• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,345 posts in this topic

So, getting back to the world of Baker...There are several G copies of Teen-age Romances and other titles on eBay for $200 Buy it Now prices. These have been on there for months and are not selling. Are the sellers just waiting for a sucker and don't want to lower the prices to reality? Obviously they see that nobody is going to pay that much for issues in that shape, no matter how scarce they might be.

So, getting back to the world of Baker...There are several G copies of Teen-age Romances and other titles on eBay for $200 Buy it Now prices. These have been on there for months and are not selling. Are the sellers just waiting for a sucker and don't want to lower the prices to reality? Obviously they see that nobody is going to pay that much for issues in that shape, no matter how scarce they might be.

It's been so long since I've sold on eBay I don't know if you get charged for relisting an unsold book. There certainly are a bunch of books that keep getting relisted over and over and over. The equivalent, I guess, of books that sit on the wall of an LCS for years. (shrug)

So...my question is...why don't they lower the prices and see if anyone bites? Are they just stoopid...or lazy?

They are patiently waiting for someone who is impatient and wealthy.

So...my question is...why don't they lower the prices and see if anyone bites? Are they just stoopid...or lazy?

Well, that and I think some sellers can't bear the thought that they parted with a book for $150 that somewhere, sometime, somehow they could have sold for $200.

Well, that and I think some sellers can't bear the thought that they parted with a book for $150 that somewhere, sometime, somehow they could have sold for $200.

Homer Simpson: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know!"

Mr. Burns: "Yes, but I'd trade it all... for a little more."

I want to order one of the Baker Canteen Kate reprint books. Any recommendations on what one is better between the Canton Street Press version or the one from Picture This Press (Lost Art...)?

They both came out within 2 months of each other.

I want to order one of the Baker Canteen Kate reprint books. Any recommendations on what one is better between the Canton Street Press version or the one from Picture This Press (Lost Art...)?

I have the Lost Art of Matt Baker book and I think it is well done. I'm not sure of the technical details of how the art was reproduced, beyond what they mention in a brief Editor's Note, but they appear to have scanned pages from the comics and then cleaned them up a bit.

I think the result looks good and is much closer to reading the original comics than is the case with most reprint volumes. Here and there the color registration is a bit off -- almost always a problem with St. John comics. I don't have the other book, so I can't really compare them, but I think it would be hard to go wrong with this one. Very reasonable price of $20 on Amazon when I bought it.

I have the Lost Art of Matt Baker book and I think it is well done. I'm not sure of the technical details of how the art was reproduced, beyond what they mention in a brief Editor's Note, but they appear to have scanned pages from the comics and then cleaned them up a bit.

I think the result looks good and is much closer to reading the original comics than is the case with most reprint volumes. Here and there the color registration is a bit off -- almost always a problem with St. John comics. I don't have the other book, so I can't really compare them, but I think it would be hard to go wrong with this one. Very reasonable price of $20 on Amazon when I bought it.

Thanks, Sqeggs. That's good enough for me. I like the reprints that resemble the original comic.

The madness has started again with a CL 25 on fleabay. This book has only been listed one day...:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-25-Dec-1954-Fine-Beautiful-Matt-Baker-Cover-No-Reserve-/231276732879?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d92ae1cf

and Mr. Dukedog...TAR #42 for $725 BIN? Really? Does that make my VF- copy worth $2,000? :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

The madness has started again with a CL 25 on fleabay. This book has only been listed one day...:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cinderella-Love-25-Dec-1954-Fine-Beautiful-Matt-Baker-Cover-No-Reserve-/231276732879?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35d92ae1cf

and Mr. Dukedog...TAR #42 for $725 BIN? Really? Does that make my VF- copy worth $2,000? :o

Predictions on the CL 25? I'll say it closes at $750. I really wonder what CGC will make of those pieces missing from interior pages. Possible they are production related? hm

well, after 1 out of 5 days it's already at $402, so I'll raise your $750 and say that somebody pays $900 for it. And I feel very conservative right now about that guess...this is MADNESS!!!!! Of course, I own one...so I feel pretty good now about my little old $37 copy...Bwahahaha...

well, after 1 out of 5 days it's already at $402, so I'll raise your $750 and say that somebody pays $900 for it. And I feel very conservative right now about that guess...this is MADNESS!!!!! Of course, I own one...so I feel pretty good now about my little old $37 copy...Bwahahaha...

I think it's going to depend on how much people think CGC will hammer the grade because of those missing pieces. That the seller didn't have it graded might be an indication of his opinion.

I think it's going to depend on how much people think CGC will hammer the grade because of those missing pieces. That the seller didn't have it graded might be an indication of his opinion.

I think I sold you my 3.5 CGC copy. I am highly considering throwing a high bid and taking this one home.

2962696925_95951a50d1_o.jpg

I guess this recreation by Acerno is also worth a few bucks. I think some of the others by Baker are just as good but this one seems like a lot of work to reconstruct.

Just a quick plug for our book at Canton Street Press. Our Canteen Kate book is nomiated for an Eisner this year (fingers crossed). I posted some pics of our book in the thread below and compared the two volumes. The Lost Art book is well done and each has its advantages. You can't go wrong with either book in my opinion. Of course, I'd prefer you bought ours :) If you buy it from our website (www.CantonStreetPress.com) you get your choice of a free print. No Baker, unfortunately, but some cool GA covers.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=323515&Number=7264701#Post7264701

This whole eBay bidding thing makes me wonder what some people are thinking. Why would anyone start bidding up an item on the first day of the auction. Wouldn't it be better to wait until the last hour? Why draw attention to a book by bidding immediately? It's obvious that none of the bidders put in a high secret bid on the first day, so what's the point? Are they shills? or just Stoopid? If we had some guts among us, we'd just shine on any auction that takes off like a rocket the first day. Let the shills buy the book...teach the lawless and greedy sellers a lesson. :makepoint:

Oh yeah, I have been informed by one of our Boardies that sometimes this is a tactic to scare off most of the bidders early in the game. OK, I guess some people don't care how much they spend as long as they get the book... :pullhair:

This is my pet peeve. No 7 day auction should even start until the last hour.

Update: CL 25 is now at $487.87 with 5 days to go...it should be an interesting ride. :popcorn:

Lest we forget, here's MY copy (Brag, Brag) :acclaim: Not as nice as Dukedog's copy, but it works...

14ybp4w.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian