• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,326 posts in this topic

He had the same book on sale at Chicago Wizard World 2 years ago for $10K. The price has gone up. If you wait too long, it'll be 14.

Yeah, I'm afraid a price tag like that far exceeds my desire for this particular book. Just give me a respectable VG copy for about $350.

:whistle:

I just checked and I bought that one waaaay back in October 2013. Can't expect prices that low these days! :D

He had the same book on sale at Chicago Wizard World 2 years ago for $10K. The price has gone up. If you wait too long, it'll be 14.

Yeah, I'm afraid a price tag like that far exceeds my desire for this particular book. Just give me a respectable VG copy for about $350.

I just checked and I bought that one waaaay back in October 2013. Can't expect prices that low these days! :D

Yep, you sure got lucky, my friend. I seem to recall you once said that was a BIN you just happened to find on eBay shortly after seeing another copy sell some place else, am I right?

eBay BIN's can be extremely lucky finds, on occasion. I've had a few of those, too. I hope to duplicate your experience, one day!

Yep, you sure got lucky, my friend. I seem to recall you once said that was a BIN you just happened to find on eBay shortly after seeing another copy sell some place else, am I right?

eBay BIN's can be extremely lucky finds, on occasion. I've had a few of those, too. I hope to duplicate your experience, one day!

Actually, someone posted a copy in this thread, which inspired me to look around to see if I could find a copy for sale. I happened on an eBay BIN and immediately hit it.

Don't know how long it had been sitting there, but I imagine not very long. With Bakers, you never know, though.

The GCE 12 that sold on Sparkle a number of months back is in the current CC auction. Anyone remember the price it sold for back then?

$2,577 last March.

At the time that struck me as very high. I wouldn't be shocked if it went for less this time around. But I also wouldn't be shocked if it went for considerably more! :D

The same seller has 17 books at $2000 each with no description at all. Title, photo or anything.

They will accept offers though.

Yeah, I guess he's gotten ahead of himself. Clearly swiped a scan of a Good copy from somewhere for this auction.

But why do that? What's the hurry? If you actually have the books and it's all legit, you are only hurting yourself with these kinds of weird listings.

He now has a scan of the actual book in the listing. Wow, what a beauty. Still a little out of my price range, though.

Ok, so I did a straight resub (no press) on four low-grade PGX Bakers:

TAR 19 4.0 (Loose cover) CR

TAR 33 4.0 CR-OW

TAR 38 4.0 CR-OW

TAT 3 4.0 White

And the CGC grades are ...

TAR 19 3.0 (Cover detached) CR-OW

TAR 33 2.5 OW

TAR 38 2.5 OW

TAT 3 4.0 OW-W

Seem to remember a couple of people offering the opinion in another thread that PGX tends to be too lenient at the top and too tough at the bottom. This little sample would indicate that they are too lenient at the bottom as well, although maybe a little tough on PQ.

TAR 33 4.0 CR-OW

TAR 38 4.0 CR-OW

TAT 3 4.0 White

TAR 33 2.5 OW

TAR 38 2.5 OW

TAT 3 4.0 OW-W

Seem to remember a couple of people offering the opinion in another thread that PGX tends to be too lenient at the top and too tough at the bottom. This little sample would indicate that they are too lenient at the bottom as well, although maybe a little tough on PQ.

That's too bad on the grades. At least they didn't come back plods.

I got lucky with my only experience with PGX. I sent in a Weird Mysteries #4 (PGX 5.0 off-white to white) that came back from CGC the same grade and pq.

TAR 33 4.0 CR-OW

TAR 38 4.0 CR-OW

TAT 3 4.0 White

TAR 33 2.5 OW

TAR 38 2.5 OW

TAT 3 4.0 OW-W

That's too bad on the grades. At least they didn't come back plods.

I got lucky with my only experience with PGX. I sent in a Weird Mysteries #4 (PGX 5.0 off-white to white) that came back from CGC the same grade and pq.

Yeah, I knew I was rolling the dice and PLODs were a real possibility. They are relatively tough books and the price was right, so I'm ok with the outcome.

Interesting experiment. All PGX 4.0's... only one comes back from CGC with the same grade (TAT 3). Well, it proves what I've believed a long time- PGX grading is too lenient, period. Across all grades. It's mildly amazing that CGC didn't catch any restoration that PGX missed, in at least one of those books. I've heard horror stories about PGX overlooking all kinds of things, including missing pages.

Very interesting. I'd give PGX a pass on the 1st one though. I mean, I'd really hope that they could tell the difference between a loose and detached cover. Things sometimes happen inside slabs and the cover could have gotten detached between gradings.

I've only got 1 PGX book, a Power Comics #1 4.0, and I'll remain ignorant of what CGC may grade it. If I remove it, it'll be to put in a nice shiny mylar for my own enjoyment! :)

Edited by pmpknface

I'm not sure about the terminology on the "loose cover." I thought that it was PGX's way of indicating the cover was detached. My understanding is that 3.0 is the max CGC grade for a detached cover, so I didn't think the 4.0 grade on that one would hold up.

I've cracked out PGX and found things that were not in keeping with the grade assigned, too lenient (never resubbed to CGC).

However the classic "case" that I've posted before, is my Brenda Starr 14 PGX 6.0. Cracked out and submitted to CGC, it came back 7.0. Kissed the case when I picked it up at my LCS. Latest Cc auction of an 8.0 realized $16,866.00. I won my copy years ago on ebay for $450.00.

I've cracked out PGX and found things that were not in keeping with the grade assigned, too lenient (never resubbed to CGC).

However the classic "case" that I've posted before, is my Brenda Starr 14 PGX 6.0. Cracked out and submitted to CGC, it came back 7.0. Kissed the case when I picked it up at my LCS. Latest Cc auction of an 8.0 realized $16,866.00. I won my copy years ago on ebay for $450.00.

Don't ya just love it? A smart, patient, and dedicated comic book enthusiast could get rich off this hobby!

The GCE 12 that sold on Sparkle a number of months back is in the current CC auction. Anyone remember the price it sold for back then?

$2,577 last March.

At the time that struck me as very high. I wouldn't be shocked if it went for less this time around. But I also wouldn't be shocked if it went for considerably more! :D

Well, it should go for more...after all, it's part of the Toronto Riverdale Collection!

$2,577 last March.

Well, it should go for more...after all, it's part of the Toronto Riverdale Collection!

What the heck is that all about? Are dealers now trying to call "collections" books that somebody bought as recently as last year? In that case, isn't every group of books a dealer buys from a collector a "collection"?