• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

You're a herpetologist, too? Cool. I currently have an adult pair of Striped Mud turtles! Raised them from hatchlings.

Yes, a herpetologist and author with 4 snake books under my belt. I took 160 photos of Western Pond Turtles while in CA a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=brian+hubbs

330s84i.jpg

Awesome photo! So you really are a herpetologist. My favorite turtle genus has always been Clemmys (now Glyptemys). I've raised Wood and Spotted, but never had the chance to acquire a Western Pond hatchling.

Now if somebody can just locate a Baker drawing of a turtle ...

Quote:

"I wonder if the snakes finally got him? :insane: "

No, but I've seen a lot of them this year. This is also herping season...and that takes up a lot of my time too...however, fun friends, on the bright side, I did pick up 14 old Jimmy Olsen's and Lois Lane's (including a VG #5) for only $115. WOW...

So, when you see me disappear for long periods, you will know I am out having fun or workin'... hm

You're a herpetologist, too? Cool. I currently have an adult pair of Striped Mud turtles! Raised them from hatchlings.

Yes, a herpetologist and author with 4 snake books under my belt. I took 160 photos of Western Pond Turtles while in CA a week ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=brian+hubbs

330s84i.jpg

Awesome photo! So you really are a herpetologist. My favorite turtle genus has always been Clemmys (now Glyptemys). I've raised Wood and Spotted, but never had the chance to acquire a Western Pond hatchling.

Now if somebody can just locate a Baker drawing of a turtle ...

I'll try to find one! (thumbs u

The Art of Glamour book reproduces a number of pages of Baker OA, but as far as I can see, his St John work is represented by just a single page from TAR 17.

Some of the art reproduced is held by the Baker family. I suppose it might be possible to approach them as to whether they know whether more of his St John OA has survived.

The family has some wondrous original art work mainly from the men's magazine illustrations, which are amazing in themselves. From what I understand, they've shown basically most of the artwork they have. I'm betting a lot of the artwork was destroyed in some kind of flood or housing accident in St. John's son's house. I read this many years ago so I could be mistaken. But, I'm thinking he might be a good source of information.

St. John's son should have a wealth of information, but considering the circumstances of his father's death, he may have conflicting emotions about his father's work. I expected to see an interview with him in The Art of Glamour, but apparently he contributed so little to the project that he didn't even rate being named in the list of those who were thanked on page 34.

It's possible that he and his mother saw the business as the thing that took the family patriarch from them and eventually wanted no reminders from that period. They certainly did turf the family business. There's a quote somewhere in which Matt Baker complains that he didn't understand why they let him go, because he didn't even know Archer had a girlfriend on the side.

Had the St. John family saved and preserved materials from St. John Publications, they would be sitting on a platinum mine today.

In auction news...

The 6th St TAT #9 8.5 White goes from a lexcorp bin of $1175, held for 6 months, and sold at a loss in CL for $920. Subtract the commission and that leaves the seller with a 30% hit. hm

Has the overall run-up paused to consolidate? Flipping Bakers for fun and profit? Don't try this at home, kids. Gotta know your stuff, and even then...of course, if your entry point is low, it's all good.

and oh yes the TAR #32 5.0. That's a really great presenting 5.0 - and to the winner, whoever you are and I have my suspicions, if you didn't request a bc scan, don't worry - you won't be disappointed. And a decent price for the seller (who is not me btw), about $600 net, yeh? Not a world record, but not too shabby at all.

In auction news...

The 6th St TAT #9 8.5 White goes from a lexcorp bin of $1175, held for 6 months, and sold at a loss in CL for $920. Subtract the commission and that leaves the seller with a 30% hit. hm

Has the overall run-up paused to consolidate? Flipping Bakers for fun and profit? Don't try this at home, kids. Gotta know your stuff, and even then...of course, if your entry point is low, it's all good.

and oh yes the TAR #32 5.0. That's a really great presenting 5.0 - and to the winner, whoever you are and I have my suspicions, if you didn't request a bc scan, don't worry - you won't be disappointed. And a decent price for the seller (who is not me btw), about $600 net, yeh? Not a world record, but not too shabby at all.

Ya know, Andy- sometimes you can be a real sarcastic, smart-azz wiseguy.

Unfortunately, none of that stops you from being absolutely, 100% right.

You can take the boy out of New York but...well, I don't know if I can explain it to a Mid-Western Scandinavian type. :baiting:

Of course, maybe it wasn't a flip. Good candidate but hard to squeek out a nice profit with a 5.0 at that level. Maybe it was a new book calling, the seller deciding to eat $300, move on, and well able to afford it. Better that than a hard luck sale. Hope that wasn't the case.

In auction news...

Speaking of lexcorp, what happened to them? As I'm sure many of you noticed, a couple of months ago they ceased eBay activity in the middle of active auctions and several bin's.

Searching under their seller name lexcorp shows no listings. However, I have several on a watch list which were apparently set up for auto-renewal, and they have a heading that says, "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time."

It seems quite strange, considering they were making big bank and getting a lot of attention. Based on the statements in some of their listings, we have only seen the tip of their 6th Street iceberg.

I am leery of bidding on any Baker book advertised as the "highest graded" until all of the 6th Street books have been graded. One of those books could drop an expensive investment to a distant "second-best graded" in a heartbeat.

In auction news...

re: TAT #9 sold at a loss. You can't lose something you never had. His bins were opium induced. It might have fared better at CC. With their extended bidding they can really drive the price up. I should know. Still very strong prices .

In auction news...

re: TAT #9 sold at a loss. You can't lose something you never had. His bins were opium induced. It might have fared better at CC. With their extended bidding they can really drive the price up. I should know. Still very strong prices .

Maybe I'm a little sleepy right now, but wasn't the TAT #9 8.5 White one of the Lexcorp books that actually did sell on eBay? That would mean it was that particular buyer who's the one who took a loss. hm Or did I just make the same point you were making? (I'm tired...)

In auction news...

Maybe I'm a little sleepy right now, but wasn't the TAT #9 8.5 White one of the Lexcorp books that actually did sell on eBay? That would mean it was that particular buyer who's the one who took a loss. hm Or did I just make the same point you were making? (I'm tired...)

My mistake. Of course Dr. Love was referring to a sale that was made and held for 6 months. In which case it was a loss. I was thinking Lexcorp was bringing his unsold Bakers to auction. Bad mistake to try and flip one of those books.

In auction news...

My mistake. Of course Dr. Love was referring to a sale that was made and held for 6 months. In which case it was a loss. I was thinking Lexcorp was bringing his unsold Bakers to auction. Bad mistake to try and flip one of those books.

Got it. Thanks, now I can go to bed. (thumbs u

The same seller has 17 books at $2000 each with no description at all. Title, photo or anything.

They will accept offers though.

Here's what I don't get: 8.5 copy... 5th highest graded (is that correct info???)... and I still haven't been able to acquire a decent VG copy??? How is that possible?

The same seller has 17 books at $2000 each with no description at all. Title, photo or anything.

Here's what I don't get: 8.5 copy... 5th highest graded (is that correct info???)... and I still haven't been able to acquire a decent VG copy??? How is that possible?

Yep. Census says a 9.2, 3 9.0s, and this lone 8.5.

He's right about there not being many recent sales. There was that sale of a 3.0 for $1,500 a few months ago. Of course, I bought mine -- probably at least a 4.0 -- not that long ago on eBay for $350. Sorry, but I can't help bringing that up again. :D

Yeah, I guess he's gotten ahead of himself. Clearly swiped a scan of a Good copy from somewhere for this auction.

But why do that? What's the hurry? If you actually have the books and it's all legit, you are only hurting yourself with these kinds of weird listings.

Yep. Census says a 9.2, 3 9.0s, and this lone 8.5.

He's right about there not being many recent sales. There was that sale of a 3.0 for $1,500 a few months ago. Of course, I bought mine -- probably at least a 4.0 -- not that long ago on eBay for $350. Sorry, but I can't help bringing that up again. :D

:frustrated:

He had the same book on sale at Chicago Wizard World 2 years ago for $10K. The price has gone up. If you wait too long, it'll be 14.

Yeah, I'm afraid a price tag like that far exceeds my desire for this particular book. Just give me a respectable VG copy for about $350.

:whistle: