• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,346 posts in this topic

With respect to Bruce Gentry 5, here's the cover (lifted from GCD). Not sure whether Metro is claiming this cover is Baker (possible, in my view) or whether some of the interior art is by him.

Any thoughts?

211323_zpscd945e60.jpg

I dunno... the cover looks kinda Kamenish, to me. :whistle:

It could be another Iger Shop jam session, in which case Baker may have contributed. But which elements did he contribute, your guess is as good as the next guy's...

(Cue next guy)

Batter! Batter! Batter!

Does the treatment of water compare with Seven Seas #5 - anyone?

The girl's profile is faintly baker-ish, the guy's not IMHO.

But I love the cover - due respect, what difference who it's by?

What?! I'm speechless ... partly because I'm not sure I have a good answer. hm

Oh, yeah, now I remember. Figuring out artist attributions is one of the fun things we spend waaay too much time on! :D

lol I agree - and I wasnt meaning to sound snarky.

If it's Baker, more than likely the composition is a one off, and the key elements are perfectly positioned. Kamen is more awkward with his compositions, Webb less graceful with his figures.

With respect to Bruce Gentry 5, here's the cover (lifted from GCD). Not sure whether Metro is claiming this cover is Baker (possible, in my view) or whether some of the interior art is by him.

Any thoughts?

211323_zpscd945e60.jpg

I dunno... the cover looks kinda Kamenish, to me. :whistle:

It could be another Iger Shop jam session, in which case Baker may have contributed. But which elements did he contribute, your guess is as good as the next guy's...

(Cue next guy)

Batter! Batter! Batter!

Does the treatment of water compare with Seven Seas #5 - anyone?

The girl's profile is faintly baker-ish, the guy's not IMHO.

But I love the cover - due respect, what difference who it's by?

What?! I'm speechless ... partly because I'm not sure I have a good answer. hm

Oh, yeah, now I remember. Figuring out artist attributions is one of the fun things we spend waaay too much time on! :D

lol I agree - and I wasnt meaning to sound snarky.

If it's Baker, more than likely the composition is a one off, and the key elements are perfectly positioned. Kamen is more awkward with his compositions, Webb less graceful with his figures.

Michael,

You are a scholar and a gentleman and, as such, incapable of snark! :foryou:

Here are a couple of Baker pages from True Secrets #34 (Atlas, 1956). The art is too good to have been inked by Colletta. I'm wondering if anyone would care to speculate as to who might have actually done the inking?

TrueSecrets34_BakerSplash_zpsd4bfc024.jpg

Here are a couple of Baker pages from True Secrets #34 (Atlas, 1956). The art is too good to have been inked by Colletta. I'm wondering if anyone would care to speculate as to who might have actually done the inking?

TrueSecrets34_BakerSplash_zpsd4bfc024.jpg

I wonder if he did it himself? I think at that point his health was still ok, but he was having trouble finding jobs. Maybe some extra bucks from inking his own pencils would have been worth his while. hm

I wonder if he did it himself? I think at that point his health was still ok, but he was having trouble finding jobs. Maybe some extra bucks from inking his own pencils would have been worth his while. hm

That would be my guess, too. It's only a five page story- not a major task. We know for a fact that Baker did ink some of his own Atlas western stories. So, why not some of his romance stories, too?

Depending on the inker, Baker's Atlas romance stories are either really good, or really not-so-great. Very few are middle of the road. The not-so-great ones are usually those inked by Colletta, who tended to make everything he inked look like his own work.

Looks like Baker-inking-Baker to me, much in the style of his last few Teen-Age Romances covers. If it's not Baker on the inks, it is certainly someone who respected the pencils and faithfully enhanced his work.

The inker knocked over his bottle? (shrug)

It could be either of your suggestions, actually. Given Baker usually worked off of crib sheets from magazines, all you have to do is track down the original photo and compare it! :D

Got to get Mr. B. back on the first page. :sumo:

Finally picked up one of these thanks to a tip from a boardie. :foryou:

Not in the greatest of condition, but one of my favorite covers (love her expression :D ).

73beaf0d-4ccd-4c6b-b342-671a06b89d03_zps78a68f93.jpg

:roflmao:

That's not even a Baker cover. That was done by Waldo McGurk, a famous Baker impersonator... :juggle: Note the long fingers...that was Waldo's trademark. When I spoke to him before his death in 1998 ( from malaria he caught on an African trip to peddle his Baker knockoffs) he told me his greatest accomplishment was drawing 325 covers that were later attributed to Baker. Those are worthless...I feel sorry for the owner of that book. :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

:roflmao:

That's not even a Baker cover. That was done by Waldo McGurk, a famous Baker impersonator... :juggle:

Who also signed his covers "Matt Baker." Crafty devil!

Someone seems a tad optimistic: APC 6 auction

Yes, a copy of Authentic Police Cases #6, CGC graded at 8.0 with Cream to Off-White pages...

... and it will cost you one billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion dollars!

148379.jpg.1bf3afa4d41b618cdac2b3fcb948790d.jpg