that lineup doesn't make your Baker hearts go pitter pat? :baiting:

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

au contraire mon ami

TAR 1 4.5 affordable - TAR 16 6.5 2nd highest - TAR 21 6.5 highest - TLP 2 4.5 (B1) affordable - Cinderella Love 15 2.5 affordable

I have to wait over a month to have any of those though. :ohnoez:

On second thought, never mind, forget this discussion entirely.  Just note the books above as the only Bakers available. 

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

13 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

au contraire mon ami

Great consignment there, Dr. L! :)

12 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have to wait over a month to have any of those though. :ohnoez:

On second thought, never mind, forget this discussion entirely.  Just note the books above as the only Bakers available. 

Ah, ha!  Hiding something, are we?? hm

4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Congrats on super high grade 9.8 with the uber PQ!  Nicely presented in the spacious magazine holder.  The spine looks great too.

Thank you DL.  I specifically mentioned the Baker illustrations for the label but they disregarded it

10 hours ago, archiefan said:

Quite happy with this one just back from FL. Highest and ONLY graded copy

IMG_6228.thumb.JPG.f86cfb2cd6555cb59e6a2a69025a2e6e.JPG

Holy mackerel!  For a random eBay copy to come back as a 9.8 White is like hitting a grand slam, getting back to home plate, calling for another pitch, and hitting that one out of the park, too. 

2 hours ago, archiefan said:
6 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Congrats on super high grade 9.8 with the uber PQ!  Nicely presented in the spacious magazine holder.  The spine looks great too.

Thank you DL.  I specifically mentioned the Baker illustrations for the label but they disregarded it

Did you try to talk them around on it?  I've managed to do that, although this could be a tough one.  I'm not sure they'd accept documentation like The Art of Glamor checklist.  Could be worth a try, though. 

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Holy mackerel!  For a random eBay copy to come back as a 9.8 White is like hitting a grand slam, getting back to home plate, calling for another pitch, and hitting that one out of the park, too. 

Thanks Tony...Yes I was very lucky on that one

Just now, Sqeggs said:

Did you try to talk them around on it?  I've managed to do that, although this could be a tough one.  I'm not sure they'd accept documentation like The Art of Glamor checklist.  Could be worth a try, though. 

I mentioned it on the online form...but didn't pursue it further.  I'm not sure if it is a separate group of graders for the magazines and maybe Baker is not on their radar 

Just now, archiefan said:
2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I mentioned it on the online form...but didn't pursue it further.  I'm not sure if it is a separate group of graders for the magazines and maybe Baker is not on their radar 

The magazine graders do seem willing to make label notations.  I think there are several variant versions of Playboy 1 with label notations.  But I think you are right that they aren't on the lookout for Baker in a book like this and probably had no easy way to verify your claim.