• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,902 posts in this topic

As an addendum to the discussion on natural grading variances...  

It's never any single example that proves anything; it's the overall direction of the tide, whenever there's a consensus that it seems to be changing.  Currently, if CGC is in fact observing a policy of tighter grading across the board, I for one am glad to see it.  I just hope they don't over compensate too far in that direction, in a knee jerk reaction to a perceived period of "loose" grading.  That's no good, either. 

CGC:  Nail down those standards once and for all, and then stick to them as consistently as possible.  

Everyone else:  Learn to accept there will always be at least some small degree of natural grading variance.  (And don't take it personally when it happens!)  2c 

Edited by 29dukedog
correction

1 hour ago, comicnoir said:

When it comes to books like St. John's, dealers price and ppl pay according to eye appeal. That WR 18 I bought looked way better than 5.0, so I bit.

I concur. Those five books I just bought had pretty great eye appeal and I think I paid pretty full value on them. Definitely not quick flip purchases but rather books that had that little extra something to make me pull the trigger.  I can't believe I am getting this deep into romance books.  It was the one thing I said I was going to stay away from when I got back into this 4 years ago or so.  :eyeroll:

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I can't believe I am getting this deep into romance books.  It was the one thing I said I was going to stay away from when I got back into this 4 years ago or so.  :eyeroll:

turned to the dark side

the love that dare not speak its name 

let your freak flag fly

but whatever you do...hold the line...NO PHOTO COVERS...EVER.  A man has to have some self respect!   :devil:

The great thing about St. John romance is that, for all we talk about scarcity, compared to the other romance publishers, Bakers were always at the top of the romance hierarchy and were more available than other books.  The 4 major titles total 105 issues and with a time horizon of 5 years or so and if lower grade is not a factor could be put together for, I don't know, 100K?  more or less.  That's pretty cool.

fixed that 10K number! lol

Edited by Dr. Love
out of touch with reality

9 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

The great thing about St. John romance is that, for all we talk about scarcity, compared to the other romance publishers, Bakers were always at the top of the romance hierarchy and were more available than other books.  The 4 major titles total 105 issues and with a time horizon of 5 years or so and if lower grade is not a factor could be put together for, I don't know, 10K?  more or less.  That's pretty cool.

I think I have about 14 of those issues and have $10k in it, more or less. lol 

I wish I was joking :p

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think I have about 14 of those issues and have $10k in it, more or less. lol 

I wish I was joking :p

I'd love to work out the math and determine how much I've put into my Bakers, vs. their current FMV.  I'm sure it'd be very rewarding.  B|

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

2 hours ago, 29dukedog said:

I'd love to work out the math and determine how much I've put into my Bakers, vs. their current FMV.  I'm sure it'd be very rewarding.  B|

Let's work that math out together shall we?:baiting:

Perhaps via PM.  I've got too much modesty to post those figures in public.  (But evidently, not too much to avoid boasting in the first place...) 

Edited by 29dukedog
correction

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

there's a Romantic Marriage 24 6.5 going off in CL in a couple days - surprised to see it at $600, or course it won't end there - but still

I'm already surprised, too.  Great, great cover imo, but I've noticed that my opinion seems to be in the minority.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Ho!  Speaking of which, have we (the royal we, not you and me) passed the 10K barrier on a single romance comic?  Meaning GCE 12, Daring Love 1, or Negro Romance 4 I guess

(shrug)

1 minute ago, Dr. Love said:

Ho!  Speaking of which, have we (the royal we, not you and me) passed the 10K barrier on a single romance comic?  Meaning GCE 12, Daring Love 1, or Negro Romance 4 I guess

I don't think so, unless I'm forgetting one.  The CLink sale of a GCE 12 (7.0?) I think may be the highest price (at least in a public sale), but I'd have to look up what the result was; well below $10K I think. The NR 4 7.0 went for $6.5K.

15 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You guys are seriously talking about spending $10K on romance comics?! :screwy:

When I think about how many people in this country who don't have a roof over their head or even enough to eat, I sometimes wonder about even spending $100 on a comic book. How fortunate we all are...