• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,400 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I picked up a few Bakers from Harley at WW Philly this week.  More in my journal, if interested. (you have to scroll down the page).  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/312873-n2wdws-comic-book-room/?page=43

5932d338b29b2_PhotoScan(49).jpg.f3ca015524f418fb2b1b8e820a63b8d6.jpg

Nice pickup.  The GA pickings seem pretty lean at WW Philly these days.  I wasn't motivated to go.  Glad you could find some books. 

On 6/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, 29dukedog said:

How about another one that usually flies under the radar... TR 44 has a real funky, '50's "mod" look about it.  Or, is it just me?  I've never seen a nice copy of this one, either. Four copies in the census with the highest being a 4.5. tar44_zps5frxwaep.jpg

Too many of these have VERY dark blues on the main woman's dress and you just can't see the line work.  I like this copy a lot in that it is very light.  Sqeggs copy, in the other hand, has that really awesome looking fade on the title logo (besides being the current highest).

I've put down ridiculous bids on every copy of this one I see.  I believe its one of the top five toughest TAR issues.  I was able to get the 45 before I found one of these.

6 hours ago, n2wdw said:

I picked up a few Bakers from Harley at WW Philly this week.  More in my journal, if interested. (you have to scroll down the page).  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/312873-n2wdws-comic-book-room/?page=43

5932d338b29b2_PhotoScan(49).jpg.f3ca015524f418fb2b1b8e820a63b8d6.jpg

Good score!  I've always liked this one quite a bit.

I typically like to be selfish and keep things for my private viewing pleasure, but you Baker fans are sharing really wonderful stuff...

This is quite interesting.  Guess who's name is under the white-out?  Yep - it's him!  I think what happened is that he was falling behind schedule and needed Thornton to finish the Sunday.  With the extra help, they chose to white out Baker's name on the by-line rather than adding another name and run out of space.  Flamingo here in the first panel is 100% Baker.  I see hints of Baker in the following panels, but more Thornton than Baker.  Probably Baker pencils and Thornton inks.

I can't believe that HA didn't put this on a lightboard to see what was under the white-out.  I would guess that there would have been more interest in this if they had noted it.

Flamingo Sunday - Matt Baker CROP.jpg

3 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I typically like to be selfish and keep things for my private viewing pleasure, but you Baker fans are sharing really wonderful stuff...

This is quite interesting.  Guess who's name is under the white-out?  Yep - it's him!  I think what happened is that he was falling behind schedule and needed Thornton to finish the Sunday.  With the extra help, they chose to white out Baker's name on the by-line rather than adding another name and run out of space.  Flamingo here in the first panel is 100% Baker.  I see hints of Baker in the following panels, but more Thornton than Baker.  Probably Baker pencils and Thornton inks.

I can't believe that HA didn't put this on a lightboard to see what was under the white-out.  I would guess that there would have been more interest in this if they had noted it.

Way cool!  (thumbsu

35 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Nice.  I saw HA's listings for those in their Sunday auctions.  Thornton and Baker were clearly trying to achieve a similar style.  

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Nice.  I saw HA's listings for those in their Sunday auctions.  Thornton and Baker were clearly trying to achieve a similar style.  

Thorton was trying to achieve Baker's style.

Just now, ThothAmon said:
4 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I...just...can't...stop. 

Here is another new one. Always liked this one.  

IMG_4693.PNG

Man that big brother means business.

He would really have been bummed if there had been smartphones then. :)

5 minutes ago, Ltpink2002 said:

Two recently graded book:

AuthenticPoliceCase006.jpg

Teen-AgeRomances042.jpg

Mr. Baker is on fire right now. Nice copies and a classic cover to boot! I've got a Baker that should be in my mailbox tomorrow. Not Romance though :sorry: