• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,322 posts in this topic

Here we go again. Place your bets. This one will be interesting, as it's missing a panel. Apparently, somebody cut out a one-panel gag cartoon, that only affects a text page on the other side. Still, I'll bet it goes for a pretty penny...

Cinderella Love 25 on eBay

I saw a really nice 5.5 at Bedrock City's booth in Chicago. Wasn't cheap.

Here we go again. Place your bets. This one will be interesting, as it's missing a panel. Apparently, somebody cut out a one-panel gag cartoon, that only affects a text page on the other side. Still, I'll bet it goes for a pretty penny...

Remember how not cheap? And, do you know if it sold?

$1750.00. It had just arrived when I saw it, and I left shortly. Better looking than the 5.5 that sold on CLink a few months ago.

$1750.00. It had just arrived when I saw it, and I left shortly. Better looking than the 5.5 that sold on CLink a few months ago.

Yikes! Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for that.

I'll be curious to see how much the Baker demand obviates the missing panel. I've had a tough time selling GA with missing panels/cut outs even when it's an ad or gag/puzzle page, selling a desirable PCH book that was otherwise VG/F for about 20% of market value due to a coupon clipped from an ad page only, and a Timely that looked close to VF for about 3.0 FMV due to a gag/puzzle page missing a 2.5 inch square piece.

The seller listed it with a BIN of $749, which was voided when the first bid was made.

CL 25 is popular because of the cover, and this copy's cover is in pretty decent shape. Sure, it doesn't show much from the shoulders down, but it's a masterful piece of artwork overall, and people obviously respond favorably to that. It's like a fireworks display of form and color, and a celebration (figuratively and literally) of artwork, in a style that's pure Americana.

I think it might even approach $300., but probably won't go higher. That's my bet.

My impression is that CL 25 hasn't been doing all that well lately. A couple of possible factors:

1. Baker fans are still a relatively small group and most of us seem to already have a copy.

2. Although it's a great cover it lacks the, ahem, sleaze factor that seems to attract non-romance collectors to some of his books.

If I didn't already have a copy, I would probably be willing to pay around $200 for this one. Any other guesses for what it closes at?

I don't see the 5.5 on Bedrock's site, so maybe he sold it in Chicago.

You could put me in this category. I like Bakers work, and if I had a bottomless wallet would probably collect it, but I have a small esoteric Romance collection that currently includes one Baker book ( T-AT #8) which I like for the reefer story and the sleazy cover. The only two other Baker romance books I ever owned were WR #17 and GCE #12 - totally due to the sleaze factor.

Still CL 25 may well be Baker's best non-sleazy Romance cover.

My impression is that CL 25 hasn't been doing all that well lately. A couple of possible factors:

1. Baker fans are still a relatively small group and most of us seem to already have a copy.

2. Although it's a great cover it lacks the, ahem, sleaze factor that seems to attract non-romance collectors to some of his books.

If I didn't already have a copy, I would probably be willing to pay around $200 for this one. Any other guesses for what it closes at?

The 5.5 was a consignment. The owner may have taken it back. Rick Starr also had a PR 8 on consignment there.

CL 25 is popular because of the cover, and this copy's cover is in pretty decent shape. Sure, it doesn't show much from the shoulders down, but it's a masterful piece of artwork overall, and people obviously respond favorably to that. It's like a fireworks display of form and color, and a celebration (figuratively and literally) of artwork, in a style that's pure Americana.

I think it might even approach $300., but probably won't go higher. That's my bet.

Don't misunderstand me -- I love the cover. It shows the talent that makes us admire Baker as much as we do. Still, though, I think that -- at least recently -- CL 25 hasn't shown the demand one would expect given its place in the Baker pantheon.

The 5.5 was a consignment. The owner may have taken it back. Rick Starr also had a PR 8 on consignment there.

Someone else mentioned that Chicago seemed slim pickings for Baker. I assume Harley didn't have much.

Via email today, Bedrock informed me that CR #25 has been sold.

Interesting. If it sold close to the asking price, that seems like a strong price.

So far as I know, the high water mark for this book was the sale of a 6.0 for $2,188 in one of the SC eBay auctions early last year.

That price struck me as high at the time and still seems high. But with Bakers, you never know.

Actually, it is PR # 7 (CGC 6.0). I made a trade so Bedrock owns it outright.

It is a sweet copy!!!

Interesting. If it sold close to the asking price, that seems like a strong price.

So far as I know, the high water mark for this book was the sale of a 6.0 for $2,188 in one of the SC eBay auctions early last year.

That price struck me as high at the time and still seems high. But with Bakers, you never know.

Richard seems firm on his prices. I should know. If there was movement, it wasn't much. Seems CL 25 still gets the goods.